Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: coolant temp sensor  (Read 7097 times)

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
coolant temp sensor
« on: June 29, 2008, 03:00:23 PM »
Hey 660 guys.... I didn't even know I had a cooling fan on the 660 til 6 months ago or so. I have never heard it run, so today, I took it apart. Fan works by shorting the sensor.  :thumbs: Do I just buy a new sensor, or is there something else I should be checking first?

I do run Engine Ice in it, maybe it keeps it cool enough that it won't trip the switch and run?
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline HammosDS450X

• Street Cred: 1
  • This was My Beautiful Quad Pm Me for Parts
    • Email
Re: coolant temp sensor
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 03:14:18 PM »
I cant remember how to Test it but if you need a new one i have one sitting on a shelve in the shop right now Just Let me know :thumbs:
you need Parts for your 660 Raptor Message me and We will see what I Can do for you

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 03:47:16 PM »
I cant remember how to Test it but if you need a new one i have one sitting on a shelve in the shop right now Just Let me know :thumbs:

right on, thanks. :thumbs:

Do you remember ever hearing it run when you were riding the 660?
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline RR34

• this is doo doo baby!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 06:56:16 PM »
idk if this helps but the fan on my quad has come on once, during break in for like 30 secs. never heard it on since. might be hard to hear while operating if you have an exhaust on though ???
f*ck the system? i didnt even know there was a system!

[URL=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=119&i=12144039584121zx

Offline HammosDS450X

• Email
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 09:16:49 PM »
I Actually had Mine Bypassed to a switch But i Live in a Colder climate To... Rarely see higher then 25 celsius
you need Parts for your 660 Raptor Message me and We will see what I Can do for you

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 09:42:48 PM »
I Actually had Mine Bypassed to a switch But i Live in a Colder climate To... Rarely see higher then 25 celsius

very, very good idea. Wiring one up this week. Most of my riding is fall/winter. +1- karma cherry has been popped. :rofl:

Offline HammosDS450X

• Email
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 09:43:35 PM »
You Know how to do the Bypass?

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 09:45:35 PM »
You Know how to do the Bypass?

I would just wire a toggle switch to the connector for the switch. I just closed the circuit with a paperclip to check the fan motor. Wiring a manual switch in there is a great idea.

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 07:22:42 AM »
I know mine isnt' a 660, but I think I've only heard my fan come on maybe 2 times in the 2 years I've had it. They seem to run pretty cool.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 08:08:05 AM »
I know mine isnt' a 660, but I think I've only heard my fan come on maybe 2 times in the 2 years I've had it. They seem to run pretty cool.

thanks krandall, that is what I was thinking. Just worried because I lug around rough trails sometimes. I have never seen the temp light come on, either, I think it's OK, but I might wire the switch just for insurance.

OT:  Handlebars? ;)

Offline ThisGuyAlex

• Email
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 11:34:25 AM »
mine barely ever turns on....it's gotta be hot......but on anything if you unplug or short the coolant temp sensoe it automatically turns the fan on....it's a protection strategy so you can't overheat it if the sensor fails....
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 11:36:04 AM by ThisGuyAlex »
sold the raptor....full on 05 yfz in progress...

stock parts: fuel tank, swingarm and rear shock

Offline DECEPTiON21

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 0
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 05:54:59 PM »
My temp sensor went out about a year back. I replaced the sensor and ran a switch parallel. That way, I can turn the fan on if i want to, but if i forget to turn it on, the temp sensor should trigger it.
05 660R with some stuff

06 2500 CTD on Rockstars

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 05:55:44 PM »
My temp sensor went out about a year back. I replaced the sensor and ran a switch parallel. That way, I can turn the fan on if i want to, but if i forget to turn it on, the temp sensor should trigger it.

good thinking

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 09:17:05 PM »
For closure, I will update:

Fan turned on for the first time,(that I noticed) last week. I ran back to the garage, and hit it with the temp gauge and read 175 degrees. Not sure how accurate that is, though. I think I just noticed becaus i was puitting around without the helmet on scoping out a new trail. Just runs cool enough that it doesn't need to turn it on all the time. 
Besides, I always turn the key off when we stop, which shuts off the fan. :thumbs: I am guessing that is why I never have noticed. Thanks to all who replied. -Eric

Offline racinjason68

• Wizard Of No2
  • Street Cred: 2
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2008, 02:19:09 PM »
If you think the fan should be on turn off the quad and then turn the switch back on for a min or two.  Then fan may come on then and you will hear it.   I have thought about wiring a LED or light up to  the fan side of the switch, so I can see when it is running or should be. 

Then again the fan on the 660s dont seem to run much unless really hot out or really hammering on it for a good amount of time.  The cooling system seems to be pretty good, but as with any cooling system if one part fails then you could be in trouble real quick.

Gonna be stupid you better be tuff.  

Got duals ?