Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Rear Suspension re-build  (Read 2888 times)

Offline dragonz

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 6
  • Dammed if I do & Dammed if I don't
    • Real Robots!
    • Email
Rear Suspension re-build
« on: June 16, 2010, 03:36:42 AM »
This rebuild started like many others, I wanted to fix one thing, & then decided to do a little more, then found a few problems & ..............................

So, I decided I needed a new rear axle, not because of any damage, but just to get some more width.
Enter one G-Force axle
Yes, they're heavier than some of the other axles out there, but they are strong, & CHEAP.
Time to remove the old axle.............
First the Grubscrews in the Lock-Nut
One comes out ok, but the other.....
I break an allen key, then another.
I get an impact gun onto it with in-hex socket, & snap the end off the socket (after twisting it 1/2 turn)

Bugger!
I'll drill it out........
Squealing sound ensues
Grubscrews too hard for highspeed steel eh!
Good thing I have some cobalt drills
F**K, that didn't work either

Well, I'll split the chain & take the swingarm out & take it to work
I'll get the grubscrew with a die-grinder
Hmmmm, this grubscrew is REALLY F**kn hard

Well, too bad about having a saleable stock axle, time for the disk grinder
So I split the nut with the disk grinder & a cutoff wheel,
then hammer it a bit cos it still won't turn,
Finally it lets go.
So I take the 2nd nut off without any drama at all..........
Sweet we're almost done (famous last words)
Just tap the axle out with a hammer...............or maybe not

Fortunately I have a hydraulic press at work, so into the press the swinger/axle assy goes
Yup that did it, but the bearings feel like shit now, & the spacer is a bit rusty (rusty as f**k)

So I press out the bearing carrier, & then press the bearings out.

While I've got it apart I should stretch this swingarm I figure.
Then one of the chain adjuster bolts binds in the aluminium housing of the swingarm, & shears off.

So, I have new bearings on order from a local bearing supplier, but the seals will be a week away.
I am stripping the rust off the bearing spacer.

& tomorrow will be cutting the back housing off my swingarm, & welding in a piece of 50 x 74 RHS plating the ends & the bottom & then I will have a cheap extended swingarm!

I will send the cleaned up bearing spacer off to the platers tomorrow,
& finish cleaning up the other components............

Don't think i will have the bike back together for the Gravel Sprints on Sunday however...........

So, I will take a few pics to add to this in the next few days, as well as some re-assembly pics when I get to that part of the project, & a few reccommendations on things to watch out for so you don't have as many little dramas as I did.

Yes, for a few hundred US$ I could buy an aftermarket swinger, with a different bearing carrier & all that.
But, I don't have the money & the freight is a real killer to get stuff here anyway!
& besides, I like making stuff like this work!

So, there will be more, just don't hold your breath :) 

2003 Raptor 660LE
719cc with Kenz 13.5:1 piston
X-4 cam & no decomp
39mm FCR's
HV ported head
Ferrea SS Valves
CT Sonic Exhaust
GYTR Clutch

ASR +3+1 A-Arms & Works Tripple Rates
450 Front Calipers
+2 Extended Swingarm
G-Force Axle & Hubs.
Pro Armour Skid Plate
Tusk Nerfs

Gonna be a fun ride now!

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 24
Re: Rear Suspension re-build
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 06:39:07 AM »
Wow, sounds like you ended up with more than you bargained for on that one.  I always have extra rear swingarms lying around for such occasions, I think I have 3 or 4.  I went with +2 for an extended stock swingarm and I really liked it.  Only reason I went longer with the aftermarket was the great deal I got on it.

The G-force is good for the $, I don't knock anyone for getting it (unless they're mx racing).  Keep us in the loop :)

Offline Spartan

• Most Picked on
  • Street Cred: 16
  • Koolaid maker
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 08:01:01 AM »
Wow sounds like my kind of luck Dragonz...but glad you got all the equipment to make it work...I just have my framing hammer and some stub nails...:lol:

Offline dragonz

• VIP
    • Real Robots!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 01:45:57 AM »
Well, I finally got it all together last night, just setting up the sag & stuff, & then bleeding the brakes.
I forgot to take pics when I had the swingarm cut up & the pieces I cut to extend it, but will draw it up for y'all when I get a chance.

One thing for sure is that it is strong!
I extended the inner box section thru to the axle carrier & welded it all, then welded a 50x6 flat bar in top & bottom, then finally the side plates to extend the side of the RHS to close it in.
Then I looked at it some more, & welded a plate across the bottom of the whole thing to tie it together just in case.

Still light, the stock swinger for all the fuss about the bearing carrier not being the gretest, is lighter than most (if not all aftermarket arms, because it is alloy not steel.

The Gforce axle is no heavier than stock (lighter possibly, I didn't weigh them) & as I'm going for a very wide low stance, I got the gforce hubs also (bling factor if nothing else) :)

I have a thread elsewhere here (will link it when I remember) about the 450 front brakes, next job is to bleed them.

So, replaced the swingarm bearings (All Balls kit is the easy choice here) also while it was apart.
Assembled everything with copious quantities of never-sieze!
This will help in getting it apart should I ever wish to, will help keep water etc out, & will help prevent any corrosion.
Great stuff, use it!
Still need to make a spanner to suit the axle nut so I can tighten it fully, & will probably make a shock spanner while I'm at it.

Next up, the ride review & pics, but may take a while, too much work on for much quad time sadly!
2003 Raptor 660LE
X-4 cam & no decomp
39mm FCR's
HV ported head
Ferrea SS Valves
CT Sonic Exhaust
GYTR Clutch

450 Front Calipers
+2 Extended Swingarm
G-Force Axle & Hubs.
Pro Armour Skid Plate
Tusk Nerfs

Gonna be a fun ride now!

Offline dragonz

• VIP
    • Real Robots!
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 07:33:23 PM »
Well, I finally got the spanner for the axle made, & finished bleeding the brakes.
Only rode it on the driveway last night, for about 20 min.............
Round & round the loop, more & more sideways, gaining speed every time round.
I think my flatmates now consider me certifiable, but that was fun!

dyno in the next couple of weeks, then time for some serious riding & some pics to show off the transformation
2003 Raptor 660LE
X-4 cam & no decomp
39mm FCR's
HV ported head
Ferrea SS Valves
CT Sonic Exhaust
GYTR Clutch

450 Front Calipers
+2 Extended Swingarm
G-Force Axle & Hubs.