Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: A arm questions  (Read 3000 times)

Offline scubasteve

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
A arm questions
« on: July 20, 2009, 10:55:55 PM »
Ok. So a few questions on a arms. Some are stupid. but anyways, I have been looking into a arms. But what is this travel? From what I have been reading you need new shocks for longer travel. Does +2+1 lower it? And could I go +2+1 then throw on some yfz450 shocks and work since yfz450 shocks are 1-1.5 inches longer?
2001 Raptor 660 - Big gun slip on, K&N filter, Dynojet, White Bros. Nerfs, Blingstar Iron cross Bumper, Fresh top end.

Needs, Swingarm bearings, front hub bearings, steering stem bearings, clutch, chain, and sprockets. :)

Online Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
Re: A arm questions
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 11:13:46 PM »
Long travel arms have a much lower shock mount on the bottom arm. Giving it around an inch more travel. Regular arms have the mount up above the arm, long travel, it sits below. Yes, you need longer shocks, or it will sit too low.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Alkire193

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 10
  • I have candy.....
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 11:43:23 PM »
Depends on what youre going for.

You can buy just +2 A-arms with a standard travel 450 shock and it will improve your handling. This is a common starter upgrade for 700 owners. The A-arms will also lower your quad some.  A long travel set up will be more expensive but increase the suspension travel which will make for some smoother more comfortable riding than standard travel.  

Suspension travel is the distance at which a shock or your bike travels from fully extended to fully compressed. Example: If I jumped my raptor 6 feet in the air would I rather have a shock 6inches long or 36 inches long? The 6 inch shock would have only 6 inches to stop my quad from slamming into the ground, the 36 inch shock would have a yard of distance before impact to cushion my landing. More travel and good adjustments make a softer landing.

Hope this helps some.

Offline Bert

• Street Cred: 7
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 06:11:22 AM »
+2+1 arms are 2" wider and 1" forward.

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 24
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 09:08:37 AM »
Ok. So a few questions on a arms. Some are stupid. but anyways, I have been looking into a arms. But what is this travel? From what I have been reading you need new shocks for longer travel. Does +2+1 lower it? And could I go +2+1 then throw on some yfz450 shocks and work since yfz450 shocks are 1-1.5 inches longer?

No, you can't use the Long travel a-arms with regular travel shocks.  The change in angle is just too large.  The 04-09 standard and SE yfz shocks are about the same length as the 660 shocks, if not a bit shorter.  Now if you buy long travel yfz450R shocks (notice the "R" in the model of the atv) then yes you can run long travel a-arms, but you should still have them revalved for the application.

Regular yfz shocks on standard travel +2/+1 a-arms will lower the ride height.

Offline scubasteve

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 12:56:43 PM »
But I am looking to lower it alittle too. So I could go +2+1 then stock yfz450 shocks and it will lower it an inch right? I dont jump my quad a whole lot and when I do its not that high. So wold this work out for me or not?
2001 Raptor 660 - Big gun slip on, K&N filter, Dynojet, White Bros. Nerfs, Blingstar Iron cross Bumper, Fresh top end.

Needs, Swingarm bearings, front hub bearings, steering stem bearings, clutch, chain, and sprockets. :)

Offline Alkire193

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 10
  • I have candy.....
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 02:40:24 PM »
Im not sure how much lower the quad gets with +2, but if the yzf shocks are an inch longer youll have to realize that it will raise the quad some. You might just end up canceling out what youre trying to do. But the YZF shocks will make for a smoother ride.

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 24
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 04:08:06 PM »
But I am looking to lower it alittle too. So I could go +2+1 then stock yfz450 shocks and it will lower it an inch right? I dont jump my quad a whole lot and when I do its not that high. So wold this work out for me or not?

YFZ shocks even on a standard front end can lower the front if you drop the preload enough.  Typically you can expect a 1-2" drop from the OEM shocks, closer to 2 with the extended a-arms.  This setup will work if you're just trail riding, but will be a bit soft so be mindful of it.