Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Ebay plug n play HID's  (Read 9968 times)

Ranger

Re: Ebay plug n play HID's
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2009, 08:15:52 PM »
Bright enough?

Don't run em long with the motor off, it drains the battery after a good minute or so...I nearly had to break out the jump box.

Offline SprinterX

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 0
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2009, 08:47:51 PM »
Just got back from a weeks vacation to find this thread on HIDs. A few questions if I may.

1) I see from the ebay ad that they draw 35 watts, is this the same a stock?

2) I also have the Trail Tech MR16 HIDs (flood & spot), will the stock stator handle both HID set-ups?

3) For those that have them installed, how did you find the projected beam pattern?
By that I mean was the light controled and directed properly. Much of the critizism I've read about retrofitting HID bulds (in autos anyway) is the poor control and dispersion of the light beam. Bright is great but if it's all over the place, how's that a benefit.

4) Can the lights be wired to allow this HID kit on LOW switch selection and then when selected to HIGH my other MR16 are turned on also (both HID set-ups on at the same time)?

5) How difficult or goofy is it to mount the larger ballasts or should a guy just get the small/slim style to begin with?

6) Will I be burning down the forest in front of me with both HID set-ups on at the same time? 

7) Who do I contact to order these?

Thanx, Kirk
08 Raptor 700

RE +1 head, X4 cam, TQS 11.5 piston, KDS +3 TB & evac, FCI,
Barkers duals, PC5 with A/T, Dyna Programmable, DL700 tune.
+2 I-Shock arms, Rock axle, reworked shocks, GTT link, +4 oem ext'd swinger
Elka Sys5 Dampner, Fasst Flexx on Rox anti-vibe risers, TT HIDs
Razr2 on HiPers, Skat 21/12/8 8pdl extremes, Sandstar frts
Roll bumper, PA guards/nerfs/skids

Ranger

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2009, 09:34:12 PM »
1) Stock is different...But it's the lowest that a HID is in standard configuration, auto apps are 55w normally.
2) Don't know for sure...My battery went almost dead when I left the lights on to do some pics but when I got it fired back up it was handling the lights ok...I would upgrade to be sure.
3) It's got a good directed pattern...I will have to try em out in a night ride to be sure but it isn't "scattered" like people claim.
4) Yes
5) The standard ballasts can be mounted pretty easily, I have them on stock brackets but I plan to relocate behind the radiator
6) Nope...Unless you're nose diving into the trees
7) PM Krandall for the pay info

Offline SprinterX

• VIP
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2009, 10:20:21 AM »
^^^  Thanx Ranger
I remembered seeing something in my TT Users Manual about "available power". Sure enough, they say the Raptor 700 has 120 watts of DC power available so adding the TT MR16s (30 watts each) should not be an issue, unless of course I leave them all on with the engine off.  ;)
A little more research shows the we have Dual 30W Krypton multi-reflector headlights so adding 5 watts per side with these HIDs shouldn't cause any problems.  :thumbs:
08 Raptor 700

RE +1 head, X4 cam, TQS 11.5 piston, KDS +3 TB & evac, FCI,
Barkers duals, PC5 with A/T, Dyna Programmable, DL700 tune.
+2 I-Shock arms, Rock axle, reworked shocks, GTT link, +4 oem ext'd swinger
Elka Sys5 Dampner, Fasst Flexx on Rox anti-vibe risers, TT HIDs
Razr2 on HiPers, Skat 21/12/8 8pdl extremes, Sandstar frts
Roll bumper, PA guards/nerfs/skids

Ranger

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2009, 10:35:12 AM »
Yeah, just don't leave em on too long haha, it drains the battery pretty quick and while I was doing that night shot the HIDs started cutting out...Good thing I shut em off and fired it up cause the batt was pretty low.

Offline Danny T

• Street Cred: 3
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2009, 01:13:17 PM »
ranger i have the same setup (didnt buy them from ebay) got em on DDMtuning.com website. anywho when i first start the bike they flicker, left light on then right light on. after 30 seconds they both stay on... does this happen with you?

Ranger

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2009, 01:16:25 PM »
Sometimes...When they're cold one of them will take a split second longer to fire up...I haven't had them on for a long period of time but I know with my truck if they're on for a while (like 5-10 minutes) they'll usually be warmed up enough that there's very little flickering.

Offline Bert

• Street Cred: 7
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2009, 09:01:13 AM »
I was looking at lighting kits for motorcycles & noticed there kit uses One Driving lens and one Long Range lenshttp://www.kchilites.com/store/5-HID-Motorcycle-Systembr-9615-Black-P454C94.aspx

You guys think theres a noticeable advantage having one flood beam & one driving light?

