Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Hefe'z YFZr from 450 to 700  (Read 9461 times)

Offline Hefe

• SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1
  • Testicular Sanitation Personnel
    • Email
Hefe'z YFZr from 450 to 700
« on: October 05, 2011, 07:02:52 PM »
Well, I guess it's about time I made a build thread about my latest project.

let's start at the beginning.

This bike was bought in January of 2009 at Ray C's extreme in Lapeer MI and taken STRAIGHT to Barkers performance for some R&D, and became the test bed for Barkers line of YFZ450r Parts.

The first thing they did was create an exhaust system for it, and right away put that into production.

soon after that Barkers did a custom ported head for it, and designed a Cam for that head.
then head was tested, and tweaked for maximum gains, then digitized so now anyone can buy a CNC ported head from Barkers for the YFZr
call them for pricing and availability (810) 658-0052  http://www.barkersexhaust.com/
The TB was also bored out and in the end the bike made 52.5 HP on Barker's Dyno and then again on Mike's Dyno in Waynoka OK at Little Sahara Sand Dunes.
The bike was taken to the Dealer show in Indy to showcase Barkers Exhaust System
Notice the sexy Carbon Can!

Since then it has been photographed many times and used on websites such as kbmotorsports to advertise Barkers Parts
As time went on things were added for cosmetic type stuff, like hipers, Flex Bars and a JVR seat cover, and it was ridden well.
It ran great and had no problem keeping up with and beating 3 mod Raptors.

In the spring of this year I decided to play around a bit, and be the first one to create a YFZ700R.
I love the power and Torque of the 700 but can't get used to the look and feel, IMO the YFZ450r is the sexiest beast ever made, and it just made sense to see how far we could take it. so, I contacted Tim at Barker's to see what we could do, and to my surprise, he said Let's do this!
In no time I had a VERY low hour 2009 Raptor 700 engine sitting on my bench that I bought from a guy on one of the Raptor forums.
I called Barker and lined up a Stage 2 head and a 11:1 Piston for this beast.
Tear down went fast and smooth, in no time the 450 was out and the frame was ready for the 700

the only real modifications that I had to do was trim the swingarm a little to accept the 700 engine between the bearings
I guess I could have trimmed the engine down, but measuring things made more sense to hack on the swingarm.
the left side did not need to be trimmed, just the right, and because of this, the chain lined up perfectly. AWESOME!
That was an obstacle I was very concerned with, and it worked out perfectly!

then on to the front engine mounts...
the stock 450 mounts were almost perfect, BUT they were exactly opposite of what I needed, so I took the left one and put it on the right side and flipped it around, and bent it into position, and it fit perfectly, I then did the same to the other side, and that problem was solved!

once the engine was in place, it was taken to Barkers for the fabrication part of the job
The new engine is HUGE, and it pretty much takes up the whole gas tank area... what to do?
We decided to fabricate an aluminum Fuel tank and put it under the seat (Airbox area)
(tank picture taken after the trip.. all covered in sand)

but that makes a problem with the airbox.. where to put that?
we opted for a K&N Pod type filter hooked directly to the Throttle body
we just had to remove an aluminum brace in the frame for that, Plasma cutter took care of that job!

we had a little problem with the exhaust, but nothing Tim Barker can't solve, we shortened a set of Barker (raptor 700) head pipes and they cleared the 450 radiator just fine!

Of course something this cool deserves a set of custom dual Barker exhaust (powder coated black of course!)

We had to design a oil tank for the engine because the 700 still has an external tank unlike the 450R.
Tim came up with a simple design using a 3" aluminum tube and we capped the ends and it was good to go
We then located it under the old fuel tank filler hole for ease of access, worked out great!
After all the Fab and internal engine work was 100% I took it back home for the final assembly.
I had a bit of a struggle getting the wiring to lay nice, but overall it went pretty smooth.
the plastics hide the custom work pretty well, and for the most part it looks totally factory natural.

