Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: OMI Steering Stem Mount  (Read 4188 times)

Offline bustedplastic

• Street Cred: 1
    • Email
OMI Steering Stem Mount
« on: March 03, 2009, 11:31:10 PM »
Hello all,

I just finished putting on my OMI Greaseable Steering Stem Mount.

Just thought I would share a few things.

Install:  It is a pain in the ass, but not because of the part, but because of what you have to remove to replace the part.  Front plastics and gas tank all have to be removed, but after you install the new part, you shouldnt have to go through this for quite a while.  Install is no more difficult than replacing/regreasing the original one.  It does use the stock mounting hardware, but it all fit perfectly. :thumbs:

Product:  The actual product is much more robust than the stock parts. It covers more of the stem, the O-ring seals fit very tight, and overall the unit fits very tight.  After install, the steering feels smooth and there is definitely no play or anything.  This will definitely make regreasing easier! 

Thanks for the Group Buy opportunity RS and OMI!

This is my dirty quad with dirty parts everywhere.  I run through ALOT of water and mud. 

The stock parts, nice and worn (I replaced this part early 2008 and regreased after every long weekend trip).

The stem after i cleaned the crap off.

Simple Packaging, instructions included.

After install, I greased it prior to installing, but I just tried greasing it anyways, works great!

Offline Out Back Welding

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 2
  • Out Back Welding
    • Email
Re: OMI Steering Stem Mount
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 04:52:43 PM »
awesome job! cant wait till mine gets here :thumbs:

Offline Warren

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 4
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 08:44:46 PM »
how easy is it to get to with the grease gun after everything is back together? could you get a pic of that?
:( USED TO HAVE:
07 700R raptor SE (black & orange)
DG nerf bars (black, thanks bmust)
custom engine skid, and A-arm gaurds (Thanks bmust)
custom made grab bar & fender mounts (black)
tusk billet gas cap (black)
OMI stem mount
razr2's
Barkers (black)
PCIII
FCI with box
+3 TB

Offline bustedplastic

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 09:27:55 PM »
how easy is it to get to with the grease gun after everything is back together? could you get a pic of that?

i havent reinstalled the plastics yet, but i did just set them on and it looks like at the most you will have to take your front grill off (2 allens) and youll be able to pop it right on...  If i get it back together soon ill snap a picture of it...

Offline machelis

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 06:45:13 PM »
Nice write up. I can't wait for mine to get here. Probably mid next week  :(

Offline Warren

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 4
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 03:16:54 PM »

i havent reinstalled the plastics yet, but i did just set them on and it looks like at the most you will have to take your front grill off (2 allens) and youll be able to pop it right on...  If i get it back together soon ill snap a picture of it...

hey man don't worry about the pics. i got mine put on today. your right it does work great. i noticed a difference right away. i think i'm going to put a 90 degree elbow on my grease zirk though. that way i don't have to take anything off to get to it.
:( USED TO HAVE:
07 700R raptor SE (black & orange)
DG nerf bars (black, thanks bmust)
custom engine skid, and A-arm gaurds (Thanks bmust)
custom made grab bar & fender mounts (black)
tusk billet gas cap (black)
OMI stem mount
razr2's
Barkers (black)
PCIII
FCI with box
+3 TB

Offline VanillaGorilla

• Email
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 01:38:55 PM »
   I dont mean this as a bad thing, but i figured the peice would be aluminum.  For some reason i had it stuck in my head that is was.  I havn't installed mine yet, and was thinking about doing something to it so you wouldn't have to remove anything to grease it.  If you guys come up with somthing let me know.  Then again it has to be alot easier than it was before to grease it.  If all you have to take the hood off that won't be such a big deal.

Offline bustedplastic

• Email
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 04:11:03 PM »
Then again it has to be alot easier than it was before to grease it.  If all you have to take the hood off that won't be such a big deal.

That's how i feel too, I figure 2 minutes of work (two bolts) and the hood pops off, grease it, and back to riding  :D  Much much better than the original!

Offline XC_Raptor700R

• Email
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 11:34:54 AM »
I have one also and wouldn't consider using anything else. I replaced the zerk with a 90 degree one that faces forward, now I can get to it without removing anything.
2006 XC Raptor 700R, Greg's ATV suspension, rear link, Houser +.5" MGC a-arms, anti-vibe stem, flag, Pro Taper bars, full HMF, PCIII, 21/20 RazrII's on DWT Ultimate's

www.gregsatv.com

Offline Xylifrost

• ground control
    • Rescue hovercraft for sale in the US
OMI Steering Stem Mount
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 05:35:28 PM »
I just installed this too - great alternitive to NOS... took me about 45 minutes to install.
To see reliable luxury cars rental deals in Los Angeles check my own resource.

Offline Blair

• VIP
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 07:35:37 PM »
i have had mine for over a year now... (since the original group buy) and love it... my plastics are of quite regularly anyway so greasing is super easy...
"The Difference Between Genius and Stupidity... Genius Has It's Limits"
"Scars are the Tattoo's of the Brave"
06 Raptor 700 SE - Pro Circuit T4 - PCIII - ASV Levers - AC Racing Nerfs - AC belly Skid (broken) - Holeshot XCR - Pro Taper Raptor Bend Bars - Pro-Tec Prefilter Airbox Lid - HID Headlights -