Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Has Anyone changed carrier bearings?  (Read 11420 times)

Offline wobble

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 2
Re: Has Anyone changed carrier bearings?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 10:57:16 AM »

Wow this is great information from Dave and Frank.  :thumbs:

Randy, you should make this a sticky.  ;)

I'll probably be doing my buddy's bearings before trail riding season in a couple months. I'll try to remember to take some pics while we are doing it. It really isn't hard to do at all. Goes quick. I was surprised at how easy it was. Cussed myself out for procrastinating so long on it.  :lol:

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2008, 11:17:58 AM »
damn. I guess I didn't hit submit.... :lol:

Isn't it stupid rediculous that the pivot works or ANY aftermarket bearing kit is cheaper than OEM... ???

Bass Turds  ::)

Randy, you should make this a sticky.  ;)

Done  :thumbs:

Offline r00st

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 1
  • Rappy 700 = Money PIT!
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2008, 09:56:33 PM »
All Balls makes great bearings. I am not sure if they carry them for the 700? I put some in my DS730 before I sold it (was a bear as it was totally frozen up) but its not a bad install at all.
Check ebay or rocky for the all balls.

Another tip to make install go even easier...is put the grease packed bearings in a ziplock inside your freezer for about an hour...than put your carrier on a cookie sheet in the over set @ about 300 for 10-15 minutes. Pull the carrier out and the bearings, and they will pretty much drop right in (you can tap them in with a plastic hammer very easily) Saves you from having to pound in the bearings!

I didnt use a bearing installer kit on the DS...just used a really large socket (I actually think it was my counter shaft socket) and it fits over the bearings perfectly.
2007 Raptor 700 SE
With some SHTUFF

Offline russ-russ

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 10
  • I am Epic Win.
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2008, 10:04:21 PM »
One thing to note for anyone thinking of going to an aftermarket carrier, the stock 700 carrier is a twin row setup.  Two bearings on each side. :thumbs:  The freezer/over trick will save you some serious grief, also the same type of trick for removing the stock bearings from the carrier, use a propane torch to heat the carrier and the old bearings will drop out much easier.

Offline digitalhearing

• Email
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2008, 10:12:19 PM »
Thanks for the detailed information on the freezer-oven trick,  I still haven't tackled this but I will need to soon as my new swingarm should be done any time.  Thanks again, I can't wait to "drop" them in.   :)

Grant
This Forum Rocks !

Offline r00st

• VIP
  • Rappy 700 = Money PIT!
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2008, 11:03:08 PM »
Believe you me, having them drop right in with a couple light taps is far better than trying to do it at room temp. The idea of slamming a hammer on brand new bearings just makes me cringe!

The DS730 I had was a 2001 and I did the bearings this year (so 7 years on stock bearings!)...It took 3 guys a case of beer and about 6-8 hours to get that damn job done. I learned my lesson, and will change out the bearings a little more often :)

Overall if there are no hiccups (such as a stuck axle...or the carrier gets stuck in the swinger...mine did both) then its really a simple project!
2007 Raptor 700 SE
With some SHTUFF

Offline wobble

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 2
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2008, 08:43:06 AM »

Another tip to make install go even easier...is put the grease packed bearings in a ziplock inside your freezer for about an hour...than put your carrier on a cookie sheet in the over set @ about 300 for 10-15 minutes. Pull the carrier out and the bearings, and they will pretty much drop right in (you can tap them in with a plastic hammer very easily) Saves you from having to pound in the bearings!

I didnt use a bearing installer kit on the DS...just used a really large socket (I actually think it was my counter shaft socket) and it fits over the bearings perfectly.

Good call r00st. I forgot all about that step. Although I didn't put the carrier in the oven, I did have the bearings in the freezer before install. Really helped them go in MUCH easier.

Offline Danny T

• Street Cred: 3
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2008, 09:38:54 AM »
Thanks for all the tips guys, my brothers bearings are out and have lots of play.

Is it difficult to get the actual carrier out? ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Thanks

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2008, 09:43:56 AM »
Thanks for all the tips guys, my brothers bearings are out and have lots of play.

Is it difficult to get the actual carrier out? ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Thanks

The actual carrier is pretty easy. You have to take off the complete right side of the axle.. Hub, Brake rotor, and axle nut. (and make sure to take the chain off. Once that'd done loosen the 4 pinch bolts on the swinger and it should slide out to the right.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline 700crazzzynuttts

• Street Cred: 0
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2008, 07:37:23 PM »
If ya would like to do away with those pesky ball bearings :(!! then I highly suggest contacting RPM, they have the cure :thumbs:. taper roller bearings :clap:

damn mods are killing me, b**ch is fast though

Offline Bert

• Street Cred: 7
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2008, 12:02:57 AM »
If ya would like to do away with those pesky ball bearings :(!! then I highly suggest contacting RPM, they have the cure :thumbs:. taper roller bearings :clap:
It would be great if Brad @ RPM had a core exchange program to minimize downtime  ???

Offline SandDragon

• Poison Control Racing
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2008, 09:18:28 PM »
NEVER hit your bearings with a hammer!!!  Bearings are always made to tight tolerance so that the bearing stays put on the outside and spins on the inside, or visa versa.  Heated aluminum becomes brittle, yes cylinders are heated to drop sleeves and such, but I'm not 100% on the temperature. There is a breakover point where it is a no-no to heat the aluminum.  Just be careful as to how hot you get the pieces.  IMO it is always better to press bearings in or on than whack em'.  If you must whack em'... always use a piece of wood or other "buffer" to avoid direct contact between a bearing and a hammer.  At least you aren't working on a 660... those rear ends are a pain in the ... rear end. LOL.    :P

Offline mustangracer42

• VIP
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2009, 08:31:57 AM »
All Balls makes great bearings. I am not sure if they carry them for the 700? I put some in my DS730 before I sold it (was a bear as it was totally frozen up) but its not a bad install at all.
Check ebay or rocky for the all balls.

I'm doing this replacement right now but have a question.  Obviously there are two brgs on each side but in the pkg of new brgs I got it has two of them with a seal on the inside and outside  and the other two brgs only have a seal on one side.  What order do they go in?  I'm guessing that it's one totally sealed brg and one half sealed brg on each side but which way does the open sid of the half sealed brg go? 

Did I explain this well enough for somebody to help me out?

Thanks in advance

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2009, 10:02:33 AM »
Mine were placed. double sealed ones on the outside, and the single inside w/ the seal facing inside.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline mustangracer42

• VIP
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2009, 12:12:55 PM »
that's what I thought but it always helps to have that litytle bit of reassurance form somebody who's already done it.

Thanks Randy

:thumbs: