Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Raptors vs Dirtbikes, rain ride  (Read 3247 times)

Offline daddyrat

• Street Cred: 3
    • Email
Raptors vs Dirtbikes, rain ride
« on: October 27, 2013, 03:48:24 PM »
I went north with my quads and let my brother Terry ride my 660 based 720 Raptor.  He led the group with a gropro pointing back at the group.  Many times in the video you will see him roosting on the group.  We also had 2 700 guys from the Raptor forum follow us up there to ride, JC and Aaron.

I rode for 5 minutes and my quad threw its "Tim Barker" rod thru the cases abruptly ending my day.  This was a 2005 686 build from Tim Barker and I am bummed.  Even though I was the only person with 2 quads there, I took my turn and waited at the trailer for the group and my brother to finish.

The bike guys were a bunch of college kids riding with their dad, who I went to high school some 30 years ago.  We had a pretty good time considering the destruction.

I finished and posted this video in less than 24 hours of the ride yesterday, that is kind of my thing.  I like to have my videos finished for my guys and their Monday morning quarterbacking.  I think the video turned out pretty good.

http://youtu.be/yjr_fBkE6nA

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 24
Re: Raptors vs Dirtbikes, rain ride
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 12:16:56 PM »
Sucks to hear about the engine.  Hope things aren't too bad when you get it apart.

The Barker/Vito's +4mm stroker assembly isn't the same part as one of Tim's rods and Tim doesn't even do those anymore either.  I don't know what, if anything, Tim still builds in house.  Carillo are bulletproof to throw into a good stock crank, Falicon can sell you everything if you're feeling spendy. I haven't dealt with anyone in the Mich/Ohio/Indy area to be able to recommend anything local.  I've had good luck with a stock stroke HR assembly but there have been a few people suffer failures like you have (though not the rod) on some previous production runs of their +4mm stroker setups.

Vid is good, production great as always.  Last time I rode in those conditions I got upended going through one of those big puddles, glad you guys avoided that :thumbs:  Thanks for sharing.

Offline daddyrat

• Street Cred: 3
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 01:29:57 PM »
Mad Dog, thanks for the reply.  Tim did my "03" 686 build back in 05 or 06 and used one of his stock length rods.  I thought I would never have trouble with it again.  I am not sure why it let go.

My other 01 Raptor has a Ebay "02" lower unit, with a Vito's 720 kit, dual Monsters, 35mm FCR's.  The quad runs great but I never ride it, usually my brother, son, or friends ride it.

I want to rebuild my "03" into something faster than the "01".  I don't see the 720 kit listed on Vito's website anymore...  I tried calling them but nobody answered, are they still in business?  This quad also has dual Monsters plus 39mm FCR's. I bought the FCR's from Geisick performance a few years ago and see he has big bore kits listed.  I am thinking another 720 kit plus head work, or... part the quad, sell the other, and get a RZR XP.   :)

I am wide open to suggestions or recommended sources for parts or builders. 

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 04:21:31 PM »
awesome switchfoot song :)

bummer to hear about your quad mano!!! :( :( :(

GREAT video as per usual. That looks like an awesome trail set. fast ridin!! :clap:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Hefe

• SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1
  • Testicular Sanitation Personnel
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 09:10:52 AM »
funny this subject came up..

Tim was here yesterday, and told me they just made another batch of 660 rods..

I thought he was totally done with that shit.. but he said his phone is blowing with people wanting 660 stuff..

so.. I guess he DOES have that stuff..
if you need his new number.. shoot me a message (or email), I can hook you up

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 03:08:38 PM »
hmmm 660's are readily available at SERIOUSLY low prices.... and so are MOST parts. makes sense I suppose?

Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline NaturalRaptor

• Potato King
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 8
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 09:23:04 AM »
Great video and song as always!   :clap:
It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.