Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Basic Mod List  (Read 13697 times)

Offline Jester2893

• Street Cred: 5
  • Someone buy me a KFX450 or a Can-am 450. =]
    • My Feedback
    • Email
Basic Mod List
« on: June 29, 2008, 12:39:41 AM »
Exhaust:

-Header-
The header pipe on the raptor 350s are good, and I personally, among many others would not change it unless you want to spend the extra money. If you do the following brands of headers are commonly used.

-FMF Power Bomb Header
-Pro Circuit Header

-Slip on/Silencer-
A lot of 350 owners ride with the HMF slip on. Its a highly recommend slip on with a lot of gains. Other well known brands are.

-HMF
-FMF
-TWO BROTHERS
-PRO CIRCUIT
-BIG GUN
-LRD

Air Filter:

The air filter goes great with a pipe upgrade. You will feel the power increase of a filter more with the add on of a exhaust. Depending on weather you want to go foam or paper or high flow or replacement is up to you. Modquad makes a great High Flow setup for around 100$ in foam and paper.

-Modquad System with Foam Filter
-Modquad System with K&N Filter

LID OR NO LID?

Well personally, I run with no air box lid. With the way the seat sits so close to the air box, it makes for a very good surrounding barrier to keep mud and dirt out of the air box. If your not into completely removing your air box, there is something called the "Pro-Tec Airbox Lid."

**Do not take your air box lid off if you only have a air filter that is a direct replacment of stock. Only take your air box lid off if you have a pro-flow kit which allows you to take the lid of because it doesn't use the lid to holed the filter in place. With Yamaha's design, the air box lid holds down the air filter. With removal of the lid the air filter will come loose and just sit in your air box, doing nothing.**

**By doing any of the above mods, you will be changing the amount of air that goes into your 350, thus requiring you to rejet your carburetor. When adding a pipe,filter and running with no lid most people use the following jets;

125 pilot jet.
155 main jet.
Clip in middle position (stock).

This do vary from place to place because of climate and other factors but the above jet sizes are starting points..**

Sprocket:

Well sprockets do a lot of different things depending on the sizes and weather you change the front or rear. The easiest way to get more bottom or top end, is to change the front sprocket. Changing only the front sprocket is easier and cheaper.

-The two most common sporckets used are in the front.(12 + 14 tooth)

12 Tooth- This will give you more bottom end then top. You will loose a bit of top, but defiantly notice your bottom end. You will go through the gears a lot faster, and first gear is pretty much useless.

14 Tooth- This will give you more top end, but loose a bit of acceleration. The gears will last a bit longer, but be harder to wheelie. Once in the wheelie you will be able to stay in one gear longer.

These two types of sprockets are the most widely used. These are the only two I have experience with also.

Tires:

Upgrading the stock tires on the raptor 350, can be just as beneficial as upgrading the filter or pipe.
There are many good tires so its hard to list them all here, but two very good brands are;

-Holeshots
-Maxxis

Please if you have any questions, suggestions, or anything to add to this, feel free to pm me, thank you.

- This is a basic list of bolt on upgrades. There are many mods depending on how deep your pockets are so feel free to ask about those mods on the forum!

:rockon:
=[

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
Re: Basic Mod List
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 07:24:53 AM »
Great write-up Jester!  :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

+1 for you

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Jester2893

• Street Cred: 5
  • Someone buy me a KFX450 or a Can-am 450. =]
    • My Feedback
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 12:15:28 PM »
Thanks dude! I wrote it for that other site, then with the rearranging of this site, the old one got lost so I decided to change a couple things and repost it.
=[

Offline kyledvor61

• Mini Mini Ho
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 17
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 12:36:29 PM »
**Do not take your air box lid off if you only have a air filter that is a direct replacment of stock. Only take your air box lid off if you have a pro-flow kit which allows you to take the lid of because it doesn't use the lid to holed the filter in place. With Yamaha's design, the air box lid holds down the air filter. With removal of the lid the air filter will come loose and just sit in your air box, doing nothing.**

learned that the hard way but luckily we were out on the ice and not dirt

Offline apkraptor04

• Street Cred: 0
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 10:52:58 AM »
I have removed my spark arrestor. i think its attached to the baffle? Is this the same air flow as having an aftermarket pipe? someone i talked to had suggested that it is. I also have the GYT-R jet kit i put in last weekend. I left the stock 22.5 pilot jet in and switched to the 155 main jet and the clip in the middle. I have the GYT-R intake kit and the lid off with the above mentioned SA or baffle or whatever removed. Should i go to the 25 pilot jet and 165 main as the kit suggests with lid off and aftermarket pipe?

Offline Flynbyu

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 23
  • I'm all out of quotes, take off hoser
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 11:00:56 AM »
I have removed my spark arrestor. i think its attached to the baffle? Is this the same air flow as having an aftermarket pipe? someone i talked to had suggested that it is. I also have the GYT-R jet kit i put in last weekend. I left the stock 22.5 pilot jet in and switched to the 155 main jet and the clip in the middle. I have the GYT-R intake kit and the lid off with the above mentioned SA or baffle or whatever removed. Should i go to the 25 pilot jet and 165 main as the kit suggests with lid off and aftermarket pipe?

If you bump your pilot, you will have better throttle response up to half throttle. Chances are probably going to be running very rich by just removing the baffle on 155 mains.

If you had a full system, I would recommend 155 main, modified air box lid, and 25 pilots with no other motor mods.

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 11:01:11 AM »
very close to having a slip-on. But, some parks require a spark arrestor to ride.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline apkraptor04

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 04:59:48 PM »
ok thank you both. yea, it seems to run a little rich, but man the power increase is way more than i expected! it grabs the front tires off the ground on pavement now, well maybe about 1/32 of an inch but still! haha. Now to get some aftermarket tires to replace the crappy stocks....:(

Offline apkraptor04

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 06:55:14 PM »
thats going into second on the tire thing......whoops. lol  ???

Offline D.Owelo

Basic Mod List
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 01:24:54 PM »
Hello All,

I would like to start a Mod Wish List.

lets keep it real.

This will help Trace work out what we want.

Gezza.

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 02:05:29 PM »
Whats your:

A: Plans (mods you're looking for)
B: Funds Available

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once