Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: SBC cam question, step inside. Advice needed.  (Read 4216 times)

Offline disco

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 9
SBC cam question, step inside. Advice needed.
« on: March 29, 2011, 02:39:29 PM »
I've got a Frankenstein build going and need some advice on cam selection.  Sheesh, proofing this and I really ramble on.  I'll have to do a build thread once I get the project rolling.

The Project:

I have a '74 IHC Scout II with a completely rotted body, non-running engine but solid frame/axles.  I have a 327/th350 in the garage.  My rusty gears began turning and an idea creaked to life.  I just picked up a $500 beater S10 reg cab short bed. 

The Engine:

rebuilt 327 sbc (been sitting, will replace all seals)
flat top pistons (supposedly 10:1 but never been calculated) and ran fine on regular pump gas.
291 double hump head castings, , 64cc, 1.94/1.50 heads
block hugger headers
Edelbrock Performer intake

The Cam:

The cam I am looking at is a Lunati Voodoo 60102 hydraulic flat tappet.  I think this might be too big being a smaller engine.  I've heard everybody always overcams then regrets it.  I don't want to do that but I still want to make some power.  These numbers look fine to me.  Would like a second opinion on that. 
    * Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 262/268
    * Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 219/227
    * Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .468/.489
    * LSA/ICL: 112/108
    * Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
    * RPM Range: 1400-5800

Hydraulic. Mid-level performance street cam with excellent drivability. Exceptional replacement for muscle car type cams with automatic transmissions. Works well with stock type exhaust manifolds and dual plane intake with mild 4 bbl carb. This is an Awesome 4X4 and performance marine cam.

The Rest:

will run 2.5" exhaust into some Flowmaster 40s to make some noise.  Probably dump in front of the axle.
3.55 gears, D44 with Lockrite lockers front/rear
has 32" tires.  will go 31" when I replace these.  I know the gearing isn't optimal but in low range should run pretty good.  sticking with smaller tires to crutch the axle strength and somewhat high gearing
Weight is unknown, the heavy body is off and the tank of a 345 SV engine is out.  S10 cab and shortened bed should be much lighter. 
I can run whatever stall I need to, I was planning on 2500 or so advertised. 
I won't be rock crawling, more like trails and some mud.  GERD willing maybe even some sand.   :)

None of my components are very high performance, I'd call them all entry level performance.  Better than stock but not going to make serious power.  I'm thinking with everything kind of down the middle performance wise I should (hopefully) have a decently matched combination.

WTH are you thinking Disco?!?:

Trying to clean up my driveway and get some spare parts out of my garage at the same time.  The engine is free, the Scout was sitting there rusting, I've got a welder and a grinder.  Why the heck not?  Sidenote:  the 2.5L S10 is capable of awesome smokey burnouts.  Standard trans and I can sit there, heel/toe, and smoke them all day long.  Totally smoked out my front yard.  Video will be forthcoming.  And got a bonus roach  :peels: when I cleaned the truck out.  It was nasty, had bugs and stuff in it.

mostly stock with a 12t sprocket of fury

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
Re: SBC cam question, step inside. Advice needed.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 09:02:51 AM »
ummmmmm

yes?
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline preddy08

• MD's baby momma
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 28
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 09:04:51 AM »
I would ask Bo.
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

Online Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 01:04:41 PM »
I know SBC are super common. But I've never worked on one even. Only dealt w/ ferd and mopars.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Kamakazi

• Canucks
  • Street Cred: 6
  • even dodge dealerships wont take a ford on trade
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 04:17:27 PM »
i dont know how to read cam specs very well but i can tell you that to get the most out of a cam, as long as you match it with a proper stall torque converter, you can never over cam an engine.  That being said if you want it for a 4x4ing toy you might be better off with a torquer cam and a stock converter as a higher stall will not be favorable or predictable enough while 4x4ing and alot harder on parts.
98% of north americans that hit the ditch say "oh shit", the other 2% are from saskatchewan and say "hold my beer and watch this"

Offline disco

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 08:08:57 PM »
<<<MODS>>>  Maybe move this to a more appropriate section?  Members Rides or something?  I can turn this into a build thread once I get the ball rolling.  Yep, a 4x4 truck build on  a Raptor site.  I didn't color inside the lines much as a kid either.  :lol: 

Well I pulled the trigger on that cam yesterday and it's on the way.  Guess I should have updated my post.  The duration numbers aren't that bad.  The next cam up is way too big for my application while the one below it almost doesn't look worth it.  If I absolutely can't live with it I can always pull it out.  I'm about to slap some Vortec heads on it.  That's a whole other can of worms but lots of people swear by them.  170cc(?) intake runners, good velocity and improved port designs over my current heads.  My old school M/T's won't fit on them though, dangit.

I figure I'll run enough stall to let it rev a little before it really grabs.  With the old engine I've had to stomp both feet on the brakes when in low range and a high idle. Engine powers right through the brakes.  Read one account on Pirate where a guy prefers a higher stall for that exact reason.     

I won't be doing anything to firm up the shifts.  I'm envisioning blown u-joints at inopportune moments like that. 

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 11:48:56 AM »
Update?

Offline disco

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 10:00:11 PM »
Wow! Been a while.  Bought that cam I was asking about, got some Vortec heads and had some machine work done to them, then work went nuts, got super busy and I haven't had a chance to do anything else with it.  Everything is in pieces right now.  Looks really nice at my place right now.  *cough