Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Need help from the pros, 06 YFZ450 shifter issue  (Read 4351 times)

Offline Socal 700r

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
Need help from the pros, 06 YFZ450 shifter issue
« on: December 31, 2012, 09:13:23 AM »
Hi guys, been a while.  :help:

Just got back from Glamis (10 day trip) ......need moisture!!!

Anyways, couple of issues this vacation to deal with. One of which is on my 700 (i'll save that for another forum) and one on my wifes YFZ. That thing has had some expensive problems this whole season. Before our Thanksgiving trip I did an oil and filter change...senthetic blend is what i use. put two quarts in it and it was a bit over the full mark on the sump dip stick. Rode it (the wifey) out at glamis for the week...not alot but 1 to 2 times a day of a couple of hours. she started smelling anti-freeze and said the clutch was getting sticky after we would stop to let cool down.... :confused:  So looking at the resivior I noticed it was losing some so i checked the oil and there was no oil registering at all so I added....and added....and well, added. f'er took 1.5 quarts..... well f me. Ran good for our last ride and clutch needed minor adjustment on cable. So now we come out for our Christmas trip and our second ride the clutch got sticky on her after we stopped for a cool down, this time really sticky. So I muscled it pretty good to try to break it loose and snapped the cable. F'me! went to the vendors and the had what i needed so i did the repair and all is well for the next 4 days. Then with two days to go, wifey is running it up China Wall gets to the top and says the shifter is not working???? :(  (two way radio communucation) so i head up and check out the sitch and the shifter is loose as a goose hanging down. I could slide it all the way in and out to the footpeg and feel it catching nothing. You could flip it all the way back to the footwell. I haven't taken the footpeg off to slide the shifter all the way out yet because it would seem that i'm gonna have to take the motor out and split the case to fix this.

Any thoughts or ideas on this besides the obvious (should've checked oil)? I used to run banshees and now realizing that these 4 strokes really burn oil! 
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 09:17:50 AM by Socal 700r »
Glamis Beach!

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
Re: Need help from the pros, 06 YFZ450 shifter issue
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 11:37:05 AM »
you got ten days in glamis?

I dont know you, but I already  hate you.  ;)

you shouldnt be burning a quart and a half though, man. you have something messed up beyond the gearbox problem.

is this an old yfz or a newer generation?
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 11:37:18 AM »
No way. You shouldn't burn oil at all!!! Granted, I have little experience with the 450, but my 700 didn't hardly burn oil at all!

This is an educated guess. but if the shifter moves freely with out actually moving the trans.. It sounds like either the shaft or something with a shift fork :/

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 11:52:08 AM »
the motor spins freely still?

Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Socal 700r

• Email
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 04:24:16 PM »
Bought it new in 06...it has the anniversery colors (yellow/black). But after i added more oil it stayed good the whole time. I did notice alot of residue around the filler cap, just figured it was a little leakage but not that much.

I'm in the pool and spa biz, i left the Friday before christmas and stayed until Sunday after xmas! Do it every season!! :) Thanksgiving goes the same way!

She rode it back to camp in second gear, so everything worked well after it broke,...except the clutch of course.

What parts do i need and can i do this with motor still in place?

Thanks.
Glamis Beach!

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 07:39:41 PM »
unsure. I would bet you have to pull it. and split it.  I would HOPE it is a lost pin or or clip or something that holds the shaft in... not something worse. like busted shaft or linkage

Dont know much about the yfz mano.

good luck.

invite us to next time you hit the dunes for 10 days.  lol

Online Hefe

• SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1
  • Testicular Sanitation Personnel
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 01:58:36 PM »
Yea. You're going to have to pull the motor and tear it down. Good time to freshen it up anyway. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Best of luck to ya.

Offline Socal 700r

• Email
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 04:16:59 PM »
Update: Got to it without pulling the motor, just remove the clutch and basket and a few lines connected to it to extract the other side. Ordered a new one hopefully it goes together smooth??? Will update upon completion. Did the cam mod and zip tie mod while it's apart as well.

One thing i did notice doing the cam mod is that when i spun the magnito to line up the TDC it wasn't right with sprockets? But i'm pretty sure it was because i replaced the old magnito with a new more powereful one for the HID's and never lined that up. But that was a while ago and it's run pretty good since that was installed. So i just referenced the dots located on the cam sprockets as being TDC and adjusted accordingly. Hopefully this thing works perfect when i'm done. Crossing my fingersXX.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 08:52:46 AM by Socal 700r »
Glamis Beach!