Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Retirement  (Read 6907 times)

Offline Gunz

• My body is your wonderland
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 36
    • Dent Source
Retirement
« on: November 27, 2011, 11:54:38 AM »
I don't have one, so my plan is to rule the world!!!! How many of you have one set up? Are you counting on it to work out for you?  I see plenty of older people getting by on theirs, but for the life of me I don't know of anybody my age that is setting one back. I know it takes discipline but it is truly hard in today's economics.

Dent Source LLC

941 +10 w/bar

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
Re: Retirement
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 12:51:49 PM »
I have a retirement, but I doubt I'll ever see it. I work till the day I die.

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 07:39:46 PM »
I have a decent one set up and going. But I doubt it will be worth a shit. Ill be with aaron, rocking the scooter chair to work until we die.

Just hope what happened to dad doesnt happen to me.  Get to retirement, have a big party, then have a fukin heart attack the next day. :mad: I know if he is out there somewhere he is pissed off as FERK :lol:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline phucker

• Phrankenstein
  • VIP -
  • Street Cred: 7
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 10:16:22 PM »
ya i keep playin the lotto, i figure its about as good as investing

Offline Hefe

• SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1
  • Testicular Sanitation Personnel
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 10:43:32 AM »
not yet...

but thinking of investing in gold...

like real pieces of gold....
like coins and shit...

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 12:38:58 PM »
not yet...

but thinking of investing in gold...

like real pieces of gold....
like coins and shit...

Thought you were gonna start busting out teeth of rap stars or something :lol:

Offline dragonz

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 6
  • Dammed if I do & Dammed if I don't
    • Real Robots!
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 12:05:06 AM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
2003 Raptor 660LE
719cc with Kenz 13.5:1 piston
X-4 cam & no decomp
39mm FCR's
HV ported head
Ferrea SS Valves
CT Sonic Exhaust
GYTR Clutch

ASR +3+1 A-Arms & Works Tripple Rates
450 Front Calipers
+2 Extended Swingarm
G-Force Axle & Hubs.
Pro Armour Skid Plate
Tusk Nerfs

Gonna be a fun ride now!

Offline Lady4Fiddy

• Rally Queen
  • Ninjas
  • Street Cred: 20
  • I'm just your average Crazy Ass Woman!
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 07:01:22 AM »
Don't invest in gold or silver it varies too much. In my job I see too many people that have lost almost everything due to investing in variable products and not knowing enough about the stock market and financial advisors are rarely looking out for your best interest. if you want to grow your retirement find an indexed annuity with a reputable company. You will get the gains of the stock market without the risk of loss. I work with 20-24 people a week and it is heartbreaking to see how everything they worked for was lost to bad investments. If you're going to invest keep in mind the rule of 100. If you are 30 yrs old 30% of your money should be in a fixed account where it is safe, 50yrs old 50% and so on.
Sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me! >:D

Offline dragonz

• VIP
    • Real Robots!
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 08:22:52 AM »
Oh shit, who let the professional in here....................
2003 Raptor 660LE
X-4 cam & no decomp
39mm FCR's
HV ported head
Ferrea SS Valves
CT Sonic Exhaust
GYTR Clutch

450 Front Calipers
+2 Extended Swingarm
G-Force Axle & Hubs.
Pro Armour Skid Plate
Tusk Nerfs

Gonna be a fun ride now!

Online Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 08:42:40 AM »
People told others to not invest in gold in the 90's and it's gone up 10fold. :shrug:

I don't think there's any one good answer. I got a 401k, market sucks right now, but I have time on my side I figure. :)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline dragonz

• VIP
    • Real Robots!
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 09:17:03 PM »
Land & precious metals are the best long-term investments you can make IMHO.

Note: LONG TERM

if you are after a quick buck, look somewhere else.

In 10 years time my property will be worth about $2million, if I sell it now, $700k tops.
2003 Raptor 660LE
X-4 cam & no decomp
39mm FCR's
HV ported head
Ferrea SS Valves
CT Sonic Exhaust
GYTR Clutch

450 Front Calipers
+2 Extended Swingarm
G-Force Axle & Hubs.
Pro Armour Skid Plate
Tusk Nerfs

Gonna be a fun ride now!

Offline Gunz

• SiteAdmin
    • Dent Source
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 10:42:31 PM »
If you're going to invest keep in mind the rule of 100. If you are 30 yrs old 30% of your money should be in a fixed account where it is safe, 50yrs old 50% and so on.

This equals to "Work your life away". I can't be apart of that. I want to enjoy life and if that means struggling at the end, then I except that challenge.

