Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Breaking News Thread Version 2.0  (Read 124217 times)

Offline Flynbyu

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 23
  • I'm all out of quotes, take off hoser
Breaking News Thread Version 2.0
« on: June 12, 2009, 11:44:46 AM »
Chastity Bono, gay-rights activist and child of performer Cher and the late entertainer and politician Sonny Bono, is in the early stages of transitioning from a female to a male and will be known as Chaz, his spokesman said Thursday.

Activist Chastity Bono is transitioning from female to male and will be known as Chaz.

"Chaz, after many years of consideration, has made the courageous decision to honor his her true identity," Howard Bragman said in a written statement.

"He She is proud of his her decision and grateful for the support and respect that has already been shown by his her loved ones. It is Chaz's hope that his her choice to transition will open the hearts and minds of the public regarding this issue, just as his her 'coming out' did nearly 20 years ago."

Someone's decision to transition does not necessarily mean they are undergoing gender reassignment surgery, and in many cases they do not, said Mara Keisling, executive director of the Washington-based National Center for Transgender Equality.

"The whole media fixation on surgery is kind of misplaced," she said. "Almost no transgender people ever have surgery. We don't have any idea how many do."

An estimated one-quarter to one-half percent of the American population is transsexual, however, Keisling said. "It's sort of a general term that encompasses both or either a social transition or a medical transition."
Don't Miss

Keisling said she was unaware of the specifics in Bono's case, but speaking generally, a transition means that he she will now want to be "known, seen, viewed" as a male.

"The actual details depend on his needs and wants and his her doctor's needs and wants," she said.

Bragman asked that the media "respect Chaz's privacy during this long process, as he will not be doing any interviews at this time."

Now 40, Bono as a little girl made regular appearances on her parents' show, "The Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour."

As an adult, he she has been a longtime gay-rights advocate and been closely associated with the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation. Photo See more photos from Chastity Bono's life »

Bono's father, Sonny Bono, was a U.S. representative from California when he was killed in a skiing accident in January 1998.

Okay, I have a problem with this.....born a woman, always a woman.....especially if you DON'T have a surgery. Even if you do have the surgery, you're still assigned DNA at birth. There's no changing it.

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
Re: Breaking News Thread Version 2.0
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 11:48:05 AM »
FLynbyu: Okay, I have a problem with this.....born a woman, always a woman.....especially if you DON'T have a surgery. Even if you do have the surgery, you're still assigned DNA at birth. There's no changing it.

Liar. Explain your weekly visit to the hooker with a bulge.  :lol:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Flynbyu

• VIP
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 11:52:35 AM »
FLynbyu: Okay, I have a problem with this.....born a woman, always a woman.....especially if you DON'T have a surgery. Even if you do have the surgery, you're still assigned DNA at birth. There's no changing it.

Liar. Explain your weekly visit to the hooker with a bulge.  :lol:

Not me.....You're thinking Temptation.

He's the one that can't pick a man out of a lineup......

:lol:

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline Flynbyu

• VIP
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 12:06:02 PM »
Real `Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds' gravely ill

They were childhood chums. Then they drifted apart, lost touch completely, and only renewed their friendship decades later, when illness struck.

Not so unusual, really.

Except she is Lucy Vodden — the girl who was the inspiration for the Beatles' 1967 psychedelic classic "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" — and he is Julian Lennon, the musician son of John Lennon.

They are linked together by something that happened more than 40 years ago when Julian brought home a drawing from school and told his father, "That's Lucy in the sky with diamonds."

Just the sort of cute phrase lots of 3- or 4-year-olds produce — but not many have a father like John Lennon, who used it as a springboard for a legendary song that became a centerpiece on the landmark album "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band."

"Julian got in touch with me out of the blue, when he heard how ill I was, and he said he wanted to do something for me," said the 46-year-old Vodden, who has lupus, a chronic disease where the immune system attacks the body's own tissue.

Lennon, who lives in France, sent his old friend flowers and vouchers she could use to buy plants at a local gardening center, since working in her garden is one of the few activities she is still occasionally well enough to enjoy. More importantly, he has offered her friendship and a connection to more carefree days. They communicate mostly by text message.

"I wasn't sure at first how to approach her. I wanted at least to get a note to her," Julian Lennon told The Associated Press. "Then I heard she had a great love of gardening, and I thought I'd help with something she's passionate about, and I love gardening too. I wanted to do something to put a smile on her face."

