Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: 660 raptor problem please help  (Read 5648 times)

Offline aaron

• Street Cred: -1
    • Email
660 raptor problem please help
« on: March 07, 2012, 10:02:28 AM »
hey there ive got a 2001 raptor 660 everything is stock on it expet for the kn air filter has the air box lid still on it,new carb rebuild kit with stock jets,valves were checked,has 180 psi compression,strat,idles and drives but has no power at all seems really boggy through out the whole throttle i have the carbs tuned at about 4 and half turns out were is the only setting it seems to run fine.

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
Re: 660 raptor problem please help
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 10:27:18 AM »
sounds like it maybe running rich. Do you smell fuel in the exhaust? What elevation are you riding at? Stock jets for the midwest are way too rich for a stock bike in places like here in Colorado.

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 10:54:54 AM »
YAY a 660 question!!!!  :nod:

does it sputter and pop when you mash the throttle?

Or...does it sputter for a sec, then take off fine?

Or does it stay really really bogged down through all rpms with throttle open....?

carb rebuild...? hmmmm check to see both bowls are filling... stuck float? you could be starving it. Stuck choke...?

stock jets should be fine...

there is always that off chance the good ole parking brake or clutch sensor is shorted too.... my favorite. cuts timing above 2000 rpm and makes you think you have a fuel problem.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline aaron

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 11:33:32 AM »
(sounds like it maybe running rich. Do you smell fuel in the exhaust? What elevation are you riding at? Stock jets for the midwest are way too rich for a stock bike in places like here in Colorado.)

(YAY a 660 question!!!!

does it sputter and pop when you mash the throttle?

Or...does it sputter for a sec, then take off fine?

Or does it stay really really bogged down through all rpms with throttle open....?

carb rebuild...? hmmmm check to see both bowls are filling... stuck float? you could be starving it. Stuck choke...?

stock jets should be fine...

there is always that off chance the good ole parking brake or clutch sensor is shorted too.... my favorite. cuts timing above 2000 rpm and makes you think you have a fuel problem.)it seems to stay boggy through all the rpms the float level are at what book calls for choke is not stuck on wen put on it gets worse

yes i can smell some fuel coming out of the axhaust and im not sure of the elevation but im from novascotia,and had one before that had ran fine with stock jetting.

thanks for replying so quick guys :)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 11:36:15 AM by PeelsSE2 »

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 11:35:25 AM »
hmmm, did you mix up where the Needle clip goes maybe?
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline aaron

• Email
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 11:51:18 AM »
(hmmm, did you mix up where the Needle clip goes maybe?)
ive set as what book calls for on the third clip as well ive tryed adjusting to see if made a difference and didnt really seem to make all that much of a difference

Offline aaron

• Email
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 12:09:42 PM »
think it could be a spark issue?

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 03:22:37 PM »
yes....very well could be.

no chance this bike was rolled is there?

I say that, because the parking brake sensor likes to break and cut revs....happened to me. disconnect that sucker.

follow the wire from the parking brake down underneath the grill til you find the connector. just unplug it. It's a Long shot, but it's an easy one to scratch off the list....

Offline aaron

• Email
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »
(yes....very well could be.

no chance this bike was rolled is there?

I say that, because the parking brake sensor likes to break and cut revs....happened to me. disconnect that sucker.

follow the wire from the parking brake down underneath the grill til you find the connector. just unplug it. It's a Long shot, but it's an easy one to scratch off the list....)
the bike has been rolled looking at the plastics of it i had just recently boughton the quad to fix up were had gotton for a pre good price
i have unplugged the pb switch were it wouldnt rev at all befor and will atelast rev but is reallyboggy as well i have grounded the reverse switch not sure if that hlps any of it but did take out the spittering and sputtering it was doin wen i put in reverse.
this bike just got me  ??? i dunno what else to try other than a new cdi as i already tryed another coil

Offline aaron

• Email
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 03:49:04 PM »
just dont wanna buy a new cdi and it not be that

Offline aaron

• Email
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 04:02:12 PM »
has tons of blue spark though wen i checked for spark

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 04:02:55 PM »
Never experienced a CDI problem. But I have heard of it happening.....  :(

it doesnt sound like fuel to me... ???

Offline aaron

• Email
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 04:08:51 PM »
yeh i have no idea what it could be ive tryed just about everything i can think of now wen u do a compression test do you give it anythrottle?

Offline aaron

• Email
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 04:13:04 PM »
i did have a other cdi i did try awhile ago were i had some spare parts layin around but wen i put it in i could smell something buring then it just poof and blew a whole out the back of it and was like  ??? wtf bike wasnt even turned on or nothing were didnt even have enough time to turn it on unpluged it and through the origainol one back on other cdi was from a 2001 as well but GERD only knows if that one was good as well

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 09:14:17 PM »
could check for bad spark plug wire... Ive seen them with insulation gone and shorting out...

grasping at straws with you....