Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Code 14 HELP!!!!  (Read 6404 times)

Offline Raptorking

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
Code 14 HELP!!!!
« on: March 16, 2011, 05:43:26 AM »
Was riding yesterday and was in 5th gear full throttle and all of a sudden, the engine died.  There was an engine error code of 14. The starter would turnover but wouldnt start. Please help!

Online Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
Re: Code 14 HELP!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 07:16:04 AM »
Looking now.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Online Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 07:18:59 AM »
Fault Code: 14
Item: Intake air pressure sensor (hose line)
Symtom: Intake air pressure sensor: hose system malfunction (clogged or detached hose).
Able to start: Able
Able to drive: Able

Sounds like something else is going on. Sounds weird. Did you check your plug at all?

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Online Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 08:09:56 AM »
cool explanation Randy, where do you get that? Based on the error posted, I would bet the code 14 is only a secondary error, caused by something else. Like timing...? misfire? one of those causing intake pressure to change?

Did the motor go "crunch" before it died?
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Raptorking

• Email
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 08:21:02 AM »
cool explanation Randy, where do you get that? Based on the error posted, I would bet the code 14 is only a secondary error, caused by something else. Like timing...? misfire? one of those causing intake pressure to change?

Did the motor go "crunch" before it died?

From my recollection, I dont remember the engine making a crunch sound when it died. I squeezed the clutch out of instinct as soon as it died because I going full speed down the road and I heard the pistons cycling. I did not want to create potential/additional mechnical damage. We tried to push start it but no luck. Mechanically, it sounded ok when we attempted a push start, it just wouldn't start. I have the service manual and found out what the error code was. I was just wondering if anyone had this issue and how did they resolve it. Thanks guys for your help!

Online Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 08:25:07 AM »
Weird.....

It spins freely?

did it jump time maybe???

id be interested in knowing what it was, ive never heard of it before.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Online Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 10:55:55 AM »
Yea, never heard anything like that.

Did you pull the spark plug and check for spark at least?

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Online Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 10:56:15 AM »
I would start w/ the top things to check for..

getting air, getting fuel, gettin spark.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Raptorking

• Email
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 04:11:49 AM »
I would start w/ the top things to check for..

getting air, getting fuel, gettin spark.

I started troubleshooting and this is what I found:
-Tested the spark plug. (good spark)
-Pulled the air filter and attempted a startup. (no luck) Looks like the intake was getting air.
-Checked fuses (all good)
-Checked fuel pump and gas hose (pump is fine and hose is clear)
-Pulled tubing on air intake pressor sensor (all clear)
-Tested the voltage going to the air pressure sensor (good voltage)
-Battery has a good charge (plenty of startup amps)

Does anybody believe that the ECU might have gone bad?

Thanks for the help

Online Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 06:30:45 AM »
hmmm

could it be something internal? timing..?

Offline Spartan

• Most Picked on
  • Street Cred: 16
  • Koolaid maker
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 08:19:13 AM »
Take the cam cover off and the timing plugs, set it at TDC and see if the marks are lined up in their right spots

Online Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 10:14:28 AM »
I would find it hard to believe it'd just jump time.  timing chain is in there pretty toit like a toiger.

I would find it hard to believ ethat the ecu has gone bad as well (seems pretty rare)

I know you can test to see if the stator is having issues ( if your high and low voltage windings have shorted out to one anothe) by unplugging the plug to the rectifier (little gray finned box near right headlight).

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Blair

• VIP
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 05:35:23 PM »
I would find it hard to believe it'd just jump time.  timing chain is in there pretty toit like a toiger.

I would find it hard to believ ethat the ecu has gone bad as well (seems pretty rare)

I know you can test to see if the stator is having issues ( if your high and low voltage windings have shorted out to one anothe) by unplugging the plug to the rectifier (little gray finned box near right headlight).

i had a similar issue a few years back with mine... it would just die for no reason.... the push connection to the rectifier had loosened off... i solved that issue by soldering the wire to the rectifier.... try un plugging and plugging that little connector back on.... dont remember the exacts of it but its worth a try
"The Difference Between Genius and Stupidity... Genius Has It's Limits"
"Scars are the Tattoo's of the Brave"
06 Raptor 700 SE - Pro Circuit T4 - PCIII - ASV Levers - AC Racing Nerfs - AC belly Skid (broken) - Holeshot XCR - Pro Taper Raptor Bend Bars - Pro-Tec Prefilter Airbox Lid - HID Headlights -

Offline Raptorking

• Email
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 08:25:14 AM »
Ok fellas, thanks for the advice about the rectifier. I will give it a shot and will have followup.

Offline Livingmylife93

• Street Cred: 1
  • Ride Hard, Crash Harder, Laugh The Hardest
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 11:53:49 AM »

i had a similar issue a few years back with mine... it would just die for no reason.... the push connection to the rectifier had loosened off... i solved that issue by soldering the wire to the rectifier.... try un plugging and plugging that little connector back on.... dont remember the exacts of it but its worth a try

same thing used to happen to me alot, except it would not just die. It would run very rough like it was sucking water through. Then it would die. So, check the little plug going to the rectifier for sure.

The only time mine has ever died at WOT was because it jumped time. You may think it will never happen, but i promise you it will. So check the timing.  ;)