Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: new skids  (Read 944 times)

Offline jonny_b

• Street Cred: 0
new skids
« on: February 14, 2011, 10:02:56 PM »
so i got my new skids today and i'm a little disappointed, but you get what you pay for. the armadillo swinger skid doesn't have a chain guide, and the tusk chassis skid is in 2 pieces!!! i am pretty disappointed with the chassis skid. tusk usually is cheap, but there products a very good for the price. this is an exception. i think i will call and try to exchange it for the armadillo one for $10 more. the swingarm skid is not bad. its .250 thick, has a piece to protect the chain from hitting the metal itself, but doesn't have a chain guide. i would like to try and modify the stock one or fab up a new one to work with it. does anyone have experience with this or want to brainstorm with me? modding the stock one is my first idea just because its already the right material and shape so i will just have to see if i can get it in line and go from there.

but here's pics................they are there just look.  :thumbs:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
Re: new skids
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 11:22:11 AM »
again.. I'm not seeing pics ???

What are you trying to accomplish w/ a swinger skid? If the stocker is the right material... I honestly think you're better off w/ out a guard in general basically. The stock one is fairly flimsy.   I haven't run one for the last 2 years. and havne't had any issues thus far.

maybe you could cut apart the stock one and rivet into the tusk one?

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Spartan

• Most Picked on
  • Street Cred: 16
  • Koolaid maker
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 01:49:25 PM »
I see the pics. My pro armor one doesn't have a chain guide either and no issues so far.

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 03:07:43 PM »
hmmmmmmmmm checking into.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline jonny_b

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 03:51:50 PM »
i don't want to use the stock skid plate, just the guide. i am a little concerned about trail debris getting kicked up and derailing the chain. i ride lots of deep mud, well for a sport quad, with rocks, sticks and lot of other crap that can easily get kicked up and derail the chain. i bought the skid cause i want total protection, but now that i have been searching around, not many have a chain guide. i am still gonna see about adapting the stock guide to this skid tomorrow, but if it seems like it is goin to be a huge pita, then i will prob just see how it works. i just spent all this money and really dont want a popped chain cracking my case. that i wont be able to afford to fix till next income tax time.  :cry:

oh and i did buy a tusk case saver also too help prevent the cracked case before i knew about the chain guide.

Offline russ-russ

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 10
  • I am Epic Win.
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 10:46:24 PM »

Offline jonny_b

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 11:53:17 AM »
alright. no that looks alot better than riggin the stock guide. :thumbs: i'll have to get that when i get paid.

Offline russ-russ

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 10
  • I am Epic Win.
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 07:04:18 PM »
Also take a look at the YFZ section, they have a stock replacement guide that has edges on it.  That might be more like what you are looking for.

Find it here: http://www.tmdesignworks.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=156&products_id=273