Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: 250 Raptor carb question  (Read 2407 times)

Offline MORAPTOR700

• Street Cred: 0
  • Beauti and the Beast
250 Raptor carb question
« on: November 10, 2011, 03:03:33 PM »
Ok guys I'm a idiot when it comes to these carbs, know thats out of the way heres my questions. First off little history I put a Barker exhaust on her 4 wheeler and thats it so I figure I would need to jet it up a little so I purchased a GYTR kit. I pull the carb apart and install the Jet needle (3rd notch from top), main jet (135.0) and the pilot jet (27.5). The factory main jet (133.8) and the pilot jet was (25). I all seemed to work ok no hesitations, no black smoke or anything abnormal and it would run with the air box lid and without, without any problem. So we go to LS in OK for the rally and we where out riding and she runs out of gas put it on res. and get back to camp and fill it up. So we go back out and we are doing some tree chutes, running across the faces of the dunes and shes running it HARD up in the rpms and in about 2 hrs she out of gas again. I like what the hell  ???, the dam thing used more gas than mine did. The only thing I can think is I over jetted it. I pulled the plug and its black and so is her exhaust inside.
Ok I went up 1.2 in jet size and 2.5 in the pilot and I'm running the lid on the airbox. What the hell does the pilot jet do and what is your guys opinion on on jetting. Should I go back to the stock jetting, or remove the airbox lid would possible help lean it out some?

:help: :help: :help: :help: :help:   HELP me I'm lost here.    :help: :help: :help: :help:
2007 Raptor 700SE    Black/Orange

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
Re: 250 Raptor carb question
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 03:17:14 PM »
how big a tank does a 250 have? 2 notches up in jets won't make THAT big a deal. I'm betting the tank didnt get full :) or you have a leak. if it's not one of those...?

I really really really doubt jets made you use that much gas in a small 250. but then again...2 hours of hard riding....no idea.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline russ-russ

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 10
  • I am Epic Win.
    • Email
Re: 250 Raptor carb question
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 08:19:51 PM »
Hey Tony, no way one step up on the main and pilot made that much difference in fuel consumption.  If it's running clean and the plug looks good, then jetting isn't the issue.  Maybe she is just riding the crap out of it in a way she wasn't before?