Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: raptor 700 rear shock on 660  (Read 1498 times)

Offline Caliraptor

• Street Cred: 1
  • My Personal UPS Chick
    • Email
raptor 700 rear shock on 660
« on: February 10, 2009, 07:13:52 PM »
a while ago i posted how my dad is using a 700 rear shock on his 660. recently weve been playing with it alittle bit more. to begin here is what we bought:
700 rear shock
700 link
700 dog bone

on the link you need to drill another hole in it, to know where to drill we placed an elka link from a 660 and drilled it there. that will give us the leverage of an elka link using a stock link the 700 shock is exactly as long as an elka long travel for a 660.

at first we had the 700 shock with 660 stock links but with the elka hole.

so now we bolted up the 700 dog bone( longer than 660) and drilled the elka hole on the 700 link.

using all the 700 components gave us around 13" of travel. the only drawback is that it has ALOT of downward travel.....the ressie was hitting the airbox when compressed. another is that the 700 dogbone is longer so its lower than a 660 dog bone. we could not bolt up a prm skidplate, we either need to make a hole in the skid or add spacers to lower the plate

as for performance i tried the 700 shock with 660 components---it was OKAY better than 660 stock though

we then tried the 700 shock along with 700 components---IT WAS GREAT! EVEN BETTER THAN MY ELKA LONG TRAVEL BELIEVE IT OR NOT

to experiment further we tried the 700 shock and 700 link with 660 dogbone to eliminate the clearance issue with the ressie and with the skidplate so in that setup it was kicking a little bit more.

with $100 you can have an awsome upgrade, you can do even better by buying an SE shock because it has a hi/lo knob.

to bolt this setup it was kinda tricky, you need to bolt everything from under the swingarm not over becuase the airbox gets in the way alot when bolting it from the top.

i keep forgetting to have someone videotape the bike in action but it will happen soon. i'll also take some pics later on
Skipping class and tapping ass

Offline fire raptor

• Street Cred: 9
Re: raptor 700 rear shock on 660
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 10:53:23 PM »
Hey Kid, you always do good write ups. Is you Quad up and running yet? Tell you Dad to buy a 700 and he wont have to mess with all that stuff. When will you start racing again? I have a few things going on but hope to get back down south soon. Keep me posted and if you are racing D38 we may drive down for the day to watch. FR.

Offline Caliraptor

• Street Cred: 1
  • My Personal UPS Chick
    • Email
Re: raptor 700 rear shock on 660
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 11:29:12 AM »
my bike is almost done  :( i have a 700 shock on its way but it was shipped on the 21st of jan usps priority mail but its lost somewhere, i just got some ims pegs just waiting for them to arrive  :grin_nod: and i need a new battery and thats it, its finished. my next race is the 22nd of feb over in baja  :clap: my crappy should be ready by then. i might race one or two d38 races just to see how they are, might do a team race over there i just dont know when.  :thumbs: :thumbs:
Skipping class and tapping ass