Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Chest protector etiquette?  (Read 5387 times)

Offline Headrope

• Street Cred: 2
  • All my flavors are guaranteed to satisfy
Chest protector etiquette?
« on: March 02, 2010, 12:26:07 AM »
Complete the sentence: Wearing a chest protector while riding dunes is _____________.

a) something only douchebag posers do.
b) required, like wearing a helmet
3) a matter of personal choice but I wear mine

After several years of riding both woods and dunes I've been called out on my not wearing a chest protector. And since it was my 10-year-old son who called me out I have to lead by example but in doing so I don't want to inadvertently raise him to be a dork.  Y'all dads out there will know what I mean.

Please and thanks.
Two '06 700R SEs

Both with:                                          One also with:                   
GYT-R Sport front grab bar                   GYT-R Swingarm guard
GYT-R Engine/frame skid plate             GYT-R Nerf bars
GYT-R A-arm guards                           OMI Steering stem mount
GYT-R Aluminum radiator guard            ODI Lock-on grips

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
Re: Chest protector etiquette?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 07:11:10 AM »
3 for me

Offline rappyfreak

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 1
  • Yeepee kai ey marafaca!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 09:14:13 AM »
B for me, guess this is from my dirbike riding days... sucked to have the handlebars poke the ribs and bruise you badly.
'06 Raptor 700: Yoshi RS-7 full, PCV, Pro Design Foam, EHS lid, Flexx bars, 2" Rox a/v risers, ASV C/5 levers, Powermadds, CCP, HDUSA i3500 +2 a-arms, Rap 700 SE front shocks redone by Wiig, Fox Podium X rear, DWT Drift rear and Hiper beadlocks, Pro Armor XC nerfs, Race grab bar, Tag Agro bumper/chassis skid, PRM 0.25" swinger skid

My name is Iñigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!

Offline SprinterX

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 10:20:27 AM »
Wearing a chest protector while riding dunes is a matter of personal choice but I wear mine most of the time.

Usually depends on what our riding plan is.
08 Raptor 700

RE +1 head, X4 cam, TQS 11.5 piston, KDS +3 TB & evac, FCI,
Barkers duals, PC5 with A/T, Dyna Programmable, DL700 tune.
+2 I-Shock arms, Rock axle, reworked shocks, GTT link, +4 oem ext'd swinger
Elka Sys5 Dampner, Fasst Flexx on Rox anti-vibe risers, TT HIDs
Razr2 on HiPers, Skat 21/12/8 8pdl extremes, Sandstar frts
Roll bumper, PA guards/nerfs/skids

Offline Busby

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 3
  • www.zazzle.com/busbyeie
    • Raptor Shirt's
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 02:10:16 PM »
Serious abdomen & Head injuries will kill you faster then almost any other kind of injury so I personally think that it is just as important to wear one as a helmet, its not always your ability to ride that can cause you to have an accident but it could be someone else's fault.
  :thumbs:
www.zazzle.com/busbyeie "Funky Shirts"

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 03:28:01 PM »
I don't ride dunes very often, but when I have, I did not wear my chest protector. I think either or.. I don't think the people that do look like dorks or anything.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Kamakazi

• Canucks
  • Street Cred: 6
  • even dodge dealerships wont take a ford on trade
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 04:10:43 PM »
chest protector is simply a roost guard, it is not made to take a falling impact or to stop a handlebar from puncturing a lung.  I u want to be safe get some body armour from evs
98% of north americans that hit the ditch say "oh shit", the other 2% are from saskatchewan and say "hold my beer and watch this"

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 04:29:21 PM »

Offline Segkast

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 4
  • Hola Bitcholas !
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 06:34:47 PM »
chest protector is simply a roost guard, it is not made to take a falling impact or to stop a handlebar from puncturing a lung.  I u want to be safe get some body armour from evs

Very true, but it does offer some level of protection. We have a member who watched his friend collide with another bike, stand up, then fall down - dead on top of a dune. He broke a rib wich punctured either his heart or lungs, or both (I forget). Would a chest protector have helped this ? Hard to say at this point, but it sure would NOT have hurt...

So out of A,B, or 3 (:lol:) I say 3. Though I don't wear it as often as I should and it depends on the ride I'm going on really, I would like to say that I do. After hearing the story above, I think I will. And when you get down to it, I have a kid - she WILL be wearing one when she starts riding.