For the price... NO way.
I was thinking bar mounted Hid's, One flood beam  & one spot beam using this kit.  Riding at night you could aim your lights the direction your traveling vs where the machine is pointed providing your driving drifting style in the snow or bombing some Mn rivers @ night.   :)

A few questions if I may.

2) I also have the Trail Tech MR16 HIDs (flood & spot), will the stock stator handle both HID set-ups?

3) For those that have them installed, how did you find the projected beam pattern?
By that I mean was the light controled and directed properly. Much of the critizism I've read about retrofitting HID bulds (in autos anyway) is the poor control and dispersion of the light beam. Bright is great but if it's all over the place, how's that a benefit.

4) Can the lights be wired to allow this HID kit on LOW switch selection and then when selected to HIGH my other MR16 are turned on also (both HID set-ups on at the same time)?

6) Will I be burning down the forest in front of me with both HID set-ups on at the same time? 

Thanx, Kirk

2) Has anyone tried this first hand?

3) For those that have them installed.... did you adjust your headlight or not?

4)Is this a matter of a jumper wire?

6) Good question...

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2009, 02:00:14 PM »
I dont think the stator could support both HID systems on at the same time.

I finally finally got a chance to ride w/ mine on this past weekend. pitch black out. these things light up the night like no body's business. it was insane. seriously like the sun was shining in front of me... awesome!!! :clap:

I did notice when idling. I would get a flicker in one bulb though.. What does this relay do again?

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline cobramn99

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2009, 12:07:43 PM »
My bulbs seem to be loose when I test fit them.  Is this normal?  Is there a GOOD place to mount the ballast?

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2009, 12:17:18 PM »
they should fit in nice and tight just like the oem ones do. they have the exact same style mount.

I mounted one ballast on the frame right behind the coolant overflow and the other on the frame right behind the radiator. Turned out pretty good.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline bustedplastic

• Street Cred: 1
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2009, 10:15:17 PM »

I did notice when idling. I would get a flicker in one bulb though.. What does this relay do again?

I don't know what the relay does, but about a year and a half ago I ordered some plug and play hids with the slim ballasts off of ebay.  Did some night riding and was like damn, these are bright.  Friend of mine said yeah, bet they'd be even brighter if both of them stayed on.  So I called the guy that sold them to me and he helped me troubleshoot.  Finally he said, I'll send you a plug and play relay.  Hook it up and your problems will be solved.  I hooked it up and problem was solved.  it's odd, it only plugs into one headlight plug and then the headlights plug into the relay harness.  It's a wiry mess, but now the ballasts sit under my seat and the only wires running to the headlights i just ran along my frame.  There is room to shorten the relay harness, I'm just lazy and dont feel like soldering.  I was worried there would be durability issues, and there have been none.  The ballasts are holding up, the only problem is when i go too deep, i fill my headlights up with water because i havent sealed up the holes i cut in the headlight shroud. This is a testament to how durable the bulbs are too.  They have been completely submerged in water.  Just dont touch them with your bare hands, oil from your finger can burn them out.  

Here is a listing from the guy I bought the HID kit from.  I cannot find a listing for the relay though.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-Raptor-HID-Replacement-Light-Kit-Slim-Ballast_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1c0bf24ccfQQitemZ120459513039QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_3878wt_939

Here are some pictures.

I'm pointing to where the relay harness plugs in, the two wires run back to under the seat.

Here you can see the clusterfuck of wires.  All that black shrouded wiring can probably be trimmed back.

Here you can see where my ballasts sit.

On both sides this is where I mounted the HID wire running to each headlight.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 10:18:59 PM by bustedplastic »

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2009, 11:23:43 PM »
I have been slacking.. Here's where I mounted my balasts

both ziptied to the frame using the 1/2" insulation that has a sticky tape side.

Here's Stock vs. HID

Outside with everything button'd up

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Shawnz

« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2009, 02:48:45 PM »
The smaller ballasts make life easier.   Here is how I have mine (that's both ballasts sandwiching a bracket):

Almost invisible with the plastics back on:

If you having trouble with one light flickering and going out at startup the ballast is starving for power.   The relay kit solves this.

It doesn't hurt to keep the battery topped off with a tender as well  ;)

« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 02:51:43 PM by Shawnz »
2007 Raptor GYTR

Offline Hefe

• SiteAdmin
  • Testicular Sanitation Personnel
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2009, 09:27:14 AM »
Be Careful Krandall, looks like you have a shock bolt loose, u may wanna look at that