Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Help with '06 Raptor 50  (Read 1986 times)

Offline kawadank

• Street Cred: 0
Help with '06 Raptor 50
« on: May 13, 2010, 09:31:01 PM »
Hello everyone.  Been looking for a while and just got my son an  '06 Raptor 50.  Had been sitting for ~2 years and all I could do was push start it.  Drained and replaced with fresh gas, new battery, K&N filter (restrictor plate still in place).  I've totally stripped down the carb, thoroughly cleaned it (carb dip), and rebuilt with new parts from mooseutilities.com (got rebuild kit off Ebay).  No carb or throttle mods, all stock parts.  I can start the quad with full choke and then put the choke in the off position after about 5 minutes and the engine runs fine but the problem is that when you rev it up it takes some time to drop back to normal idle RPM.  My friend (very experienced with street bikes) looked at it and said that it looks like I have an air leak.  I'm totally lost, any help would be much appreciated.  Stoked to get my son on this quad, as his last one was a powerwheels.  Thanks in advance!!!

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
Re: Help with '06 Raptor 50
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 11:29:52 PM »
I agree. Air leak somewhere in the intake can cause that. Also sticky throttle.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Online Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 07:18:21 AM »
I agree on both accounts. easy way to check the sticky throttle. if you have the carb off and you open it up. does it snap shut?

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline kawadank

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 09:09:32 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply.  The throttle snaps back immediately.  As for an air leak, I have no idea where to begin or how to go about finding it.  It would be on the carb itself or the engine side correct?

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 09:24:34 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply.  The throttle snaps back immediately.  As for an air leak, I have no idea where to begin or how to go about finding it.  It would be on the carb itself or the engine side correct?

in my experience with bigger quads, it may be the boot between the carb and the head. Sucking in air and reducing vacuum after fuel mixture happens, causing a lean condition.

It could also be your idle A/F screw is a bit off. As for where to put it... Not sure. I would guess around 1 1/2 to 2 turns out from all the way in.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Online Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 09:30:07 AM »
an easy way to check for air leaks is get the quad running and let it idle. Take some carb cleaner and spray around the carb. It should either rev up or bog down if there's a leak.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline kawadank

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 09:50:10 AM »
Thanks guys!!!  I'll try the try these ideas and let you know the outcome!

Offline kawadank

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 03:56:32 PM »
Problem solved!!!   The throttle cable was incorrectly routed, so in a way I guess it was a stuck throttle.  Running like a champ now!!!  Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the help!!!

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 09:06:54 AM »
 ;) sweet! I gotta work on my boy's mini quad today.

ya'll come back now ya' hear.  :thumbs: