Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Tech Question. Need some ideas...  (Read 2082 times)

Offline Socal 700r

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
Tech Question. Need some ideas...
« on: December 15, 2009, 09:51:10 PM »
...? :help:

A couple of years ago my wife and I were cruising around the dunes for a nice ride and suddenly her bike (the 2006 YFZ450) died instantly. I tried to start it but it didn't even click. Long story short, i pulled the seat off and noticed that the tool kit had come lose and the 10mm12mm wrench landed perfectly between the battery terminals :thumbs: SICK! Anyways, that thing was welded to terminals and had to be muscled off. We ended up pull starting it to get it back. Replaced the battery and noticed that over the past two years the battery would need to be charged to last a whole season...even after many night rides. We are pretty good about not leaving the lights on after the bike shuts off. ANYwho, got my hands a few sets of dem HID's which work awesome on my 700 and my buddies 660 but not so well on the 450 or for about 5 minutes anyway. Installed the lights fired them up and took off riding. 5 minutes into the ride her lights start flickering and then one shuts off???? WHAT? I did put the relay in it and couldn't understand why it was not functioning correctly. Turned her bike off to assess the situation and said let's roll back to camp and check it out, maybe there was something I forgot. Went to start the bike and Nada! Battery wasn't strong enough. Just a click and that's it.

Something is wrong with the system not charging the battery obviously, could there be something I have overlooked? Is the stator shot and I need an upgraded one? Or is there something else in line that may have went before reaching the stator? I may be looking to purchase a new stator kit from moose (specifically for lighing), but that one's gonna run me 259.00 plus tax without the gaskets.

Someone please help!!! ???
Glamis Beach!

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
Re: Tech Question. Need some ideas...
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 08:04:14 AM »
dang that sucks.... hopin hefe may chime in. But my guess is something may have happend to the stator when the battery was fried.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Socal 700r

• Email
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 08:28:01 AM »
Maybe I should PM Hefe to get his attention?  :confused:
Glamis Beach!

Offline Hefe

• SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1
  • Testicular Sanitation Personnel
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 02:56:48 PM »
I agree with Kranny
I bet you hurt the stator
can you put a meter on it and see how well it is charging

Offline Socal 700r

• Email
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 05:30:50 PM »
   I will when I get out there the day after Christmas. Pulled up the service manual on this site (nice and thanks for that) for the 450 and I will try a couple of things with the meter. I don't have a tachometer to use but I'm sure I can get a good reading. What other things can I replace up until the stator? Meaning, can I backtrack up to the case and replace things in line? I'm assuming the fuse is the one under the seat which looks fine. According to the schematic, is looks like the rectifier/regulator is not inside the case??? Or is it? The bike isn't here but i'm wondering if it would be worth changing out?

If I do replace the stator, do I need a puller to get the stator out? How many gaskets do I need and will I need to change the oil? Many questions. I'm sure I can do it but don't want to forget anything because I will be attempting this on vacation.
Any reccomendations of where I should purchase all this?
 ???
Glamis Beach!

Offline Hefe

• SiteAdmin
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 09:02:42 AM »
you can do it without loosing any oil
just lean the bike sideways
no puller needed

throw a volt meter on it, see if its charging
I have seen brand new batteries not hold a charge for very long at all
maybe you just got a bad one

Offline Socal 700r

• Email
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 04:09:39 PM »
Hefe, your the bomb. Thanks for the info i'm going to test it to verify voltage. If that fails i'll put in the upgraded stator.

Thanks.
Glamis Beach!

Offline Hefe

• SiteAdmin
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 08:51:00 AM »
:thumbs: