Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Spark Arrestor Removal.  (Read 3585 times)

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
Spark Arrestor Removal.
« on: January 09, 2010, 12:37:51 PM »
Here is a thread for those of us on a budget, who want hp per dollar, not max hp. I call it the little 3.  :lol:  Makes a good difference in power, and especially in the sound! THe stocker sounds lame.

Removing the SPark Arrestor, and if necessary, replacing it with the larger Phoenix one, which I got as a xmas gift. Also got an intake kit with k&n filter. ANd recently, I just bought a dobeck FI controller for $100.

notice how small the stock tailpipe is? you have to remove the one small bolt holding the spark arrestor to the pipe itself. WIth a little bit of luck, and a slide hammer and vice grips, or whatever you come up with, it slides out. Make sure you heat it up really good as well. what I did: Attach the vice grips to the tailpipe ring, and some threaded rod inside the pipe. Took a few tries, but ultimately it came right out after attaching it correctly. It is actually only pressed into the pipe.  And tailpipe held on by the bolt near the end of the pipe. :thumbs:

here it is removed: (just a little less restricted :lol: ) you can run it this way, I put the new sparky in because it is required here.

and here are the two next to each other. You can totally tell why the stock raptors feel so bottled up. Because they are.

from the front, or towards the engine.

from above:

and from the end, tailpipe side. Huge difference. Yeah I mangled it on a previous removal attempt :lol:

here it is installed. Very happy with it. Yes there are more powerful options, but for the $ this is a great start.

good luck.  :thumbs:

Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Spartan

• Most Picked on
  • Street Cred: 16
  • Koolaid maker
Re: Spark Arrestor Removal.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 12:46:00 PM »
Side note: The bolt in the middle of the can (14mm hex head, NOT allen like the retainer) is NOT related the sparky in any way :lol: so do not think that is holding it in...Not personal experience but...I'll let peelio write it up

Nice write up btw

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 12:58:00 PM »
Side note: The bolt in the middle of the can (14mm hex head, NOT allen like the retainer) is NOT related the sparky in any way :lol: so do not think that is holding it in...Not personal experience but...I'll let peelio write it up

Nice write up btw

this is true. Good info to know before you strip it off and have to drill it out :lol:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 03:03:33 PM »
That tip is just as good as a slip on to all those wondering :)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline preddy08

• MD's baby momma
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 28
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 04:44:26 PM »
The little 3 :rofl:

You crack me up cracky  :rofl:
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

Offline Shawnz

• Street Cred: 1
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 08:17:37 PM »
I like to call it the 2.5 mod..    well I'm 3.5 now that I have an HC2  :thumbs:

Using a 2-jaw pilot bearing puller / slide hammer combo I can pull the sparky and keep in tact and re-installable.   2-3 whacks of the slide hammer and it's outta there!

I'm running that Phoenix spark arrestor as well.   Do they still sell them?   They seem to be pushing a universal slip-on now on ebay.
2007 Raptor GYTR

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 08:50:53 PM »
there still out there shawn. You, Raptor Randy and I were rebels back in the day with the Phoenix mafia :lol:

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 09:18:10 AM »
I like to call it the 2.5 mod..    well I'm 3.5 now that I have an HC2  :thumbs:

Using a 2-jaw pilot bearing puller / slide hammer combo I can pull the sparky and keep in tact and re-installable.   2-3 whacks of the slide hammer and it's outta there!

I'm running that Phoenix spark arrestor as well.   Do they still sell them?   They seem to be pushing a universal slip-on now on ebay.

yep, they still sell em. Got mine new for XMAS. And...you put a stage 2 cam in there too. Awesome.

Offline Shawnz

• Street Cred: 1
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 11:11:47 PM »
The cam REALLY helps with top end.   Of course the stock exhaust isn't doing me any favors in the high revs but so far I'm pleased with the cam.  I might just have to put in a 11:1 piston to get my low end back  :nod:

These aren't both my bike, but blue is intake, no lid, no sparkie.  Green is mine, which is the same + the HC2:

« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 06:35:56 PM by Shawnz »
2007 Raptor GYTR

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 05:23:22 AM »
very cool shawnz, thanks.  :thumbs: