Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Has Anyone changed carrier bearings?  (Read 11415 times)

Offline digitalhearing

• Street Cred: 1
    • Email
Has Anyone changed carrier bearings?
« on: August 13, 2008, 04:39:05 PM »
I was at the dyno last week and my dyno tuner, David @ Roosterbuilt said that my bearings are sounding shot, and getting louder than when he first put the bike on the dyno.  I just ordered and received a set of pivot works bearings.  Anyone know how to get the old ones out and put the new ones in?  Do i need a press or do they drive out with a punch and hammer?  Any help is appreciated.

Grant
This Forum Rocks !

Offline preddy08

• MD's baby momma
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 28
    • Email
Re: Has Anyone changed carrier bearings?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 05:11:25 PM »
I was at the dyno last week and my dyno tuner, David @ Roosterbuilt said that my bearings are sounding shot, and getting louder than when he first put the bike on the dyno.  I just ordered and received a set of pivot works bearings.  Anyone know how to get the old ones out and put the new ones in?  Do i need a press or do they drive out with a punch and hammer?  Any help is appreciated.

Grant

Are you talking about carrier bearings or swingarm pivot bearings?
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

Offline digitalhearing

• Email
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 08:03:17 PM »
The Carrier bearings at the rear of the swingarm where the axle goes through.  Wore out   :'(

Grant
This Forum Rocks !

Offline preddy08

• MD's baby momma
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 28
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 08:53:37 PM »
The Carrier bearings at the rear of the swingarm where the axle goes through.  Wore out   :'(

Grant

I have never replaced the actual bearing inside the carrier. I dont really see the point when there are better, cheap options out there. I would replace the whole carier with a good aftermarket twin row carrier.

When I was young I hade a race ready 300ex and a shop tried to nick me for 500 bucks for a new carrier. If you lifted the rear of the quad off the ground it had 1/2" of slop in the carrier :jaw:
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

Offline NaturalRaptor

• Potato King
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 8
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 09:17:25 PM »
I dont remember where but Richw3533 had post some info on this subject before. Also, like Preddy stated the aftermarket carriers are better since you are at that point.

On my old 660 the bearings seized up and took the carrier to the dealer to get the old bearings out. They just beat them out with a hammer and pressed the new ones in. Charged me about $50 bucks. Good luck! Let me know what you end up doing.  :thumbs:
It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.

Offline 1FST690

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 09:25:12 PM »
Grant,

I havent done a 700 but you should be able to pull the seals out. Place the carrier on a block of wood vertically and using a long skinny punch, go from one side to the bearing on the other side. Pound it out, rotate carrier and repeat! Give me a shout if you have ant troubles :thumbs:

Frank
04 686 Duner
02 NMR 650+ modified "High Mainenance"
02 Scrambler 500
02 Sportsman 500HO ( For Sale )

Offline wobble

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 2
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 09:32:30 PM »
Grant,

I just did mine about 2 months ago. Piece of cake. I used a large screw driver, hammer, vice, and a bearing installer kit. Didn't take long at all. Pryed the seals out, put carrier in vice (carefully with it wrapped in a towel to prevent any consmetic damage), used the large screwdriver and hammer to pound the bearings out from the top. They will come out with some persuasion. I then used some emory cloth to smooth out the inside of the carrier. Smear a little lithium grease inside the carrier and gently pounded the new ones in using a bearing installer kit. They went in without too much effort. Then I put the new seals in and you're all set.

PM or reply if you need any specific info.

HTH,
Dave

Offline Sandeater

• Street Cred: 3
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 10:36:08 PM »
How much are the new bearings by themselves?
My Sand Only Queen
Currently being rebuilt
2006 RE 778
Slingshot Lockup
+6 SLC Ladder Swingarm
Paint by JK Customs

Offline wobble

• VIP
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 10:42:52 PM »
When I checked Yamaha OEM it was $150 for four bearings and two seals. Pivot works kit that includes four bearings and two seals are $53.

Offline digitalhearing

• Email
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 11:22:46 PM »
Grant,

I just did mine about 2 months ago. Piece of cake. I used a large screw driver, hammer, vice, and a bearing installer kit. Didn't take long at all. Pryed the seals out, put carrier in vice (carefully with it wrapped in a towel to prevent any consmetic damage), used the large screwdriver and hammer to pound the bearings out from the top. They will come out with some persuasion. I then used some emory cloth to smooth out the inside of the carrier. Smear a little lithium grease inside the carrier and gently pounded the new ones in using a bearing installer kit. They went in without too much effort. Then I put the new seals in and you're all set.

PM or reply if you need any specific info.

HTH,
Dave

Thanks Dave and Frank,  What is the bearing installer kit consist of?  I will follow your steps and try it myself.  To everyone else, thanks for the advice on the new carrier (aftermarket).  I like the stock carrier cause it is quite a bit lighter weight than the modquad for instance.  I took the modquad off cause it was at LEAST a pound if not more heavier than the stocker.  I picked up the bearings for aprox. $50.00 bucks so with a little elbow grease, I should be in good shape and stay light.

Grant
This Forum Rocks !

Offline wobble

• VIP
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 06:06:29 AM »
What is the bearing installer kit consist of?
Grant

Mine is similar to this:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200354177_200354177

If you had a large socket or something that is the same diameter as the bearings, it would work as well. The idea is when you tap the bearing in, the force is applied to the entire circumference of the bearing. This prevents the bearing from being damaged and/or getting cocked to one side or the other. If the bearing remains level with the carrier, it doesn't take much force at all to seat them in place.

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 07:21:37 AM »
damn. I guess I didn't hit submit.... :lol:

Isn't it stupid rediculous that the pivot works or ANY aftermarket bearing kit is cheaper than OEM... ???

bastards  ::)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline NaturalRaptor

• Potato King
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 8
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 07:31:58 AM »
damn. I guess I didn't hit submit.... :lol:

Isn't it stupid rediculous that the pivot works or ANY aftermarket bearing kit is cheaper than OEM... ???

Bass Turds  ::)

Wow this is great information from Dave and Frank.  :thumbs:

Randy, you should make this a sticky.  ;)
It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.

Offline digitalhearing

• Email
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 08:19:21 AM »
Yea, that is good information.  That kit has alot of different sizes, I will be lucky to come up with something the same size.  One of those rare tools that makes it hard to purchase one and only use it a couple of times in a lifetime   ???

Grant
This Forum Rocks !

Offline wobble

• VIP
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 10:52:39 AM »
Here's one a little cheaper:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95853

We have a harbor freight store right down the road from us. I'd be happy to let you use mine, but you live a little farther south than I do. Would be quite a drive.