Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Extended stock swinger PICS!  (Read 16931 times)

Offline Out Back Welding

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 2
  • Out Back Welding
    • Email
Extended stock swinger PICS!
« on: January 06, 2010, 08:59:38 PM »
I've been searching all the old threads looking for extended stock swinger pics. Everytime i think i found some, they have been deleted off someones photobucket...lame( i use photobucket atm aswell so guess i cant complain much).

ANYWAY, i have been planning on extending my stock swinger for a long time now. I've got alot of extra time atm so i'm going to go for it. I have extensive cast aluminum welding experience(and i have my dad, he's a cast alluminum welding GERD), so thats not an issue.

I plan on riding HARD as always! I ride trails lots of big rocks,trees, and hills...ect. Can't decide on +2,3,or 4....

The main thing is i need some PICS(give me some, and i promise to return the favor!)! and GOOD advice on things that even the experienced might miss.

THX in advance!

Offline 1badazz_700r

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 3
    • Email
Re: Extended stock swinger PICS!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 12:35:03 AM »
This is a +3 and is perfect for everytype of riding i have done. I havent found a reason to go any longer. On modded raptor kingof bling does them in about any length for between 2-$300.00 shipped. with the plus 3 its not long enough that most people can say wow you got a longer swingger,but for hills,drags and trails i couldnt be more happy :thumbs: Hope this helps

Just a little 778
105.5 WK cylinder CP 11:1
hotrods +5 crank
racersedge +2 head,with webb4
54mmTB with custom intake
sparks X-6exhaust
PC5/w autotune
dynatek programmable
slingshot lockup
+3 stock swingarm
hiper dual beadlocks/w gncc holeshots
flexx bars,burgard+2stem/w antivibe
ASV's
odi's

Offline Out Back Welding

• VIP
  • Out Back Welding
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 08:45:54 AM »
Thx :thumbs:

The more pics the merry.

Was a new caliper stop made?

Were new mounts for the skid plate made?

How did you keep it perfectly square?

Pics and info on scenario's like this would greatly be appreciated.

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 08:47:49 AM »
Natural Raptor has one too...MATT!!!!!

Offline SprinterX

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 10:25:23 AM »
Here's a link to the GB thread with pics over at MR.
http://www.moddedraptor.com/community/past-group-buys/2936-extended-stock-swingarm-group-buy-11-1-12-1-a.html
I was looking for a +2 myself but was told the shortest he could do was +3. When it was all said and done I ended up with a +4. Great for a duner but I find it's a little long for trail riding. Not that it makes it difficult to turn, only that it doesn't have the same traction as a stock length swinger. I have a second stock shock, swinger, chain I use for my trail set-up.
Only the front mounts need to be redone as you need the rears as a reference point to mount skids. In the GB you could have them added for an additional $20, but all that was done was holes drilled and tapped. I was quite unimpressed by that as the material thickness in that area only allows for a couple threads. I thought we were getting some sort of bung or post welded in that would offer much greater support and strength. Having said that I haven't had any issues (touch wood) with pulling the threads out so far.
Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 10:27:01 AM by SprinterX »
08 Raptor 700

RE +1 head, X4 cam, TQS 11.5 piston, KDS +3 TB & evac, FCI,
Barkers duals, PC5 with A/T, Dyna Programmable, DL700 tune.
+2 I-Shock arms, Rock axle, reworked shocks, GTT link, +4 oem ext'd swinger
Elka Sys5 Dampner, Fasst Flexx on Rox anti-vibe risers, TT HIDs
Razr2 on HiPers, Skat 21/12/8 8pdl extremes, Sandstar frts
Roll bumper, PA guards/nerfs/skids

Offline Segkast

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 4
  • Hola Bitcholas !
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 10:56:30 AM »
I saw SprinterX's swinger in person a few month back at a rally, and I have to say I was very impressed. Awesome sleeper look, but if you look close I think it comes out looking even cleaner than a stock arm. KOB's guy does some good work.

Kirk, were you telling me that he was actually doing something as far as adding further bracing to the arms when he extends them, as opposed to just weldong a new section piece in/on ? I forget if that was you or someone else telling me that ? Very nice upgrade for the sand IMO !
Oury grips & Yamalube

Offline SprinterX

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 0
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 12:31:08 PM »
Kirk, were you telling me that he was actually doing something as far as adding further bracing to the arms when he extends them, as opposed to just weldong a new section piece in/on ? I forget if that was you or someone else telling me that ? Very nice upgrade for the sand IMO !