PS... anyone making fun of anybody for wearing any kind of safety equipment for riding a 300+ pound machine going 35-70MPH is a douchewaffle. It's all funny till you get T-boned.

Oury grips & Yamalube

Offline Headrope

• Street Cred: 2
  • All my flavors are guaranteed to satisfy
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 01:26:50 AM »
Don't get me wrong. I'm not worried about vanity. And I always make my son wear his chest protector.

My main concern comes from riding at Coos Bay at the end of the season last year. Buddy and I were hillshooting through the trees and he took a branch to the chest. He was OK but had it been me - knowing my luck - it would have all ended right there with me being gutted by a f'in tree. I was considering a chest protector anyway and then this season my son called me out for not wearing one. I figure it's someone upstairs giving me a nod, and I ain't crossing that dude.

Thanks for the help, and for the new word. Douchewaffle ... that's awesome. :thumbs:
Two '06 700R SEs

Both with:                                          One also with:                   
GYT-R Sport front grab bar                   GYT-R Swingarm guard
GYT-R Engine/frame skid plate             GYT-R Nerf bars
GYT-R A-arm guards                           OMI Steering stem mount
GYT-R Aluminum radiator guard            ODI Lock-on grips

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 24
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 07:57:28 AM »
I used to always wear one on my motorcycles, they saved me from broken ribs more times than I can count.  My father had an accident on a 660 a while back when he wasn't wearing one, and the first thing he did when he got home from the hospital was buy one and insist I wear it.  I have stopped wearing it since as I've spent all of my time in the dunes and getting air under the tires scares me, but I still think about buying another one (the old one is missing the arm straps) and wearing it all the time.

I have been thinking about the tek vests popular with the snomobiling crowd. 

Offline socalrappy700

• VIP+
  • Street Cred: 15
  • Ex Silvis, Pugnabimus
    • Raptorsource.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 09:02:20 AM »

VERY untrue, I say from experience.  A few years ago I rolled my quad down a cliff.  I landed first the quad flipped on top of me, rear grab bar and flag mount being the first thing to impact me.  I was wearing my fox airframe chest PROTECTOR and I suffered 2 broken and 1 cracked rib.  The doctor said if I wasn't wearing my chest PROTECTOR I wouldn't have lived long enough to see the life flight.  I can't see why you wouldn't think it would stop a handlebar from puncturing a lung, I know mine would stop one all day long. 
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline Kamakazi

• Canucks
  • Street Cred: 6
  • even dodge dealerships wont take a ford on trade
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 11:27:56 AM »
Socal, dont get me wrong here, all i am saying is that a chest protector is designed to stop roost, it is not designed to save your body in an accident, yes there are tons of cases where they have actually saved lives, but that was not thier design intention.  Where as a full body armor and/or neckbrace is designed to save you from impact, not to stop roost. wearing a chest protector is always a good idea, but if keeping his son extra safe is his goal he should probably purchase some body armour not just hope the chest protector does the trick.
98% of north americans that hit the ditch say "oh shit", the other 2% are from saskatchewan and say "hold my beer and watch this"

Offline Gunz

• My body is your wonderland
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 36
    • Dent Source
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 06:58:25 AM »
Socal, dont get me wrong here, all i am saying is that a chest protector is designed to stop roost, it is not designed to save your body in an accident, yes there are tons of cases where they have actually saved lives, but that was not thier design intention.  Where as a full body armor and/or neckbrace is designed to save you from impact, not to stop roost. wearing a chest protector is always a good idea, but if keeping his son extra safe is his goal he should probably purchase some body armour not just hope the chest protector does the trick.

a matter of personal choice but I wear mine. I prefer a roost protector over a shirt for safety. Kamakaze, why do they have a full back piece equal in strength as the front? Not to often am I riding 50-60mph backwards chasing someone... Juuuuust curious, don't let the name fool ya.

Dent Source LLC

941 +10 w/bar

Offline socalrappy700

• VIP+
  • Street Cred: 15
  • Ex Silvis, Pugnabimus
    • Raptorsource.com
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 07:29:51 AM »

I don't know how you can say they don't save your body in an accident.....mine stopped a 300+ pound quad falling off a 14 foot ledge.
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum