Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: cylinder questions  (Read 2935 times)

Offline Kamakazi

• Canucks
  • Street Cred: 6
  • even dodge dealerships wont take a ford on trade
    • Email
cylinder questions
« on: September 07, 2013, 12:26:28 AM »
looks like i blew a head gasket, im looking to go to a big bore and possibly 14:1 cp piston.  what is the deal with the o-ring groove cylinders and heads, are the cylinder works ones at tqs already grooved and come with the mating gasket??  is it worth it? pics would be appreciated. also if anybody has what i want laying around in very good shape/bolt on, shoot me a pm.  Thanks.
98% of north americans that hit the ditch say "oh shit", the other 2% are from saskatchewan and say "hold my beer and watch this"

Offline denver dude

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 0
Re: cylinder questions
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 11:58:07 PM »
looks like i blew a head gasket, im looking to go to a big bore and possibly 14:1 cp piston.  what is the deal with the o-ring groove cylinders and heads, are the cylinder works ones at tqs already grooved and come with the mating gasket??  is it worth it? pics would be appreciated. also if anybody has what i want laying around in very good shape/bolt on, shoot me a pm.  Thanks.

Sup Kama?  Hope all is well with you.  The O ring theory is a great idea, and could possibly slow down the certain head gasket issues on our Raptors from happening sooner.  I personally would not know if it helps or not as I have never ran my machine with that option.  I can tell you that I had around 500 hours on my last build without it, plus I had stock head bolts.  I did step up to new ARP studs on my current build, and they are holding up just fine so far.  My compression is really high now, and I was talked into getting the ARP's for that reason.  I was also asked me if I wanted the O ring grooves cut in the head/cylinder, and I declined even though John thought it would have really helped.  Time will tell.  The TQS cylinder from what I understand does not have that option, although any builder that has the machines to cut the grooves will be able to handle this for you easily.  Depending on how hot your Raptor got, you may want to get the head trued up while it is apart as well.  My 2 cents.  Later eh!
Racers Edge 777 Raptor  "YETTI"
2003 Kawasaki Lakota 300
BAD ASS 400ex

Don't let your battleship mouth override your rowboat ass.

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 08:23:02 AM »
+1

I never saw the O-ring out perform a stndard gasket with ARPs

Offline Magz

• Site Sponsor
  • Street Cred: 12
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 02:54:01 PM »
standard gaskets with ARPs here................

you can really torque them bitches down............and they hold.............I was skeptical the first time........

Online Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 03:33:56 PM »
even though you're using the ARP's you shouldn't really be torquing them down past spec should you?

I wouldn't want to warp the head.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline preddy08

• MD's baby momma
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 28
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 04:37:41 PM »
It all comes down to machine work.

I'd be willing to bet if you had the surfaces properly preped, and everything went together well that a 14.1 piston wouldnt push out coolant at stock tq specs.

adding orings and studs is only a safe guard to help prevent the unfortunate.
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

Offline Kamakazi

• Canucks
  • Street Cred: 6
  • even dodge dealerships wont take a ford on trade
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 10:04:26 AM »
thanks for the replies.  i think i will just go without the o-ring.  i dont think things got too hot, as i only took the quad for a 5 minute ride and noticed i was sprayed with coolant half way through that.  Heck to be honest i might not even need a cylinder. i have been too busy to pull the head, but i dropped the oil and there was no coolant in there thankfully.  i will definately be going with the arp studs though, does anybody have a part#?
98% of north americans that hit the ditch say "oh shit", the other 2% are from saskatchewan and say "hold my beer and watch this"

Offline Magz

• Site Sponsor
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 11:41:33 AM »
even though you're using the ARP's you shouldn't really be torquing them down past spec should you?

I wouldn't want to warp the head.

I torqued my bitches down hard.............forgot if i did 45lbs or 65lbs...........I went with what the popular kids were doing at the time..........
but I did it in like 20 stages to try and avoid warping................started with like 15 went to 20, 25 and so on...........
It's been running good since..........

except for when peels came over and rubbed his herpes all over the seat...........but thats another story.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 11:43:04 AM by Mags »

Offline Magz

• Site Sponsor
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 11:47:52 AM »
thanks for the replies.  i think i will just go without the o-ring.  i dont think things got too hot, as i only took the quad for a 5 minute ride and noticed i was sprayed with coolant half way through that.  Heck to be honest i might not even need a cylinder. i have been too busy to pull the head, but i dropped the oil and there was no coolant in there thankfully.  i will definately be going with the arp studs though, does anybody have a part#?

I got mine off ebay.......not sure the ARP part #..........

either way make sure you have a 12pt 11mm deep socket that fits your torque wrench...........kind of an oddball size...........I didnt have one had to go on the hunt on a sunday afternoon was not fun.................