Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: questions about a 720???  (Read 2925 times)

Offline sontag660

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
questions about a 720???
« on: March 25, 2010, 08:47:38 AM »
i am new to this site and new to building a bike. i have a stock 01 660 with a lexx slip on pipe. i am wanting to build a 720. i was just wondering if anyone out there could give me some pointers and maybe some info on what kind of parts to get. anything would help.
thanks!

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
Re: questions about a 720???
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 08:58:16 AM »
another 01' huh? cool. Is the transmission OK? I never built mine that way, (I was always fixing it :lol: ) so I am not much help, but welcome to the site. And good luck. make sure you put a cam in it if you are doing a big bore.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline sontag660

• Email
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 09:32:18 AM »
thanks.

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 09:33:44 AM »
If your going to go into the motor, I would reccomend spend the money on a full exhaust sytem to get the most out of it.

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 09:39:46 AM »
If your going to go into the motor, I would reccomend spend the money on a full exhaust sytem to get the most out of it.

+1 the slip on gives you low end. but the full exhaust will give you more max power.

Are you modded at all?

the order that 660's are normally built, full exhaust, intake, pull off airbox lid, then cam and high compression piston/bore. 660's are already torque monsters anyways. :)  Make sure those jets are correct too :thumbs:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline sontag660

• Email
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 09:47:41 AM »
all i have is the slip on pipe and banshee shocks on front. everything else is stock.

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 09:51:41 AM »
all i have is the slip on pipe and banshee shocks on front. everything else is stock.

bet that doesn't last :) :lol:

Offline dragonz

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 6
  • Dammed if I do & Dammed if I don't
    • Real Robots!
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 03:24:45 AM »
IK'm sure it won't stay stock for long at all either.
Look at the start of the thread, this dude wants to build a 720!

Talk to guys like T Barker & CSR, they build these motors for a living & they know their oats, they will tell you the best combinations of bore & stroke you will need to make the machine you want.
I'm sure that they will give you the good oil on it, & if you then choose to spend your coin with one of them, then I'm sure you will get a great motor out of it.

The advice I have:
I'm not sure what the best combo of stroke & bore is, but one thing is for sure, replace the Con-Rod.
At 686, the stock rod is right on its limit, above that, it's a major rebuild just waiting to happen, a grenade with the pin already pulled.

Get your transmission checked out, & fixed if necessary.
The 01 transmission had a few weak points, they are well known & easily dealt with, so do it while your motor is apart.

Put a GYTR or Hinson clutch in your machine, the stocker will be on it's last legs I would suggest (at the age of your bike)

Put an L&A starter clutch in, you will never regret it, I did mine with the std Yamahahahahaha one first time round, & looked after it really carefully, & it still only lasted 18 months.

Put some money into a set of FCR carburetors, no point in putting all that effort into the motor & not fitting the carbs to suit.

Buy a set of Duals. Monster do a nice looking set of in-frame duals for the 660, they look the bees knees!

Put some money into the suspension & handling.
As a stocker, these bikes are high, narrow, & short.
They wheelie too easily (& plenty have been flipped), & they tip over real easy.

1/ Make it wider, put a decent aftermarket axle in it, with spacers. All the 450 mxers are 1350mm+ on the width, these are only 1100mm stock. So make it 1350 wide. Put a decent set of wider A-Arms, or a Diamond J widening kit in it. I made my own one of these, if you want, I can send autocad drawings of the required components.
At 1350 wide, these bikes are transformed!
2/ Make it lower, the weight is carried very high on these bikes, they have a tall motor, & the radiator & gas tank are mounted high also.
Do the flipped link mod. You will need to buy some parts to do this as the 01 linkage was different to the rest, but it is worth it!
3/ Make it longer, look at a longer swingarm. +2 - +4 is good for motorcross racing & general trail riding. Go longer if you're into drag racing.
4/ The shocks suk! Get some 450 shocks for the front, & look at some of the conversions other people have done on the rear. The 700 rear shock conversion looks like a good one. Or, if you have the money, get a set of elkas.

Good luck & have fun, these are a good bike to play on, & to work on.

2003 Raptor 660LE
719cc with Kenz 13.5:1 piston
X-4 cam & no decomp
39mm FCR's
HV ported head
Ferrea SS Valves
CT Sonic Exhaust
GYTR Clutch

ASR +3+1 A-Arms & Works Tripple Rates
450 Front Calipers
+2 Extended Swingarm
G-Force Axle & Hubs.