Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Baffled by wheel problem, help!!!  (Read 3307 times)

Offline rappyfreak

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 1
  • Yeepee kai ey marafaca!
    • Email
Baffled by wheel problem, help!!!
« on: July 24, 2011, 11:18:36 PM »
Hi guys, 3rd time this has happened to my rappy:
While riding the left weel nuts become loose and I screw my rear hub, rear wheel and of course lose the lug nuts. Yesterday was my third time, after the second time this happened that was 2 months ago I bought a new wheel with tapered lug nuts, a new hub, torqued the lug nuts to 20 ft-lb and even used blue loctite on them to "make sure" this did not happen again, and now it happened, WTF? I changed the axle bearings about a year ago so don't think that is the problem. Do you think it could be busted swingarm bearings that sort of put a load at an angle on the axle? The axle does not look bent. Any ideas? I'm thinking of fixing it, putting the rappy back to stock and trading it in for a newer model to put all my mods in and call it a day.
'06 Raptor 700: Yoshi RS-7 full, PCV, Pro Design Foam, EHS lid, Flexx bars, 2" Rox a/v risers, ASV C/5 levers, Powermadds, CCP, HDUSA i3500 +2 a-arms, Rap 700 SE front shocks redone by Wiig, Fox Podium X rear, DWT Drift rear and Hiper beadlocks, Pro Armor XC nerfs, Race grab bar, Tag Agro bumper/chassis skid, PRM 0.25" swinger skid

My name is Iñigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!

Offline txredxj

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 0
    • Email
Re: Baffled by wheel problem, help!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 03:19:28 AM »
should be torqued to like 34 or 36 ft-lbs for a 10x1.25 bolt dry.

Offline Bert

• Street Cred: 7
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 06:28:53 AM »
difference in dry & wet tq values. The tq value you applied was lessened with the loctite since its a wet tq value. I tighten by hand & probably over tighten but they don't come off unless I want them to.

Offline Spartan

• Most Picked on
  • Street Cred: 16
  • Koolaid maker
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 06:51:56 AM »
Are the threads stripped? I might look into just getting a new wheel hub, those are fairly cheap on ebay.

Offline Alkire193

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 10
  • I have candy.....
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 07:17:08 AM »
This kept happening to me after my threads started to wear down. I used washers and everything worked out fine. Just the addition of flat washers stopped the nuts from loosening up.

Offline rappyfreak

• VIP
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 09:37:21 AM »
Thanks guys, I changed hub for a new one, new wheel and new tapered lug nuts (cannot use flat nut) as I have the DWT Drift Beadlocks. My question is why is it always the left side? Last time after I torqued the nuts I tried with my smaller ratch and I could not tighten one bit. You guys are right about the 32 ft-lb, I dont know where in DWTs website that it said the max torque should be around 15ft-lb so I thought by going to 20 I was already overtorquing. Will have to fix it all again... sucks....
'06 Raptor 700: Yoshi RS-7 full, PCV, Pro Design Foam, EHS lid, Flexx bars, 2" Rox a/v risers, ASV C/5 levers, Powermadds, CCP, HDUSA i3500 +2 a-arms, Rap 700 SE front shocks redone by Wiig, Fox Podium X rear, DWT Drift rear and Hiper beadlocks, Pro Armor XC nerfs, Race grab bar, Tag Agro bumper/chassis skid, PRM 0.25" swinger skid

Offline Bert

• Street Cred: 7
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 07:59:45 AM »
Are the threads stripped? I might look into just getting a new wheel hub, those are fairly cheap on ebay.

new hub? why not just replace the studs?

Offline Spartan

• Most Picked on
  • Koolaid maker
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 08:48:10 AM »

new hub? why not just replace the studs?

Hubs are cheap and easier to replace than messing with studs.

Offline rappyfreak

• VIP
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 10:47:37 AM »
Yep easier to replace the hub, the studs cost about $16 at the stealership and the hub about $30 so for $14 I'll just buy the hub and be done with it. All this still does not make sense to me... will try tightening to 32ft-lb and see if that does it. In 4 years prior to these problems always tightened it the same way without problems and suddenly this happens 3 times... That's why I was thinking that it could be some axle misalignment messing with it.

Offline Spartan

• Most Picked on
  • Koolaid maker
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 11:07:13 AM »
If either the nut or the threads on the stud are cross threaded or tweaked/warped, it could be loosening up under use...they are under a lot of constant stress when used offroad

Offline txredxj

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 0
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 01:05:41 PM »
re-check the torque after you ride for 2 or 3 rides. they use flat nuts stock to the studs dont have to be centered in the wheel holes. with the tappered nuts they will want to be centered so re-torquing them will help to make sure they are settled in. wheel run-out is .08'' if you want to check it.

Offline rappyfreak

• VIP
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 01:14:42 PM »
what's "wheel run-out"? thanks  :clap: