Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Oil pan gasket  (Read 3136 times)

Offline shookie

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
Oil pan gasket
« on: July 12, 2009, 04:18:05 PM »
So im going to change my oil pan on my 454 big block. I bought a new one and it came with a cork gasket. Should I use some black rtv on both sides of it then install or just install it with out the rtv?  :help:
2008 Raptor 700r SE
Hmf Ballance(black), PCV, Pro Design Foam,Maxxis razr 2 all the way around, Pro Taper SE Raptor Bend, ASV Levers, odi ROUGE lock on grips, Tusk Billet gas cap, Dr. D Reverse Lever, Rock A-arm guards, Rock nerfs
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own

Ranger

Re: Oil pan gasket
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 05:15:51 PM »
I think you could just use the RTV without using the gasket, or use a very small amount on both sides to keep it in place, but you don't want to put too much or it could leak from the cork gasket moving around and pressure from the oil pumping.

Offline shookie

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 05:37:11 PM »
I think you could just use the RTV without using the gasket, or use a very small amount on both sides to keep it in place, but you don't want to put too much or it could leak from the cork gasket moving around and pressure from the oil pumping.
I called my uncle and he told me i should use tack just on the oil pan to help hold the gasket in place.
Thankss
2008 Raptor 700r SE
Hmf Ballance(black), PCV, Pro Design Foam,Maxxis razr 2 all the way around, Pro Taper SE Raptor Bend, ASV Levers, odi ROUGE lock on grips, Tusk Billet gas cap, Dr. D Reverse Lever, Rock A-arm guards, Rock nerfs

Ranger

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 07:10:31 PM »
Yeah cause there'd be no point to using the gasket if you had RTV on both sides haha, the RTV would be more of the sealer

Offline Duane

• Email
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 03:20:05 AM »
small strip of RTV at the four corners where the rubber seals to the cork and I've always used a very and I mean very small coating, just in case. Don't over torque either, anything more then using a 1/4 inch ratchet is to much.
07 Rappy 700r SE1
1. Barker duals
2. FuelATV air filter
3. PCIIIusb
4. Prog Dyantek ing
5. stgII Hotcm
6. Kenny TB bore
7. JE 11-1 piston
ebay 8k HIDs, skat 21/12-8 7 paddles, I-shock I4500, G-force axle, CCP sterring stabilizer
other toy 66 2 door post Nova, LS1/4l60e, in progress

Offline UncleBeaner

• Original Gangsta
  • Super Chat Moderator
  • Street Cred: 17
  • el oh el
    • Brian'smomhastheclap.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 09:19:00 AM »

your stupid and should never work on a car ever.

if you must use the cork gasket then run thin bead around to hold gasket and put a nice daps at all four corners to ensure now leaks. if you can use the one piece rubber one. they are usally avaible for around $20 and are worth their weight in gold plus the have metal inserts in them  to they cannot be over tightened. a cork gasket can be over tightened and ruined very easy.
:beans:

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 09:42:32 AM »
a cork gasket can be over tightened and ruined very easy.

been there, done that. :mad:

4x4 S-10 4cylinder. oil pan gasket should take 3 hours or so, took me like 2 days back when I was in high school.  :rolleyes:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline shookie

• Email
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 11:42:40 AM »
I have looked all over for the rubber and no luck :( I will try this one and if it dosent work i will be doing it again :mad: Does any one know the tq order on the pan.
2008 Raptor 700r SE

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 12:37:09 PM »
I have looked all over for the rubber and no luck :( I will try this one and if it dosent work i will be doing it again :mad:

Not worth the risk! keep looking, wouldn't want any little shookies running around.   :rofl:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline shookie

• Email
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 12:52:06 PM »
Well im going to try to find a rubber one. Im doing the rear diff today. I got a chrome rear diff that came with a paper gasket. going to buy some red rtv im hoping that works ???
2008 Raptor 700r SE

Offline UncleBeaner

• Original Gangsta
  • Super Chat Moderator
  • Street Cred: 17
  • el oh el
    • Brian'smomhastheclap.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 11:38:09 AM »
check those cheap pans for a flatness callout or you will have more issues than its worth.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FPP-1884R/

is you have a 2 piece rear main there you go
:beans:

Offline Duane

• Email
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 11:48:59 AM »
I have looked all over for the rubber and no luck :( I will try this one and if it dosent work i will be doing it again :mad: Does any one know the tq order on the pan.

Get them all started and seated, just till there is resistence on the threads and then start in the middle and work your way front and back. I tighten them twice using minimal torque. the corner bolts are usually larger and also have torque plates on them, but all should still be torqued the same. The one piece rubber gaskets are usually a order item and can be gotten at places like summitracing.com or jegs.com. The cork should be fine. When you see the gasket start to just squeeze out, you have plenty of pressure on the bolts.

Like I said I always run a small spread of RTV on both sides of the gasket, just barely enough to see a shean.
07 Rappy 700r SE1
1. Barker duals
2. FuelATV air filter
3. PCIIIusb
4. Prog Dyantek ing
5. stgII Hotcm
6. Kenny TB bore
7. JE 11-1 piston
ebay 8k HIDs, skat 21/12-8 7 paddles, I-shock I4500, G-force axle, CCP sterring stabilizer

Offline shookie

• Email
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 04:07:54 PM »
Thanks Im going to try the cork one. If it doesent work hell I will get more practice time.  :rofl: I looked at the pan today and noticed that 2 bolts were missing from each side ??? Looks like they lost them and didnt replace them because theres a rtv type stuff coming out of them. Should i replace them?  :help:
2008 Raptor 700r SE

Offline Duane

• Email
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 04:51:55 AM »
Thanks Im going to try the cork one. If it doesent work hell I will get more practice time.  :rofl: I looked at the pan today and noticed that 2 bolts were missing from each side ??? Looks like they lost them and didnt replace them because theres a rtv type stuff coming out of them. Should i replace them?  :help:

Yes replace them, hopefully the threads are not broken off in the block. Also I think they are 1/4-20's thread size, something in the 1/2" to 5/8" inch in length.
07 Rappy 700r SE1
1. Barker duals
2. FuelATV air filter
3. PCIIIusb
4. Prog Dyantek ing
5. stgII Hotcm
6. Kenny TB bore
7. JE 11-1 piston

Offline shookie

• Email
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 08:42:22 PM »
Thanks Im going to try the cork one. If it doesent work hell I will get more practice time.  :rofl: I looked at the pan today and noticed that 2 bolts were missing from each side ??? Looks like they lost them and didnt replace them because theres a rtv type stuff coming out of them. Should i replace them?  :help:

Yes replace them, hopefully the threads are not broken off in the block. Also I think they are 1/4-20's thread size, something in the 1/2" to 5/8" inch in length.
Thanks i will just take one of the old ones into the auto store
2008 Raptor 700r SE