Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Another Raptor 80 question  (Read 2998 times)

Offline Kevo700r

• Street Cred: 0
Another Raptor 80 question
« on: July 09, 2008, 03:39:39 PM »
We are have trouble with the carb. We have fuel to the carb but can't keep fuel in the bowl. We put fuel in the bowl and run it for a few and it empties out. I have tore it a part and cleaned it. Is it some thing easy I am missing?
Kev

Offline Bert

• Street Cred: 7
    • Email
Re: Another Raptor 80 question
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 11:27:04 PM »
Have you found the problem?

Offline Kevo700r

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 08:26:11 PM »
Not a thing. He has given up right now. No much to the carb but I have no idea. Booooo  ???

Offline Bert

• Street Cred: 7
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 11:14:50 PM »
I can't help, I know nothing about carbs either  ???

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 09:48:19 AM »
Does the carb have a built in pump? Is it gravity fed?  or is there an external pump? I think your problem lies somewhere in that region. I know in my old Snowmobile, it had an external Mikuni Fuel pump butterfly style, and the plastic butterfly inside the pump went bad. was a $10 kit to fix it from Dennis Kirk.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Kevo700r

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 02:03:46 PM »
i believe it is gravity. that's why it is blowing my mind. could the float have something to do with it? I will check again with my buddy. (his kids quad)

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 02:06:08 PM »
dang.

Umm, the float "COULD" have something to do with it.. on my bro's mini-bike, carb is gravity fed. on the floats they are hooked to a metal butterfly thing, which pivots on one end. when the float goes down the butterfly falls and pushes on a needle valve which lets more gas in. Could be something like that as well.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Kevo700r

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 02:17:01 PM »
i just don't know. I am thinking if the float is stuck in the up pos. will it not allow fuel in the bowl?

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 02:20:15 PM »
i just don't know. I am thinking if the float is stuck in the up pos. will it not allow fuel in the bowl?

If it was stuck in the up position. You are Correct. It won't allow fuel in.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 06:10:14 PM »
totally have a stuck float valve, or stuck float. Not a tough fix. Floats push spring loaded needle valve, to open or shut. My bet would be needle valve is stuck to the valve seat or seal. I had opposite problem on 660. Got sand in it from dunes, valve stuck open. Puddle of gas on the trailer, relatively easy fix though.

Once, I had a honda 400 motorcycle with leaking bowl problem..new floats, floats I got were too big and would get stuck open when bowl was full, so it would run great for 5 minutes, then flood, then gas would start pouring out of the bowls. Your floats may be stuck down.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Kevo700r

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 03:41:56 PM »
Cool guys. I will let my buddy know. I will keep you posted when we give it a shot.

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 12:47:10 PM »
Any word back?

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline fredyd

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 08:24:50 AM »
Did you get it fixed? If not I’ve had to fix a few carbs that didn’t have the bowl aligned right. I haven’t pulled apart a raptor carb but a lot of them won’t let the float come down if it isn’t lined up properly. There isn’t as much clearness in there as one would think. Another thing to ask is, has anyone pulled the old tap on the bowl with something hard trick? Definitely a no no. I fixed one last week for a guy who tapped on the bowl with a rock and dented it in just enough (Nearly unnoticeable) to hold the float up. If you have the carb off a simple trick to check if the float is moving is  to give it a shake up and down and listen for the sound of the float going up and down. 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 08:35:59 AM by fredyd »