Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Have a question on swing arms  (Read 3340 times)

Offline HK 45 Nut

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
Have a question on swing arms
« on: May 22, 2011, 07:56:10 AM »
What are the pros and cons to going with an extended swing arm.
Support Our Troops...... Especially Our Snipers!!!! So reach out and touch someone.

Offline Bert

• Street Cred: 7
    • Email
Re: Have a question on swing arms
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 02:40:36 PM »
longer helps keep the front end down when accelerating when you've modded the motor
being longer will decrease your turning raduis.

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 24
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 01:45:43 AM »
In addition to the above, a longer wheelbase can smooth out the ride and ease hill climbing especially on steep grades.

But in addition to those downsides there is the extra weight of the arm. They aren't ubiquitous in part because they cost a good deal of money; in addition to the arm you need a new bearing carrier on the 660 and bearings plus a chain guide or slider or perhaps both.  You'll need to re valve and or re spring the rear shock to handle the extra leverage.  If you go too long you won't have enough weight over the rear tires and traction will suffer as will your drag strip times.  Regardless you will need to rethink your tire and gearing strategy again due to weight distribution.  

For the 660 the +4 seems to be the most popular middle ground for dunning while still being good in the trails. If you spend most of your time in the trails I would suggest a +2, if you are racing at the strip, up a sand or dirt hill, or just on some flat ground somewhere then it depends a lot on the terrain and how much motor you have.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 01:48:00 AM by Mad Dog »

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 08:56:42 AM »
also, don't forget... never are totally sure an aftermarket swinger won't snap in half. Don't worry about that stock...For the price they are, one should not have to worry about that IMO

I prefer the look of the shorter swingarm length too. maybe +2, but no more.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline HK 45 Nut

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 02:44:44 PM »
I am thinking +4 since I ride some trails but mostly play in the sand. I want to get it so I can do some minor engine mods like head work, cam and take it out to an 686. I want to keep it reliable and not have to worry and have it in the back of my head, is this going to be the last time I start it before i blows. I was talking to one of the guys  ride with at work today. He went out sat morning to put his Banshee on the trailer and it decided to let go going up the ramp, he is right at 95hp. So much for him ridding this Holiday weekend.
Support Our Troops...... Especially Our Snipers!!!! So reach out and touch someone.

Offline dragonz

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 6
  • Dammed if I do & Dammed if I don't
    • Real Robots!
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 01:08:52 AM »
The stocker can safely be stretched 2-3" if you have a good welder.
+2 is good on a mildly modded raptor, especially if you flip the rear link.

I have just built a 719, & may now have to look at a longer swinger as it REALLY like to pull wheelies!
2003 Raptor 660LE
719cc with Kenz 13.5:1 piston
X-4 cam & no decomp
39mm FCR's
HV ported head
Ferrea SS Valves
CT Sonic Exhaust
GYTR Clutch

ASR +3+1 A-Arms & Works Tripple Rates
450 Front Calipers
+2 Extended Swingarm
G-Force Axle & Hubs.
Pro Armour Skid Plate
Tusk Nerfs

Gonna be a fun ride now!

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 08:28:40 AM »
In addition to the above, a longer wheelbase can smooth out the ride and ease hill climbing especially on steep grades.

But in addition to those downsides there is the extra weight of the arm. They aren't ubiquitous in part because they cost a good deal of money; in addition to the arm you need a new bearing carrier on the 660 and bearings plus a chain guide or slider or perhaps both.  You'll need to re valve and or re spring the rear shock to handle the extra leverage.  If you go too long you won't have enough weight over the rear tires and traction will suffer as will your drag strip times.  Regardless you will need to rethink your tire and gearing strategy again due to weight distribution.  

For the 660 the +4 seems to be the most popular middle ground for dunning while still being good in the trails. If you spend most of your time in the trails I would suggest a +2, if you are racing at the strip, up a sand or dirt hill, or just on some flat ground somewhere then it depends a lot on the terrain and how much motor you have.

"you use your tongue prettier than a 20 dollar whore"  :thumbs:  :rofl: :rofl:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"