Vodden admits she enjoys her association with the song, but doesn't particularly care for it. Perhaps that's not surprising. It was thought by many at the time, including BBC executives who banned the song, that the classic was a paean to LSD because of the initials in the title. Plus, she and Julian were 4 years old in 1967, the "Summer of Love" when "Sgt. Pepper" was released to worldwide acclaim. She missed the psychedelic era to which the song is indelibly linked.

"I don't relate to the song, to that type of song," said Vodden, described as "the girl with kaleidoscope eyes" in the lyrics. "As a teenager, I made the mistake of telling a couple of friends at school that I was the Lucy in the song and they said, 'No, it's not you, my parents said it's about drugs.' And I didn't know what LSD was at the time, so I just kept it quiet, to myself."

There's no doubt the fanciful lyrics and swirling musical effects draw heavily on the LSD experiences that were shaping Lennon's artistic output at the time — although many of the musical flourishes were provided by producer George Martin, who was not a drug user.

"The imagery in the song is partly a reflection of John's drug experiences, and partly his love of `Alice in Wonderland,'" said Steve Turner, author of "A Hard Day's Write," a book that details the origins of every Beatles song. "At the time it came out, it seemed overtly psychedelic, it sounded like some kind of trip. It was completely new at the time. To me it is very evocative of the period."

Turner said his research, including interviews with Vodden and Julian Lennon, confirm that she is the Lucy in the song. He said it was common for John Lennon to "snatch songs out of thin air" based on a simple phrase he heard on TV or an item he read in the newspapers. In this case, Turner said, it was the phrase from Julian that triggered John's imagination.

Veteran music critic Fred Schruers said Julian Lennon's reaching out to help Vodden as she fights the disease is particularly moving because of the childlike nature of the song.

"It's enormously evocative but with a tinge of poignancy," he said. "It's the lost childhood Julian had with that little Lucy and the lost innocence we had with the psychedelic era, an innocence we really cherished until it was snatched away."

Vodden was diagnosed with lupus about five years ago after suffering other serious health problems. She has been struggling extreme fatigue, joint pain, and other ailments.

"She's not given up, she's a fighter, and she has her family backing her, that's a good thing," said Angie Davidson, campaign director for St. Thomas' Lupus Trust, which funds research. "We need more people like her, more Lucys."

Davidson, who also has the disease, said it affects each person differently, typically causing exhaustion and depression. When the disease kills, she said, it does so by attacking the body's internal organs.

It has become difficult for Vodden to go out — most of her trips are to the hospital — but recently she and her husband went to a bookstore and heard the song playing over the store's music system. When they went to another shop, the song was on there as well.

"That made me giggle," she said.

One of my favorite Beatles songs!

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline Flynbyu

• VIP
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 12:59:40 PM »
ERMAHGERD.

This is hilarious, minus the $1500 bill from the vet.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2009/06/12/gertsch.dog.high.dnt.komo

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 01:07:47 PM »
ERMAHGERD.

~Brian

ERMAHGERD! Awesome!

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline wastednuts

• Street Cred: 3
  • Glamis live the life
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 01:18:59 PM »
ERMAHGERD.

~Brian

im going to the park today  :clap:

Offline Flynbyu

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 01:22:04 PM »
No shit....5 lbs of weed!

Damn!

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 02:51:33 PM »
No shit....5 lbs of weed!

Damn!

~Brian

<Brian gets massive craving for cheetos>

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 06:27:27 AM »
wow....

On the Fourth of July weekend of 1957, Darrell Robertson was on a train from Fort Lewis, Wash., to southern Nevada. He was one of hundreds of young men with orders in hand to take part in a training exercise that they were told was crucial to the fight against communism.

The native of Lamar was headed deep into the burnt landscape of the Mojave Desert, to a place called Camp Desert Rock. There, between 1945 and 1958, the U.S. military conducted 106 atmospheric nuclear tests.

At the time, Robertson said, military brass believed a nuclear confrontation with the Soviets was likely. They were intent on developing a group of troops hardened by repeated exposure to radiation. They thought exposure to radiation was like sunning on the beach: First you burn, then you tan.

“Today, you think, ‘How would you ever harden troops to that?’ ” Robertson said in an interview this week at the Tribune. “It’s not something that you can become accustomed to or environmentally be exposed to and continue to go on. That’s just not a fact. But see, they didn’t know that then.”

On one of his first days in the tent city, Robertson was roused at 4 a.m. — the time of least wind and highest humidity in the desert — and driven to a lookout spot known as Newsman’s Knob to observe his first-ever “shot.”

Putting on a heavy jacket, helmet, goggles and leather gloves, Robertson and more than 100 others were instructed to crouch, cover their eyes and turn away from the cloud. What followed was a relatively minor detonation — only a few kilotons — but many of the newbies in his group weren’t prepared for the “blowback” that came moments later. They “just rolled around on the ground like footballs,” he said.

It was an awesome force. A nuclear bomb thrusts so much air away from its center that it creates a vacuum moments later that sucks wind back in until it can achieve normal air pressure. The rushing blowback can hit onlookers like a wooden bat to the stomach.

And when the blast went off, Robertson saw something that has been emblazoned forever in his memory. He says he could see through his gloves and flesh all the way to his bones. He can’t explain this brief X-ray vision, but the image shook him so deeply that he didn’t talk about it until decades later, when he heard other atomic veterans of that era report similar phenomena they attribute to radiation exposure.

In the coming weeks, Robertson and his men from the First Battle Group, 12th Infantry observed 12 to 15 nuclear blasts. Typically they waited two to four hours after the shot before they went to ground zero for maneuvers. Each man was given a tiny “film badge” to record the level of radiation he encountered.

Scientists also maintained on-site labs where animals from pigs to rats were exposed to the toxic dust that lingered in the air for hours, depending on the wind.

Destruction at these sites was total: Robertson saw a 100-foot steel tower incinerated in an instant. The largest blast he observed, code named “Smoky,” was a magnitude of 44 kilotons — about three times the force of the bomb dropped on Hiroshima. It was enough to turn sand into glass several feet deep.

“Were we guinea pigs? Yes, very much so. If that’s the vernacular you want to use,” he said. He and others just trusted their government. “You know you’re in harm’s way, but you assume that they’re not putting you out there to absolutely crucify you.”

Robertson completed the work and eventually moved back home, where he and his wife, Barbara, operated a dairy farm and raised two children. Darrell even was a member of the National Guard for 35 years after leaving active duty.

But the legacy of his time in Nevada has stayed with him. Robertson only has two-thirds of a kidney and one-third of his pancreas; the rest was lost to cancer. He also has had traces of cancer show up in his liver and prostate and has spots on his lungs.

Yet somehow it took him three years of compiling evidence for the Army to acknowledge a service connection between his radiation exposure and his cancer. In 2002 he held the first Missouri meeting for atomic veterans in Joplin. He expected a few local vets to attend, but dozens showed up from nine different states, including Alaska. Many told heart-wrenching stories about their medical problems.

“If you sat there and listened to their stories, you’d almost go out crying,” Barbara Robertson said.

Since the 1950s, thousands of residents of towns downwind from the blast sites have developed cancers. In 1956, the John Wayne film “The Conqueror” was filmed in St. George, Utah, downwind of the test site. Many in that production eventually died of cancer, including Wayne himself.

It’s enough to make a person bitter about his government, but somehow Robertson isn’t. Today, as he and his wife commute regularly back and forth from Lamar to Truman Memorial Veterans’ Hospital and Ellis Fischel Cancer Center in Columbia for his treatments, he sometimes daydreams about seeing just one more blast. Only this time he’d like to bring along world leaders such as Barack Obama, Vladimir Putin, Angela Merkel and others.

That’s because, he said, if they ever saw a nuclear bomb detonate with their own eyes, they’d never, ever want to dream of ordering one dropped in combat.

“I do believe it would change their minds,” he said.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 09:11:32 AM »
there's a huge dedication memorial to those guys in my building.

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 07:31:28 AM »
I'm all for this and everything, but I honestly think Obama needs to back off the spending for a bit. All this crazy talk from him scares me w/ how much it's costing our country.

Obama urges doctors to back his health care plans
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090615/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama_doctors

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama, continuing to barnstorm for his health care proposals, will urge doctors gathered in Chicago to support wider insurance coverage and targeted federal spending cuts.

Obama planned to tell the American Medical Association's annual meeting in his hometown on Monday that overhaul cannot wait and that bringing down costs is the most important thing he can do to ensure the country's long-term fiscal health, a senior administration official said.

The official spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss the president's remarks before they were delivered.

The nation's doctors, like many other groups, are divided over the president's proposals to reshape the health care delivery system. The White House anticipates heavy spending to cover the almost 50 million Americans who lack health insurance and has taken steps in recent days to outline just where that money could be found.

For instance, Obama wants to cut federal payments to hospitals by about $200 billion and cut $313 billion from Medicare and Medicaid. He also is proposing a $635 billion "down payment" in tax increases and spending cuts in the health care system.

To an audience of doctors Obama plans to say the United States spends too much on health care and gets too little in return. He says the health industry is crushing businesses and families and is leading to millions of Americans losing coverage, the administration official said.

Obama's turn before the 250,000-physician group in his latest effort to persuade skeptics that his goal to provide health care to all Americans is worth the $1 trillion price tag it is expected to run during its first decade.

The president plans to acknowledge the costs. But he also will tell the doctors it is not acceptable for the nation to leave so many without insurance, the official said.

Unified Republicans and some fiscally conservative Democrats on Capitol Hill have said they are nervous about how the administration plans to pay for Obama's ideas.

The New York Times reported Monday that Obama has been quietly making a case for reducing malpractice lawsuits to help control costs, long a goal of the AMA and Republicans. Obama has not endorsed capping jury awards

Former Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle, D-S.D., said Monday that controlling the cost of malpractice insurance would have to be a part of the Obama administration's overhaul of the health care system.

Daschle, whose nomination for secretary of health and human resources was derailed because of questions about his personal finances, said much of the unnecessary annual health care cost can be attributed to doctors ordering extra tests and taking extra precautions to make sure "they aren't sued."

Obama has been speaking privately with lawmakers about his ideas and publicly with audiences, such as a town hall style meeting last week in Green Bay, Wis. Obama and his administration officials have blanketed the nation in support of his broad ideas, and Vice President Joe Biden on Sunday said it's up to Congress to pin down the details on how to pay for them.

"They're either going to have to agree with us, come up with an alternative or we're not going to have health care," Biden told NBC's "Meet the Press."

"And we're going to get health care."

In Chicago, the president's remarks are likely to focus on how his ideas might affect the medical profession.

His proposed cuts in federal payments would hit hospitals more directly than doctors, but physicians will be affected by virtually every change that Congress eventually agrees to. Many medical professionals are not yet convinced Obama's overhaul is the best for their care or their pocketbooks.

Broadly, the AMA supports a health care "reform" — a term that changes its definition based on who is speaking — although the specifics remain unclear.

In a statement welcoming Obama, AMA president Dr. Nancy Nielsen said the medical profession wants to "reduce unnecessary costs by focusing on quality improvements, such as developing best practices for care and improving medication reconciliation."

She also said doctors need greater protection from malpractice lawsuits and antitrust restrictions.

Many congressional Republicans, insurance groups and others oppose Obama's bid for a government-run health insurance program that would compete with private companies. On Sunday, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., described a government plan as a "nonstarter."

"There are a whole lot of other things we can agree to do on a bipartisan basis that will dramatically improve our system," he said.

To that end, lawmakers were considering a possible compromise that involved a cooperative program that would enjoy taxpayer support without direct governmental control. The concessions could be the smoothest way to deliver the bipartisan health care legislation the administration seeks by its self-imposed August deadline, officials said.

"There is no one-size-fits-all idea," Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius told CNN's "State of the Union" on Sunday.

"The president has said, 'These are the kinds of goals I'm after: lowering costs, covering all Americans, higher-quality care.' And around those goals, there are lots of ways to get there."

Momentum might be on Obama's side. Aaron Carroll, an Indiana University medical professor who has surveyed doctors' views on U.S. health care delivery, said 59 percent "favor government legislation to establish national health insurance," an increase over a previous poll's finding.

He noted that many doctors are not AMA members, and therefore the association's views should not be overrated.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Flynbyu

• VIP
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 11:44:13 AM »
there's a huge dedication memorial to those guys in my building.

Shit there better be....especially after they were duped into it.

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline Flynbyu

• VIP
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 11:56:40 AM »
I have mixed feelings on health care.

To provide a system of health care like Canada has as example, we would need MASSIVE constraints from companies that manufacture medication, etc.. Too many doctors milk insurance companies by trying to keep you in the network as long as possible to collect from insurance several times before diagnosis is made, or a referral is given to a specialist. The cycle then repeats. I think everyone should have health care.

A friend I work with here is having to pay for a surgery to fix his collar bone out of pocket because he can't afford insurance. He'll have to make payments forever.....He's 24 years old and recently married. Neither him or his wife have insurance. It's sad because he's a good kid, and works hard for what he makes. It would cost him nearly $100 a week for insurance and he's just check to check to survive.

Why can't we roll like Canada?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_care_in_Canada

I think if you are a citizen of this tax paying nation, you should be entitled to it.

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 07:37:47 AM »
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Some 65 years after their service, the 300 surviving Women Airforce Service Pilots are being honored with the Congressional Gold Medal.

The House of Representatives on Tuesday passed a measure awarding the women one of the national's highest civilian honors. The Senate passed a similar measure in May and President Obama is expected to sign it.

With only about a quarter of the former WASPs still alive and all in their late 80s or older, it was important for the House to act quickly, Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, R-Florida, a sponsor of the bill, told CNN.

"This is a largely overlooked veterans group. They haven't gotten the medals they deserve, the recognition they deserve," Ros-Lehtinen told CNN.

From the time she was about 8 years old, Jane Tedeschi wanted to fly.

"[Charles] Lindbergh was flying across the Atlantic, and a lot of other people were flying air races and things like that. It was very romantic," she said.

Flight was still relatively new in the 1920s and 1930s, and female pilots were few.

But Tedeschi was determined.

In 1941, she found a childhood friend who taught flying and started taking lessons. After the friend was sent off to war and the airport near her home in Bethesda, Maryland, was closed to private flying, she traveled about 40 miles to Frederick and spent nights on the floor of a farmhouse to continue her lessons.

Around the same time, Deanie Parrish was working in a bank in Avon Park, Florida, and kept seeing aviation students who were attending a flying school there.

"I asked an instructor 'Why can't I learn to fly,' and he didn't have an answer...so I decided to find out for myself."

She found an instructor and started taking lessons.

These two women were not only fulfilling a personal dream. Along with 1,100 other women, they would become an instrumental part of the war effort during World War II, becoming the first women to fly U.S. military aircraft.

The Women Airforce Service Pilots was born in 1942 to create a corps of female pilots able to fill all types of flying jobs at home to free male military pilots to travel to the front.

In the days after the outbreak of the war, Jacqueline Cochran, one of the country's leading female pilots at the time, went to a key general to argue that women would be just as capable pilots as men if they were given the same training.

She won the argument, and the program was launched.

Parrish joined up at age 21 in November 1943.

"Everybody was doing something," she said. "I wanted to do something for my country."

Some 25,000 women pilots applied, and 1,830 were accepted. They had to pay their own way to Texas for 21 to 27 weeks of rigorous training, for which they received less pay than the male cadets in the same program, Parrish said.

Candidates had to be at least 21 years old and at least 5-feet, one-half inch tall.

When Tedeschi underwent a physical, she was told her height was only 5 feet.
"I frowned," she recalled. "I said I need that half-inch, so he wrote it down." She was in.

Eventually 1,102 women completed the program and were assigned to one of 120 bases across the country to start their missions.

Depending on the base, they did everything from participating in ground-to-air anti-aircraft practice; towing targets for air-to-air gunnery practice with live ammunition; flying drones; conducting night exercises; testing repaired aircraft before they were used in cadet training; serving as instructors; and transporting cargo and male pilots to embarkation points.

"We were still civilians. All of our training was to make [Army] Air Corps pilots," Tedeschi said.

They flew more than 60 million miles in every type of aircraft -- from the PT-17 and AT-6 trainers, the fastest attack planes like the A-24 and A-25 or heavy bombers such as B-17s or B-29s.

Paid $250 a month, the women were not officially part of the military -- receiving no benefits, no honors.

Eventually Parrish was sent to Florida where she flew a B-26 bomber for air-to-air target practice, training gunners for combat.

Tedeschi, who graduated in May 1944, was sent to a Selma, Alabama, base which did more engineering work.

"We did whatever they asked us," she recalled in a CNN interview. "You knew enough about flying you could adapt ... sometimes it was a little tougher."

For instance, she would take planes up after repair which could involve acrobatic work -- "which, of course, we liked to do," or be called to do night flying.

While the work was technically non-combat, it could be dangerous.

Thirty eight of the pilots were killed. Parrish recalled the military would not allow the flag to be put on a colleague's coffin.

"It still bothers me," she told CNN.

As the war was winding down in December 1944, the program was closed -- with no recognition from the government and not much help for the women who served.

"You got home the best way you could," said Parrish. "I paid my own way home."

The women then went off to restart their prewar lives -- but without getting any of the help that male veterans were getting.

Several of the women, however, said they were not bitter since the only reason they had signed up was to do their part for the country, pointing out that they were just like the thousands of other women who also learned new skills and went to work in the factories to replace male workers sent off to war.

"We were proud of what we did, and the war was over. It was time to get on," said Tedeschi, who is married and 89 years old.

But many Americans were not aware of their efforts. The WASP records were sealed for more than 30 years. In 1977 Congress voted to make them eligible for veterans' benefits.

"I didn't care for veteran status, but now I could have a flag on my coffin ... that is important to me," Parrish said.

Parrish married a pilot after the war. She and her daughter, Nancy, for over a decade have documented the work of the WASPs.
While some of the WASPs say the medal itself is a nice gesture, more importantly they say they hope the publicity will teach younger generations about their accomplishments and remind some still skeptical men just how capable women are.

"People all over the country will hear about it. It will be a national event," Parrish said.