Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Sterio Problems  (Read 1643 times)

Offline Livingmylife93

• Street Cred: 1
  • Ride Hard, Crash Harder, Laugh The Hardest
    • Email
Sterio Problems
« on: November 03, 2009, 07:21:34 PM »
Alright guys, I need some real help with this one. I've been pulling my hair out for like 3 months over it.

I have a 1994 Ford F-150, Standard Cab.

When i bought it, it only had an old style radio in it. No cassette player or anything, just radio.
I bought a JVC head unit for it, and a wiring harness adapter kit. Wired it all up and it worked fine, for about a month.

Then I lost sound, but still had power to the head unit and it seemed to work fine. At that time when i put the old head unit back in i still didnt get sound. Then a few days later i lost total power and neither head unit worked at all. Found out i had some blown fuses... blah blah blah.

Replaced the fuses, had sound yet again, BUT only with the old head unit.

The Current Problem:
I have the old head unit in my truck, and it works flawlessly. Good sound, no power problems or anything. When i put the JVC unit in, I still have no sound, but it gets power and everything. I know it has connection with the speakers, becuase i can hear a slight crackle from the speakers whenever i turn the head unit on at full blast. No bad fuses.

The truck has some decent aftermarket speakers.

I have replaced the Head Unit, thinking it was the problem.
I have replaced the wiring harness, thinking it was the problem. <---- which is wired correctly.

I dont understand why the old one will work, but the JVC wont put out sound.

I have also put the JVC in my friends truck, with my wiring harness and everything and it works fine.

WTF!!!  :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

Feel free to ask questions if i dont make sense.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 07:23:30 PM by Livingmylife93 »

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
Re: Sterio Problems
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 10:53:20 PM »
you may be getting "key off" power only. usually the yellow wire? which gives you lights clock and other functions. But no amplifier or power etc... full power is the orange wire... i think? been awhile. test both the leads that you are pluggin into the head unit. orange and yellow.

FYI, ford's were my least favorite vehicle to put a stereo in. 
good luck
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Kamakazi

• Canucks
  • Street Cred: 6
  • even dodge dealerships wont take a ford on trade
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 01:35:23 PM »
my guess is if ur running stock wiring to speakers that they are either 1)running a stupid ohm load which fried the amp in the deck or 2) one of the wires is shorting out somewhere on the frame, also iirc ford is famous for using a common negative terminal on all of the speakers and aftermarket decks dont like it.  Personally id plug in the deck and take any old speaker and plug it into the terminals at the back of the deck and see if u get sound that way.  hope this helps
98% of north americans that hit the ditch say "oh shit", the other 2% are from saskatchewan and say "hold my beer and watch this"

Offline Livingmylife93

• Street Cred: 1
  • Ride Hard, Crash Harder, Laugh The Hardest
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 03:35:04 PM »
all the connections are good peels..

kamakazi, i have no idea what your trying to say  :lol:
your gonna have to use simpler words.

I just want to get it to work again  :'(

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 03:35:53 PM »
all the connections are good peels..

kamakazi, i have no idea what your trying to say  :lol:
your gonna have to use simpler words.

I just want to get it to work again  :'(

don't mind him.. He's canadian. we have to be nice to our slower friends up north. :lol:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Kamakazi

• Canucks
  • Street Cred: 6
  • even dodge dealerships wont take a ford on trade
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 04:21:51 PM »
sounds like u have it backwards krandall.

and livingmylife93, unhook the speaker wires at the back of the deck, and run 1 set of them to a speaker in your lap and see if u get sound.  and let me know what happens, doesnt matter which deck speaker wires u use, just make sure they match (say 2 purple ones)
98% of north americans that hit the ditch say "oh shit", the other 2% are from saskatchewan and say "hold my beer and watch this"