Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Streamline Hydraulic Clutch....My Review  (Read 5442 times)

Offline TechQuadShop

• Site Sponsor
  • Street Cred: 4
    • Your ONE stop ATV SHOP
    • Email
Streamline Hydraulic Clutch....My Review
« on: February 13, 2010, 02:45:09 PM »
I got one of these kits in a while ago to do some testing on.  The older style I actually tested came with an ASV lever instead of an ARC.  I think there was some difficulty between the two manufacturers so Streamline decided to swap and put the ARC on all of their new kits.  The ARC is an unbreakable style as well.  Really the only difference I can tell between the quality of the levers is the ASV is shiny and the ARC is a matte black.

I was real excited to hopefully find a solution to the troublesome YFZ450 OEM clutch lever setup on my mx bike (yamaha uses the same style setup on the Raptor as well)

Streamline claims that the clutch will reduce the pull and arm pump by 30%.  From my findings this is a very honest claim.  With the streamline setup installed the clutch pull is drastically reduced.  I really hate how on oem clutches you have to pull the lever all the way to the grip to get it to disengage.  NOT ANYMORE!

The kit really is great for trail riders, mx setup, and im sure it will be great for drag as well.  You can expect less hand cramping, short clutch pull, easier clutch pull, and a sweet unbreakable lever after install.  For drag racers the shorter clutch pull will equal faster shifts.

The install on the unit was cake.  It literally only takes 3 bolts to get it on.  The most time consuming part is bleeding the new line.  Everything fit perfectly.

Here are some pictures of the current kits.  Price retails about $220.  I have them on promo for $199

If your interested you can pick it up here

http://tqsatv.com/proddetail.php?prod=Streamline-Hydraulic-Clutch-Kit
RAPTORSOURCE.COM #1 PLACE FOR BARKER AND MONSTER DUALS, PC3'S, INTAKES, AND MUCH MORE

For all of your aftermarket Raptor needs Call Tech Quad Shop @ 530-938-3985

Offline Gunz

• My body is your wonderland
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 36
    • Dent Source
Re: Streamline Hydraulic Clutch....My Review
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 10:42:22 PM »
Only bad thing about this is we are all rock'n the ASV's.... If I can swap my ASV over to it, now that would rock.

Dent Source LLC

941 +10 w/bar

Offline Alkire193

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 10
  • I have candy.....
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 08:33:54 AM »
Im very interested, I was thinking of doing this but didnt know if it was even worth it compared to cable. What about the let out on a gradual start, where you only let the clutch part way out. On car hyd clutches the pedal feel is garbage. How smooth would a gradual let out on this hyd clutch be?

Offline Gunz

• SiteAdmin
    • Dent Source
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 08:44:56 AM »
On the hydro clutch it's either in or out, there is no lag, mush, or any of that and the pull is super light. They are super sweet.

Dent Source LLC

941 +10 w/bar

Offline TechQuadShop

• Site Sponsor
    • Your ONE stop ATV SHOP
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 11:25:31 AM »
If your a hardcore hill climber and like to feather the clutch then this mod is probably not for you.  There is no riding the clutch with these.
RAPTORSOURCE.COM #1 PLACE FOR BARKER AND MONSTER DUALS, PC3'S, INTAKES, AND MUCH MORE

Offline Ironhorse

• Street Cred: 0
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 11:40:22 AM »
I have a streamline on the way, looking forward to installing it this week. I had a hyd clutch on my streetbike (1600 meanstreak) and never had a problem with it. I could start slow or take off like rocket. I think with the the new 4-strokes, it's easier to lug the motor and not need to feather the clutch so much (like a 2-stroke). Prior to joining the quad ranks, I was on a YZ450F for a number of years and rarely used my clutch outside of quick shifts (and starts). If I didn't ride that way, I would have been replacing the clutch every few months.

Offline TechQuadShop

• Site Sponsor
    • Your ONE stop ATV SHOP
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 09:05:49 PM »
I studied both kits carefully and my opinion is that with some very small modifications you can get an ASV clutch lever to easily fit on it.  It will have to be for an 07 and up ASV kit though

Offline Ironhorse

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 09:18:07 PM »
I received my streamline hyd clutch kit today and ran into some issues on install ??? Maybe someone can help :help: Two things at this point .

1. There's a switch on the Raptor clutch lever housing that must tie into the ignition (item 9 in the diagram) and tell it that the clutch lever is depressed so you can start the engine. Streamline doesn't provide any direction on how to deal with this cable nor does it look like you can connect it to their clutch. So I don't know what to do with it. I don't think I want to leave it hanging as someone may try to start it without the clutch engaged........

2. The cylinder reservior sits so close to the bars that you can't get the starter/light/kill switch on the bars anymore. I literally can't get it to fit on the left side of my pro-taper Raptor bend bars. I am thinking about having a spacer fabricated to push the clutch farther away from the bars. I do not want to have to re-wire everything and have 3 separate switches for lights, kill switch and start button.

Looking for thoughts on this one.

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 09:30:19 PM »
There's not much you can do w/ the neutral switch.

when you switch to ASV's you run into the same problem. I have mine tied up underneath but I can start it in gear. The only other thing you could do is.... tape the switch so its closed and the only way you could start it is if it's in neutral. OR you could cut the switch and hook it up to some sort of toggle/push button that'd have to be pressed or flipped to start.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Gunz

• SiteAdmin
    • Dent Source
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 09:37:07 PM »
I took the switch and rerouted back down behind the radiator and let it hang. Don't sweat bro, it's not a big deal. You don't need the switch, there won't be to many times you'll start your bike up without pulling the clutch. I did this 2 years ago and not a single problem.

Dent Source LLC

941 +10 w/bar

Offline Ironhorse

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 10:44:15 AM »
Thanks for the help on the neutral switch.

I ended up having an aluminum spacer machined for me to get the clutch farther away from the bars. It works great now and I can get the control switch inbetween. Plus it allows me to pull the clutch all the way in without hitting my fingers on the grip.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 05:57:44 PM by Ironhorse »

Offline Ironhorse

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 12:38:51 PM »
Just a follow up on the Streamline clutch. You can see from my previous photo that there is oil all over the reservoir. Now that I have had it in service for a while I can comment a little on performance etc.

Pros

The clutch pull is a little smoother, although still springy because there's a spring on the other end. Not a true hydraulic clutch feel.
The clutch pull is a little lighter.

Cons

The reservior leaks badly.
Reservoir is too small and it's hard to bleed the clutch without sucking in more air.
If you fill it up to bleed the clutch out, it overflows when you put the lid back on.
It eventually leaks all the oil oil and starts to suck in air, it's a pain and could render you in deep %&^$! if you are out in the middle of nowhere.

I am contemplating removing it and putting the stock one back on. They need to refine it more to get it to perform well. I have been pretty disappointed in it. :mad:

Offline Ironhorse

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 06:26:43 AM »
Further long term testing and feedback from Streamline didn't solve the problem either. They have some design issues with their reservior IMO. I tore it off and put the stocker back on with a Streamline cable. Much better and much more dependable.