Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: diamond j lowering and widening kit and shock conversion  (Read 1836 times)

Offline exentix

• Street Cred: 3
    • Email
diamond j lowering and widening kit and shock conversion
« on: April 11, 2010, 08:29:11 PM »
im thinking about buying this kit that moves both the top and bottom shock mounting spots. it allows you to run longer shocks and keep the same angle, so it wouldnt ride rough. i can run stock brake lines, and get tie rod extensions. does anybody have any experience with these kits? id like to have some more info but their site doesnt say much on them. it had more info before, but i just went on there again and theres no info on the kit. id like to konw what shocks i can run and what would be the best for the money.

mini ho's back  :clap:

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 24
Re: diamond j lowering and widening kit and shock conversion
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 09:33:49 PM »
The way I understand it you maintain the same distance and geometry of the stock shocks, so it wouldn't allow you to run longer shocks with the same angle.  In order to run longer shocks you'd have to leave the upper mount relocation kit off, but even then the shocks will be at a more acute angle towards the frame than stock, more like a long travel setup.

There is some good information about the kit as used for the 660R on raptorforum.com, a member named quadmaniac among others runs this kit.  There are also some threads on it in the 700 sections.

Offline exentix

• Street Cred: 3
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 11:07:38 AM »
They have two different kits. One is just a widening kit and doesn't allow for longer shocks. The other moves the top shock mounts out away from the frame AND up so it allows for longer shocks. I'll try to get some pictures up later

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 24
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 03:05:56 PM »
Don't need pictures, I know exactly what you're talking about.  I'm not a fan of these, and I think a relocated upper mount is a very bad idea for anything but flattrack.

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 03:10:29 PM »
Never seen one in person. But spent alot of time researching them. Decided against it, based on pics, horror stories. Okay to use if you don't jump, or ride really hard.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 10:58:11 AM »
I've never heard any horror stories actually w/ them.. I believe it was phil (havin2muchfun) that was using a set. they worked well until he hit a tree...

if it wasn't him it was Sully. can't remember which one.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 11:04:05 AM »
I've never heard any horror stories actually w/ them.. I believe it was phil (havin2muchfun) that was using a set. they worked well until he hit a tree...

if it wasn't him it was Sully. can't remember which one.

SUlly's was home made. Hit a rut and twisted it.

THe other things I figured out:

With the kit on, your tie rods pivot from a different point than the a-arms, this causes bump steer when the suspension is compressed. Causes front to "toe-in" Not much though...That and the tie rod extensions you get are extrememly weak. ANd it is advised that you spend more $ to get higher quality tie rods.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"