Not sure if it was me or not. With the carrier out, you can see additional supports/bracing internally where the weld-in section is. KOB assured me he has pounded on his for some time with no issues at all. I'm not a "go big" jumper but I've pounded thru some pretty tough whoops with it and it's all good.
08 Raptor 700

RE +1 head, X4 cam, TQS 11.5 piston, KDS +3 TB & evac, FCI,
Barkers duals, PC5 with A/T, Dyna Programmable, DL700 tune.
+2 I-Shock arms, Rock axle, reworked shocks, GTT link, +4 oem ext'd swinger
Elka Sys5 Dampner, Fasst Flexx on Rox anti-vibe risers, TT HIDs
Razr2 on HiPers, Skat 21/12/8 8pdl extremes, Sandstar frts
Roll bumper, PA guards/nerfs/skids

Offline Out Back Welding

• VIP
  • Out Back Welding
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 03:38:49 PM »
Got it taken apart this afternoon, so i could look at it real well. Everything came apart real smooth.

I think i might have to make a "V cut", instead of just making a 90 degree square cut, because of the caliper stop.

I didnt take any pics of taking it apart, because thats just boring.

I'm going to have to make a jig for it first before i cut it. This way i can cut it, slide it,add bracing,and make a piece to fill gap(so to speak).

Any advice on the bracing?

Any advice on where/how exactly to cut it?

Any advice on how to set up jig, so the final piece will be square?

All the previous pics and advice have been very helpfull, keep it coming :thumbs:

Offline Segkast

• VIP
  • Hola Bitcholas !
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 04:10:53 PM »
Having no clue about anything else, all I can offer is make sure you extend it behind the shock mount, not in front.
Oury grips & Yamalube

Offline Out Back Welding

• VIP
  • Out Back Welding
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 04:24:50 PM »
Having no clue about anything else, all I can offer is make sure you extend it behind the shock mount, not in front.

Yeah thats for sure.

Gave some thought of cutting it forward of it, but that would be way to much work. Extending it would be easier, but moving the shock mounts, ect.. wouldn't be that easy.

An interesting fact, the inside diameter of the bore is 3.5 in. which i believe is the same as schedual 40 3 in. Not 100% sure but was thinking of making a jig using that advatage.

Offline NaturalRaptor

• Potato King
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 8
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 07:41:49 PM »
Natural Raptor has one too...MATT!!!!!

You rang!!!  I will be glad to help with this. Here is the thread on mine. http://www.raptorsource.com/forum/index.php?topic=3990.0

dpe_ele - you are correct in wanting to do an angle cut

I went through the group buy from KOB and his welder did an excellent job. I went with the +4 and it has been one of the best mods I have ever done. 1badazz_700 was in the same group buy too. His pics look great too. He left his bare aluminum and I powder coated mine. If you look really, really, really, really close you can see the angle cut and weld line after the grinding right behind the shock mount. KOB powder coated one before and it bubbled on him and he advised me not to powder but my local powder guy stated he could do it. Ask anyone for the rally at LS Oklahoma about mine because I got a few compliments. If you have any question I can send you my number.
Good luck.
Matt 
It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.

Offline Out Back Welding

• VIP
  • Out Back Welding
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 08:11:14 PM »
That's awesome, that sends me somewhat in a good direction.

I have yet another question.

I was noticing when i took it all apart that the e-brake and brake line are probably going to come up short. What was done to address this issue?

Offline Segkast

• VIP
  • Hola Bitcholas !
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 08:13:52 PM »
oem brakeline works on a 660 for a +4, is the 700 the same ?
Oury grips & Yamalube

Offline NaturalRaptor

• Potato King
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 8
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 08:21:15 PM »
I ordered a custom parking brake cable from motion pro for $30ish included shipping. I thought that was a great price because it fit like a champ. Looks identical to the OEM. The brake line I ordered a longer one from TQS.
It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.

Offline Out Back Welding

• VIP
  • Out Back Welding
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 08:33:53 PM »
I ordered a custom parking brake cable from motion pro for $30ish included shipping. I thought that was a great price because it fit like a champ. Looks identical to the OEM. The brake line I ordered a longer one from TQS.

Awesome, thx for all the quick replies :thumbs: