Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Body Armor/Protection Reviews ?  (Read 2732 times)

Offline Segkast

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 4
  • Hola Bitcholas !
    • Email
Body Armor/Protection Reviews ?
« on: August 25, 2010, 12:37:55 PM »
So I have a friend who was riding down in Winchester Bay this week and broke her back yesterday. She was going down a steep trail with roots/big dropoffs and such. She got bucked off her bike over the handlebars, and the quad proceeded to endo over on top of her. It landed on her back and bent her literally in half backwards. Final result was a compression fracture to her spine, but no spinal cord damage luckily. She's hurting real bad right now, but can move her legs etc... She's 17 and they expect her to make a full recovery, though she'll be in a brace for the next few months.

Anyhow... I've been looking at them for years, but needless to say when it's someone you know that gets hurt - it kinda hits home. So I'm going to be buying some upper body protection (something more than a roost guard)

Does anyone have any reviews/experience with any of the more protective gear like the 661 pressure suit/Fox Flight Suit/Thor Impact Rig, or anything of the kind they'd be willing to share? I'm looking to buy something today or tomorrow before I head down to Winchester and was looking for some input (pros/cons) from you guys before I buy something.

Thanks ahead of time, I appreciate your input :cheers:
Oury grips & Yamalube

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
Re: Body Armor/Protection Reviews ?
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 01:43:23 PM »
ERMAHGERD ouch!
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Segkast

• VIP
  • Hola Bitcholas !
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 02:19:36 PM »
Good lookin out Aaron. I thought I'd remembered a thread somehwere about that setup somewhere but couldn't remember where. I was just looking at that on either RMATV or Motosport and it was priced really well too. I'm looking to pick something up locally before I leave tomorrow, so I'll see if anybody's got those in stock and try one on. It really looks like one of the more protective suits available, plus I just kinda wanna look buff like you :) LOL

Thanks Brother :cheers:
Oury grips & Yamalube

Offline Segkast

• VIP
  • Hola Bitcholas !
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 10:53:22 AM »
I ended up buying a Fox Titan Sport Jacket for $140...

I'm very happy with it. Took a couple rides to get used to, but it seems leaps and bounds more protection/comfort than the other options I was looking at.

Reasons I bought this one:

-Fit: Fit was a bit small. I ended up buying an XL. I'm only like 5'10/185. The Large fit fine, but felt a bit tight for me (probably how they're supposed to be, but if it was uncomfortable I'd not end up wearing it). So if you plan on ordering one online, I recommend tryin one on locally if possible.

And a big plus in my book- it zips up the front middle. Some connected down the side with velcro, which I didn't really like much.

-Protection: The front chest plate is hard, unlike many other options. The spine protection is full coverage, and the built in kidney belt is a great touch. Shoulders and elbows and fore-arms have hard plates as well, and it's all padded behind the hard plates.

-Comfort: As I said above, the every hard piece is padded (pads also vented) so you don't notice the plates much. The mesh part breathes really well and didn't have me sweating in 80+ degree heat much more than if I were to just wear a jersey. The hard plastic part has venting as well in the front, so that helps too.

I like the feel of it enough to wear with just an undershirt, and nothing over the top. Doesn't chafe around the neck or anything. I was able to stretch my jersey over it, but I think I'll be buying a larger (non fox slim-fit) jersey to put over it in the future to make it a bit easier. After a couple rides I barely noticed I had it on.

Quality: Everything seems to be very well made, not cheap at all. There's a lot of adjustments on this setup to make it fit real well for you. I feel this will last me quite a few years (until I'm too fat and need a bigger one ) and I'm very happy overall with the purchase.

The ONE bad thing I've found about this so far - The hard shoulderpads. When I try to turn my head to look behind me, it limits my range of motion. When I turn my head, the mouth piece of my helmet hits the shoulderpad and can't turn any further. Not a huge deal, and doesn't make me regret my purchase at all.

Price: Well it was a bit pricey at $140, but when compared to the other products on the market for around $120, the extra $20 was a no brainer after trying some on and seeing them in person. Had I bought online, I probably would have gone cheaper, and I'm very happy I didn't do that. $20 more is nominal at that point and WELL worth it. This was the first one I tried on - then I went to other shops to try some others, nothing compared (though I would have like to try on a Thor Impact Rig - didn't get the chance)

*** A nice bonus: the Fox Titan Sport Jacket comes with an extra set of straps. Took me a while to realize just why ? The extra straps connect to the spine protection ! It's removable, and you can wear just the spine protection (zips&snaps right off ). This is an awesome feature, as I don't know that I could fit some of my cold weather gear under the Fox piece, but I can easily strap the Spine protection on over anything. This will be nice for riding with a hoodie and thicker coat. Also, for those times you don't wanna look like the guy all geared up, but still afford you some protection. THey don't mention this at all in the description, but I wish they did - it would have been a great selling point and made my choice a lot easier.

I generally wear a backpack w/ a CamelBack bladder in it. I wore that almost the whole time I was riding, and it worked just fine, the armor didn't get in the way at all like I thought it might. If anything, it actually felt better as the armor took some of the pounding my back usually does with a full backpack on.

Anyway, that's my review for y'all. Hope it was helpful and informative. Any other questions I didn't cover ? Let me know, I'll try to respond asap.

Ride safe guys :cheers:

Oury grips & Yamalube

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 08:37:14 AM »
awesome. Seems like a great investment if you plan on :colorado:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 09:36:49 AM »
that thing is sweet Seggy! great review.

needs to come with a 3 wolf one moon jersey over the top of it though.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline rappyfreak

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 1
  • Yeepee kai ey marafaca!
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 02:09:34 PM »
Does it accentuate your curves seggy?  ;)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
'06 Raptor 700: Yoshi RS-7 full, PCV, Pro Design Foam, EHS lid, Flexx bars, 2" Rox a/v risers, ASV C/5 levers, Powermadds, CCP, HDUSA i3500 +2 a-arms, Rap 700 SE front shocks redone by Wiig, Fox Podium X rear, DWT Drift rear and Hiper beadlocks, Pro Armor XC nerfs, Race grab bar, Tag Agro bumper/chassis skid, PRM 0.25" swinger skid

My name is Iñigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!

Offline Segkast

• VIP
  • Hola Bitcholas !
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 09:53:38 AM »
Does it accentuate your curves seggy?  ;)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

And you KNOW THIS !!
Oury grips & Yamalube