Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: STUDS 12  (Read 1823 times)

Offline daddyrat

• Street Cred: 3
    • Email
STUDS 12
« on: January 27, 2013, 09:25:46 AM »
After a year with no safe ice, I met up with my dirt bike buddy Pat. He has a dedicated ice bike, an old 79 Honda XL 500. Another guy was there, Stan, who was riding a KX 500 and they both were very fast. It turns out that Stan and I had a Vo tech class together in highschool 35 years ago and I hadn't seen him since. He reminded me of some of the trouble we got into back than which I probably shouldn't mention online. Pat's step son, Harvey was also there riding a CR 250.

My snowmobile studed front tires worked great, but the rear tires didn't hook up coming out of the corners. The bikes had Kold Kutters and I got creamed down the straights which can be seen on a few clips. I originally chose those spikes to foof around, and ride snow covered ice but hoped they would work with these guys, they didn't. I ended up just tearing up the ice on their track.

The tune is from Fu Mancho and you may remember was used in Huevos 4 video ice racing segment. I got out the swivel cam but didn't aim it right again...

http://youtu.be/B7ghgTuiucQ 

Offline Hefe

• SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1
  • Testicular Sanitation Personnel
    • Email
Re: STUDS 12
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 05:58:28 PM »
man I do miss that!!

Online Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 10:42:06 AM »
Yea, didn't look like there was much hooking up in the corners from you. snowmobiles (depending on how many studs) will have close to 1/2 of their studs touching the ice at any given point. So probably 50+.. vs your maybe 10? get some screws in there, and I bet you'll be a lot quicker :)

great vid!!!

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline daddyrat

• Email
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 01:55:40 PM »
Yea, didn't look like there was much hooking up in the corners from you. snowmobiles (depending on how many studs) will have close to 1/2 of their studs touching the ice at any given point. So probably 50+.. vs your maybe 10? get some screws in there, and I bet you'll be a lot quicker :)

great vid!!!

I agree, my original idea with the snowmobile studs was only to play around on the snow covered ice, and not have to shovel a track.  My buddy Pat has been pestering me about coming over there.  I tried to convince them that we didn't need to plow a track and we should just ride an oval in the snow, but no go.  :)  I am thinking of loading up my rear pair of Maxis Rzr II's with Kold Kutters and going at it again with the bikes.  On a positive note, my spiked front tires worked great!  Maybe in 2 weeks, if there is still good ice, I will go over there and take on the bikes again.  You know, I could have edited those corners out.  :) 

Next Saturday, I plan to ride quads with my brothers.  We will all have similar setups and just foof around at the swamp.  Thanks!   :thumbs:

Offline daddyrat

• Email
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 04:09:24 AM »
Yesterday, I couldn't ride with my brothers because the ice was too thin around the edges from our warm up last week.  So I studded my Razr 2's with 1000 Kold Kutters.  I look forward to next Saturday for a rematch with the bikes.  Weather and ice thickness permitting...

Online Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 02:18:34 PM »
damn.... NICE
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Hefe

• SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1
  • Testicular Sanitation Personnel
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 08:18:59 AM »
wow... nice work Tom!