Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Yamaha BW80  (Read 4994 times)

Offline rupp49er

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 0
    • Email
Yamaha BW80
« on: December 14, 2011, 09:23:38 PM »
Hi, anyone know much about these little monsters? I picked one up a few months ago and am trying to gather parts so I can have this bad boy together by the spring...trying to decide how I am going to proceed on the motor, but those parts are easily accessible, I am looking for a seat, or at least a useable seat pan...if anyone knows anything about these I am all ears, or if anyone has any parts I am all over it!
'07 700r a little motor and a lot of suspension.

Offline rupp49er

• VIP
    • Email
Re: Yamaha BW80
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 07:51:01 PM »
Got it running, need to sort the carb out, but it is alive. Got to get it running perfect for Walden.

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 09:13:55 AM »
that thign is freakin sweet!!!

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline rupp49er

• VIP
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 02:43:51 PM »
Thanks, it's going to be my sand pit bike...I had an add on CL looking for parts locally and a guy has a pretty good condition one that he is making me a sweet deal on, so now I will have his and hers. Rides like a marshmallow, its super smooth, at least in my neighborhood! Hopefully they will both be running good for the Walden Rally....

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 03:03:14 PM »
ERMAHGERD I wanted one of those when I was a kid!!!!  SWEET!  :thumbs: I remember riding in the car from Cali to Iowa to visit family. Watching out the window imaging myself riding one through the ditches the whole way...  :lol: :nod:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline rupp49er

• VIP
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 03:20:41 PM »
I know, I always liked them too. I had an XR75 when I was a kid and I was able to parlay a bunch of crap in my basement into one of them, it is a good neighborhood cruiser because it is pretty quiet. But I think the BW will clean it's clock, especially if I ever get it running right...I bought a Chineese top end for it off ebay, the first one had some broken fins on the cylinder, so they sent me another one which had more broken fins. Still waiting for a good one...anyway, I got tired of waiting to put it together, so I took out my dremel and did a little hillbilly porting, mostly on the exhaust, and put it together with the better of the two cylinders...I have to bend a pipe to put on a silencer, I found a DG on ebay for $8, then I can really work on tuning the carb. The one I am getting tonight is in better shape and supposedly ran last summer and has just been sitting, there isnt much that can actually be wrong on these things, they are as simple as they get as evidenced by me rebuilding this one...

Offline Bert

• Street Cred: 7
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 06:19:01 AM »
Cool ! Keep us updated

Offline rupp49er

• VIP
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 01:27:56 PM »
Picked up number two Friday, pretty fair shape, all there good seat...exhaust was so plugged it would hardly run, got it opened up a little, runs ok now. The first one I put together still has carb issues, but it runs circles around the second one. Going to do all the cheap mods to them first, open the airbox, drill the restrictor out of the pipe and move the needle up one on the carb, and then see how they run. My kid has a 125 Pit Bike that I want to beat with one of these...Everything that work for a PW80 applies to these as they the same thing basically. I'll put some pics up tonight...

Offline rupp49er

• VIP
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 09:42:07 PM »
Ok, here is #2. It really is in pretty good shape overall. Took the two BW's, the XR75 and the pit bike out to an open area with some trails, all of them ran pretty good. Number one is strong, kills #2 and the XR, once I get it breathing better and re gear it might run with the damn pit bike. Second pick is after removing the crappy decals...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 09:59:07 PM by rupp49er »

Offline Bert

• Street Cred: 7
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 10:24:50 AM »
Its hard finding stuff like that. You've acquired your own little herd. Lol.

Offline rupp49er

• VIP
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 08:15:17 PM »
I know, I have to actually stop looking because I don't need any more...I do love all three of them, they are all quite different, even the two BW's. Plus thye make my raptor feel really fast when I go back to riding it.