Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Desperate for Help, bought a lemon on Craigslist.  (Read 5348 times)

Offline mwatv

• Street Cred: 0
Desperate for Help, bought a lemon on Craigslist.
« on: October 31, 2010, 08:52:36 PM »
I recently purchased a 08 Raptor 350 off Craigslist for my son's birthday.  Huge mistake, and huge disappointment to my son, so now just trying to recover. Seller said the only thing it needed was brake pads.  After 3 trips to the shop, including a top end job, it still is not running.  The latest problem happened when my son got about 4 miles down the road, it started cutting out and died.  After the 2nd time it would not re-start for him.  When I got there, it started, but bogged down when I tried to give it any gas and died.  Tried it a few days later, it will not even start now.  It has plenty of gas, and the gas tank vent tube is clear.  I have lost faith in my local shop, and really do not want to get several more hundred dollars tied up from a dealer shop, just want to get it running well enough to trade to a dealer (with full disclosure).  Greatly appreciate any suggestions on where to begin.  And if anyone would like a project for $1950, I can fix them up;)  Thanks for your help. 

Offline russ-russ

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 10
  • I am Epic Win.
    • Email
Re: Desperate for Help, bought a lemon on Craigslist.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 09:13:20 PM »
Sounds like your dealer fleeced you.  You need to start by checking for good spark.  Make sure the plug is in good shape or replace it.  Then check your valve clearances.  If you don't already have a manual for it, get one.

Offline loneone

• Email
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 09:43:52 PM »
 first  check spark- if you have spark then take the fuel line off the carb and check the flow, try it "on" and reserve. slow or no flow check o-ring in fuel shut off/strainer in tank.

put line back on, fuel drain screw in bottom of carb?,open it check flow

if you have fuel,spark and air check compression and timing
its all fun till the cops show up

Online Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 10:38:18 AM »
there's a manual on here for free if you need one. http://www.raptorsource.com/forum/index.php?topic=124.0

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Online Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 10:51:25 AM »
did you try making lemonade yet?  :lol:

My guess would be spark. or complete loss of fuel flow since it died while moving, and no Ka-Boom!
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Livingmylife93

• Street Cred: 1
  • Ride Hard, Crash Harder, Laugh The Hardest
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 02:42:25 PM »
loss of spark.

fouled plug, stator maybe.

Offline mwatv

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 06:38:47 PM »
Thanks for the help, I'll give them a try this week.  I replaced the plug this past weekend, still no start. 

I bought this from an individual in Louisville, a supposed owner of some Quiznos, feel free to boycott if you please.  Bike was maintained by a very sad mechanic, did not even bother to put on the gasket when the previous top end was done.   

Offline Alkire193

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 10
  • I have candy.....
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 08:24:58 PM »
Bring it to the next Rally im at, ill fix it.....  :thumbs: