Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Stock airbox modified  (Read 8913 times)

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
Stock airbox modified
« on: January 18, 2009, 02:03:36 PM »
Well, Today I finally cut down my airbox to allow more airflow, and enable the use of a larger filter.  Ever since I first got my quad and PC3 I've run without my airbox lid, which improved power (dynos have shown 1-1 1/2 more HP without lid), but I have noticed much more sand/dirt in my airbox, filter and intake runner.  :mad:

Allot of the aftermarket intakes (FCI,Monster, Velocity, Fuel ATV) offer their systems without an airbox, and contend that maximum performance is achieved this way.  Both FCI and Fuel ATV have actually gone as far as saying that more dirt gets trapped and eventually introduced to the filter element with an airbox, than without.   Which leaves us trail riders in a dilemma.  We want all-out performance, but we fear water and hi-dust getting to our air filters.  ???

With the conditions here in Colorado, there isn't too much water to contend with, but it's always a possibility.  The dust conditions here are severe, and my pre-filter is caked from dust after every ride.

So basically, my philosophy was to open up my airbox so dust/dirt/sand particles could flow in and out (before it was just in), but I managed to retain the base and mounts of the stock box to act as a splash guard for water.

You can see in this picture, all I did was remove material from both sides between the mounts to about 1 and 1/2 inch from the very base.  I also cut the rear of the box to the base and complete removed the rear.

I also cut inside of the tunnel mounts so I can reattach the tunnel underneath the box

Since the side panel I removed from the shifter side also held the ECU, I relocated the bracket to the tool storage area attached to the rear fender plastics under the seat.

I'm gonna go shopping later for a new filter, but as it is now with the normal Pro-design and K&N filter, I can already feel a slightly better throttle response.

More info to come when I get a new filter, and take it for a ride.

Aaron

Offline wastednuts

• Street Cred: 3
  • Glamis live the life
    • Email
Re: Stock airbox modified
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 03:01:55 PM »
i like this idea good job  :thumbs:

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 03:08:38 PM »
Well, I think I'm gonna order this filter http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RC-4630

it's roughly 3/4 of an inch wider at the base, but 1/2 and inch shorter.  If what FCI and Fuel ATV says is true, a wider based filter will preform better, and the main airflow is drawn from the first 4 inches of the filter already.  The goal is to gain a larger volume inside the filter, so this should help bump some more ponies with out dropping over $300 bones on the FCI or Fuel ATV setups.  ::)

Offline Kenneth

• Site Sponsor
  • Street Cred: 6
  • 270-774-1982
    • KB Motorsports
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 03:44:59 PM »
Well, Today I finally cut down my airbox to allow more airflow, and enable the use of a larger filter.  Ever since I first got my quad and PC3 I've run without my airbox lid, which improved power (dynos have shown 1-1 1/2 more HP without lid), but I have noticed much more sand/dirt in my airbox, filter and intake runner.  :mad:

Allot of the aftermarket intakes (FCI,Monster, Velocity, Fuel ATV) offer their systems without an airbox, and contend that maximum performance is achieved this way.  Both FCI and Fuel ATV have actually gone as far as saying that more dirt gets trapped and eventually introduced to the filter element with an airbox, than without.   Which leaves us trail riders in a dilemma.  We want all-out performance, but we fear water and hi-dust getting to our air filters.  ???

With the conditions here in Colorado, there isn't too much water to contend with, but it's always a possibility.  The dust conditions here are severe, and my pre-filter is caked from dust after every ride.

So basically, my philosophy was to open up my airbox so dust/dirt/sand particles could flow in and out (before it was just in), but I managed to retain the base and mounts of the stock box to act as a splash guard for water.

You can see in this picture, all I did was remove material from both sides between the mounts to about 1 and 1/2 inch from the very base.  I also cut the rear of the box to the base and complete removed the rear.

I also cut inside of the tunnel mounts so I can reattach the tunnel underneath the box

Since the side panel I removed from the shifter side also held the ECU, I relocated the bracket to the tool storage area attached to the rear fender plastics under the seat.

I'm gonna go shopping later for a new filter, but as it is now with the normal Pro-design and K&N filter, I can already feel a slightly better throttle response.

More info to come when I get a new filter, and take it for a ride.

Aaron

That's an awesome idea. A guy I rode with cut his air box as well, but he didn't leave the rear mounts. He cut 3/4 of the box off leaving on the front mounts. He loved the power gained. I only rode with him once. To anyone thinking about purchasing a FCI intake I would definitely  do this free mod first.

KB Motorsports

« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 03:47:45 PM by KB Motorsports »
Our New Facebook Page : www.facebook.com/KBMotorsports2005
Store Hours
Monday - Friday
10:00am - 6:00pm Eastern Time
270-774-1982
Sales@kbmotorsportsonline.com

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 04:25:06 PM »
I just made some rough calculations, and it seems that if I use the RC-4630 filter it will provide ~29% more total internal volume than RC-3130 that comes with the Pro-design kit.

I'm sure there will be more shaving of the box to accomidate this filter, but I also have a plan to shim the prodesign adapter with some tapered rubber foam to gain clearance from the bottom of the airbox, and since the filter is shorter, and there's plenty of room from the top of the filter to the bottom of the seat, it should work.

Aaron

Offline RaptorRandy

• VIP
    • No Mercy Racing
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 05:26:40 PM »
I reccomend you take a serious look at the Velocity design filter they sell at autozone, I went to one and really like it, it gave a nice performance increase, and the price is real reasonable. I also was able to order an outerwear for it online directly from outerwears  :thumbs:

07 Aljo 199LTD toy box
99 F250 PSD

Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
 And lean not on your own understanding;
In all your ways acknowledge him,
And He shall direct your paths.

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 05:28:26 PM »
what's the dimensions Randy?  I'd like to keep the base of my box as a splash guard.

Aaron

Offline 1badazz_700r

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 3
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 06:46:11 PM »
I used a K&N off a gmc denali.Its freakin huge.the power and throttle response was noticed imediatly.its as big as the whole air box.I had to cut the bottom out.

Just a little 778
105.5 WK cylinder CP 11:1
hotrods +5 crank
racersedge +2 head,with webb4
54mmTB with custom intake
sparks X-6exhaust
PC5/w autotune
dynatek programmable
slingshot lockup
+3 stock swingarm
hiper dual beadlocks/w gncc holeshots
flexx bars,burgard+2stem/w antivibe
ASV's
odi's

Offline RaptorRandy

• VIP
    • No Mercy Racing
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 07:51:21 PM »
what's the dimensions Randy?  I'd like to keep the base of my box as a splash guard.

Aaron

I believe it will work just fine with your air box that you modded.  If memory serves me it's around 6" OD at the base and 8'' in overall length.

http://www.autozone.com/R,1890729/store,1172/initialAction,accessoryProductDetail/shopping/accessoryProductDetail.htm

07 Aljo 199LTD toy box
99 F250 PSD

Offline Headrope

• Street Cred: 2
  • All my flavors are guaranteed to satisfy
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 02:30:34 PM »
If I didn't live in the Pacific Northwest I'd be all over your idea. Very nice.
Unfortunately if I want to ride during the off season - I do - I need the air box entact so I can make it across 'little' puddles.
Two '06 700R SEs

Both with:                                          One also with:                   
GYT-R Sport front grab bar                   GYT-R Swingarm guard
GYT-R Engine/frame skid plate             GYT-R Nerf bars
GYT-R A-arm guards                           OMI Steering stem mount
GYT-R Aluminum radiator guard            ODI Lock-on grips

Offline Dhunter1231

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 06:56:01 AM »
hey raptorrandy what is that little k&n filter for?
700 SE, Barker's, FCI, PCIII, Prog. Dyna. Ignition, 11:1 JE, HC 3, Port & Polish, +3 TB

Offline nikita

• Mad Russian
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 07:24:12 AM »
the same question... ???

Offline RaptorRandy

• VIP
    • No Mercy Racing
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 07:34:45 AM »

Sorry guys......I just saw your questions. The little filter is on the end of the crankcase vent tube....In my case I have a KDS evac valve on the end of the breather tube as well. Technically it doesn't need a filter, but I only ride my 700R in the dunes, and there's lots of blowing sand so I didn't want to take any chances of sand getting into the evac valve when the bike was sitting with it's tail to the wind.

:cheers:

Randy   

07 Aljo 199LTD toy box
99 F250 PSD

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 08:07:23 AM »

Sorry guys......I just saw your questions. The little filter is on the end of the crankcase vent tube....In my case I have a KDS evac valve on the end of the breather tube as well. Technically it doesn't need a filter, but I only ride my 700R in the dunes, and there's lots of blowing sand so I didn't want to take any chances of sand getting into the evac valve when the bike was sitting with it's tail to the wind.

:cheers:

Randy   

I have one at the end of my KDS camcover valve too  8)

Offline Dhunter1231

• Email
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 06:56:44 PM »
ohhhh ok gotcha  :thumbs:
700 SE, Barker's, FCI, PCIII, Prog. Dyna. Ignition, 11:1 JE, HC 3, Port & Polish, +3 TB