Dent Source LLC

941 +10 w/bar

Offline Gunz

• SiteAdmin
    • Dent Source
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 10:45:49 PM »
People told others to not invest in gold in the 90's and it's gone up 10fold. :shrug:

I don't think there's any one good answer. I got a 401k, market sucks right now, but I have time on my side I figure. :)

I remember gold at $200/ounce in the late 90's and radio commercials talking about it going to $400 one of these days. Look at it now, what $1700/ounce. Cripes!!!!! Every person I know that has a 401k has taken it in the ass over the past 3 years.

Gold will drop in the next few years and you can bet I'll buy 100k worth of it as soon as it does.

Dent Source LLC

941 +10 w/bar

Offline dragonz

• VIP
    • Real Robots!
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 11:02:11 PM »
My parents have done this very well.
They never made big money, didn't buy new cars, or have the triendiest things.
But we never lacked for good food or cheer.
If they saw something special & they wanted it, they got it.
They put some money into property, other money into managed investments, & lived a good life, working hard, but not too hard to stop & play.

Some of the property investments saw only small returns, others very significant returns.
Sadly, many of the "professionally managed" investments lost money, some did break even, & they have a couple of others that sit in the "wait & see" basket..............

But they are now in their 70's & retired.
Dad still takes on projects.
He has 3 rules to any prospective customer
1/ it must have sufficient artistic or technical merit for his interest
2/ he has no deadlines
3/ it costs what he asks & there will be no negotiation on that.

Dad has a cousin here in the US who is unwell. I offered to buy dad a ticket to come see him, but he replied, don't worry, I can buy a ticket any time I want to go. Tim thinks it best that I wait till he is well again.....
They have upgraded their cars in the last 3 years, nothing too flashy, not new ones, but low mileage quality vehicles that should see them out.

I could live with that
2003 Raptor 660LE
X-4 cam & no decomp
39mm FCR's
HV ported head
Ferrea SS Valves
CT Sonic Exhaust
GYTR Clutch

450 Front Calipers
+2 Extended Swingarm
G-Force Axle & Hubs.
Pro Armour Skid Plate
Tusk Nerfs

Gonna be a fun ride now!

Offline Lady4Fiddy

• Rally Queen
  • Ninjas
  • Street Cred: 20
  • I'm just your average Crazy Ass Woman!
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 12:11:46 PM »
401k's have screwed so many people, I see it everyday and it happened to my father who worked at a company for over 25 years.

The rule of 100 is the minimum you should have in safe money for your age, if you feel a higher % should be safe then that is smart in my opinion.

Gold is at the highest its ever been but will drop down soon, leaving those who invested (say there was a 40% drop) having to gain 67% back to recover losses as with any variable investment.

Back in the 80's % rates were great for investing, even CD's were getting 12-18%! Now you are lucky to get 2% on a 60 month CD.

1998 was a good year, the S&P500 went up 26.67% there was a lot going on in the world of technology and russia was helping with inflation.

2008 the government begins to intervene in the U.S. financial system to avoid a crisis. The Federal Reserve outlines a $200 billion loan program that lets the country's biggest banks borrow Treasury securities at discounted rates and post mortgage-backed securities as collateral. March 16th the Federal Reserve approves a $30 billion loan to JPMorgan Chase so it can take over Bear Stearns, which is on the verge of collapse. so bail outs start, the goverment is trying to control the U. S. financial system and guess what happens the S&P500 goes down 38.49%.

Now in 2011 look what is going on in major events that affect investing, there are still bail outs being given, the Federal Reserve gave out more money to help spike inflation but banks are not loaning out money. The government is trying to control interest rates and thus no inflation is happening which means the economy is suffering, people are not spending money, and the stock market has plummeted. Not to mention what is going on with foreign currency.

Now I am no genius, nor a fortune teller but I can see a pattern in history, major events can either spike or drop the market which greatly affects investments. From 2000 to 2008 a person that put $100,000 in a fixed indexed GP Annuity(indexed off the S&P500) with an 10% cap made $40,634 (leaving them with $140,634), while someone who had that money in the stock market in the S&P500 (variable products) ended up with only $61,477 out of that $100,000. I don't know about you but I don't really like the volatility of the stock market. Maybe its because I visit with 20-24 people a week and see how it has effected them. I am now helping them plan their retirement and helping them protect their assets.

Its up to you how you invest your money, I know quite a few people who have done well in investments, their financial advisor is either a friend or family member that kept their accounts well maintained. Just be smart, do your research and keep up on your accounts and the market. :thumbs:

Sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me! >:D