Keep in mind, only a few choice people knew about this project until I unveiled it at Little Sahara OK on 9-29-11
and it was received very well, most people didn't even know that anything was done to it.
OFF TO OKLAHOMA

Left MadDog's Raptor 700 - Center Tim Barkers KLX450 - Right My YFZ700R - Under (in bed) X-Rider's YFZ450
but that rack is whole other "build thread" lol

We dyno tuned it on 9-30-11 and it made 67hp and 46TQ. Not too bad for a stock bore and stroke Raptor 700 with a piston and Barker stage 2 head.

keep in mind we are running a small K&N pod too, NO INTAKE AT ALL
we are only running a PC5 for fuel tuning, no MSD or ignition timing at all.
the weekend went pretty much without a hitch. I did forget to tighten one of the inspection covers and oil spewed on my leg, so I bought a new one and cleaned up, changed the oil, and it treated me well all weekend.

Most of the questions I got were regarding weight, and I have not weighed it yet, so I don't really know how much more it weighs
if I had to guess, I would say about 10lbs or so
the balance on jumps feels as good as it did before, it flies NICE!

the "Not Revving" it was weird, but by the end of my first ride, I had it all worked out
it looks great and feels totally normal..
I love it!
Let the endless barrage of questions commence!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 12:46:56 PM by Hefe »

Offline russ-russ

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 10
  • I am Epic Win.
    • Email
Re: Hefe'z YFZr from 450 to 700
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 07:11:08 PM »
It is definitely one badass ride.  Now go make me one in yellow.

Seriously, it is such a clean conversion that several people looked at it for a long time without noticing anything "strange" about it.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 07:12:45 PM by russ-russ »

Offline Spartan

• Most Picked on
  • Street Cred: 16
  • Koolaid maker
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 07:12:17 PM »
Looks amazing Hefe, I'm very impressed with it...wish I had a chance to take it out for a ride

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 07:27:39 PM »
That's the badest thing I've ever seen. I want one.  TBarker you got an order form for the fabed parts needed? :nod:

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 08:54:10 PM »
very pretty. Nice and sneaky, and well done.... sleeper style.

I agree with your thoughts. WHen I first rode that thing, I thought: put a raptor motor in it, I'll buy it....

crazy bastard did it :rofl:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Hefe

• SiteAdmin
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 08:33:25 AM »
Tank and air filter pics added.

Thanks for all the comments guys

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 09:19:55 AM »
I rode it. It was awesome.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline rappyfreak

• VIP
  • Yeepee kai ey marafaca!
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 02:50:18 PM »
That thing is just sick!!!!!
'06 Raptor 700: Yoshi RS-7 full, PCV, Pro Design Foam, EHS lid, Flexx bars, 2" Rox a/v risers, ASV C/5 levers, Powermadds, CCP, HDUSA i3500 +2 a-arms, Rap 700 SE front shocks redone by Wiig, Fox Podium X rear, DWT Drift rear and Hiper beadlocks, Pro Armor XC nerfs, Race grab bar, Tag Agro bumper/chassis skid, PRM 0.25" swinger skid

My name is Iñigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 03:34:16 PM »
That thing is just sick!!!!!

bet it is. hefe's ass touched it. you dont get any more contagious than that....
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Alkire193

• VIP
  • I have candy.....
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 02:43:00 AM »
No flux capacitor?  :confused:

Offline Hefe

• SiteAdmin
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 08:59:32 AM »
yea.. you just can't see it, and listen to Peels, no one knows more about my ass then he!

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 09:26:17 AM »
Alkire, if it does go back to 1955, hefe will be the only one of us alive.  :lol: :lol:

88 miles per hour!!!!!!

Offline Alkire193

• VIP
  • I have candy.....
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 09:32:02 AM »
 :lol: Don't take that from him Hefe!

Where did you get that lift? Im in the market for a lift in my garage!

For this build, I have to say, nice work Hefe. I really has a kind of sleeper feel to it. Any chance you will up the cc's and destroy other 450's hopes and dreams?

Offline Hefe

• SiteAdmin
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 01:48:38 PM »
lol
I am already almost 70HP (only 3 more), not many 450's in that class
I would like to see a mid 70's build, as long as I can run stock bore and stroke
I want reliable HP...

as for the lift, that was a harbor frieght special

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 02:10:44 PM »
sadly, im not far behind.... :lol: