Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Correct age to ride a Raptor 350  (Read 3242 times)

Offline MORAPTOR700

• Street Cred: 0
  • Beauti and the Beast
Correct age to ride a Raptor 350
« on: April 05, 2009, 05:59:51 PM »
First of I know the answer to this question but I would like some opinions. I have a daughter that is 10 getting ready to turn 11. We bought here a 110 Japan 4 wheeler 5 months ago. She rides the crap out of it. Well couple months ago bought a Honda Trx 250sx for my oldest daughter. My oldest just pokes around on it. Well my 10 yr old started riding it and she is really good on it. She handles it good, jumps really well with it also. She is very mechanically inclined and figures the mechanics of a machine out. She has rode my 700 a few times and handles the clutch really well. I would like to really get her a Honda TRX 250sx but I found a couple of used raptor 350. I know the machine is big for her but in a year or so it will fit her well and last her a long time.

So should I buy her a 350 or look for a 250??? Thanks and don't beat me up or this!!!!
2007 Raptor 700SE    Black/Orange

Offline russ-russ

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 10
  • I am Epic Win.
    • Email
Re: Correct age to ride a Raptor 350
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 06:09:43 PM »
If she can reach all the controls, and you are satisfied that she can handle it, why not?  One of the guys I ride with let his son ride his Banshee and the kid is like 7-8.  He did fine, we kept a close eye on him, kept him in first or second gear only, and all was well.  By the end of the day, he was climbing dunes with it and everything.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 06:14:20 PM by russ »

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 06:15:28 PM »
IMO opinion the 250 is just a better overall bike for her.  It's shorter stance and lighter weight will give her more confidence and less chance of getting bucked off.

My biggest concern with kids riding is there fit to the machine.  There needs to be enough space to the seat when they stand on the pegs to avoid being launched over the bars on a nasty bump or whoop. 

Also, I believe the 250 will keep her happier longer than a 350, and might suprise you on how well she can keep up in a few years (especially in the tight trails)  :thumbs:

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 10:30:42 PM »
A guy a ride with bought his son the 250 when he was 10. Races it! Rides the piss outta that thing. I agree with Colorado.

I am wondering if we are seeing the death of the 350 Raptor?
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline kyledvor61

• Mini Mini Ho
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 17
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 04:51:38 PM »
A guy a ride with bought his son the 250 when he was 10. Races it! Rides the piss outta that thing. I agree with Colorado.

I am wondering if we are seeing the death of the 350 Raptor?
The Raptor warrior was dead 10 years ago :lol:

Offline robkd

• Street Cred: 2
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 09:28:37 AM »
It all depends where your riding and such.  The 350 is something she could grow into, but at the same time might be a little much.  However on the flip side you can always adjust the throttle down to where she can't get to wild and crazy with it and such.  My personal opinion is with the atv market the way it is i would get her something she can be comfortable with right now, not what she will grow into.  Not to mention you buy the younger daughter a bigger bike than the older daughter will want one too. $$$$$$  Good luck

Offline 1badazz_700r

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 3
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 03:00:39 PM »
i say if she is experienced go for the 350 and slow it down if you have to. because before you know it she will out grow the 250 and you will be buying a 350 anyway. my neighbors boy is 10 and riding the hell outta the 350. It all comes back to the parent's super vission on the child. just keep a close eye on her. jmo

Just a little 778
105.5 WK cylinder CP 11:1
hotrods +5 crank
racersedge +2 head,with webb4
54mmTB with custom intake
sparks X-6exhaust
PC5/w autotune
dynatek programmable
slingshot lockup
+3 stock swingarm
hiper dual beadlocks/w gncc holeshots
flexx bars,burgard+2stem/w antivibe
ASV's
odi's

Offline G-Man

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 09:01:59 PM »
We have an 07 TRX250EX for my girlfriend's 10 yr old son.  He is fairly tall but not too heavy.  He fits the 250 well.  I think the Rap 350 would be too big.  Weight on the Rap is about 30 lbs more than the TRX.  The nice thing about the TRX250EX is that it has the auto-clutch.  You can ride it using the clutch like a traditional shift or not use the clutch and just shift up or down when needed.  Works very well when they forget to use the clutch.  I would have liked to have gotten a Rap 250 but they are standard clutch and no reverse.  Also, a lot more performance oriented than the Honda.  Especially with the 08 Rap 250's having a $1k rebate, I've seen them out the door for well under $3k.  Just because of frame size, I would stick with any of the 250's  JMO though.  Good luck.  Safety is number one.