Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Lose your reverse limiter but keep the reverse light  (Read 3011 times)

Offline UncleBeaner

• Original Gangsta
  • Super Chat Moderator
  • Street Cred: 17
  • el oh el
    • Brian'smomhastheclap.com
    • Email
Lose your reverse limiter but keep the reverse light
« on: May 08, 2008, 07:31:43 PM »
Okay, here's how to eliminate the reverse limiter but still have the light.  Less than $10 in Radio Shack parts.  You will need to solder wires to the new relay (or have a friend do it for you), but it's quite simple.  Make sure to use shrink tube or electrical tape or hot melt glue on the relay's soldered joints and on the one wire left free after cutting (Green and Blue).

I suggest you do this in the battery box near the CDI since all the wires come to the largest of the 3 CDI connectors.  Then velcro or double stick tape or somehow mount the new relay next to the starter relay. 

I suggest you use quick splice connectors because they are very easy to splice into an exisitng wire.  Else, cut away a bit of insulation,  solder and then tape well!  Nothing here is high current, so 24 gauge wire or so will do fine for your additions. (also available from Radio Shack). 

EDIT:  SOLDERING AND SHRINK TUBING THESE JOINTS WILL MAKE A BETTER, LONGER LASTING CONNECTION, THE E-Z SPLICES ARE SUGGESTED SOLELY FOR EASE OF CONNECTION FOR THOSE WHOSE SOLDERING SKILLS ARE LACKING.  YOU CAN ALSO USE WATERPROOF WIRE NUTS MADE FOR SPRINKLER VALVES, AVAILABLE AT HOME DEPOT OR EQUIV.  QM

How it works:

The relay is actuated when the reverse switch connects to ground (quad is NOT in reverse).  When the relay is off (quad's IN reverse), the wiring is such that the relay pulls the reverse light connection to ground.  The other end of the reverse light is already attached to key switch controlled 12V. This turns the reverse light on, but only if the key switch is on too.  If the key switch is off, nothing gets powered.

Notice that the CDI's reverse switch connection is always connected to ground, so it won't ever turn on the limiter.

-QUADMANIAC
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 11:01:13 PM by UncleBeaner »
:beans:

Offline QuadManiac

• Street Cred: 0
Re: Lose your reverse limiter but keep the reverse light
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 12:05:38 PM »
Beaner... you rotten, filthy, stinkin, not to mention UGLY thief.  Ever hear of the word plagarism???   :rofl:  FYI, Beaner, you're supposed to give mention of the true author/source when you reference his/her work elsewhere.

Anyway, the image I made for my sticky (on that OTHER site) that you stole is missing so I thought it might be needed.  Here ya go -

« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 12:09:32 PM by QuadManiac »

Online Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 12:14:42 PM »
Thanks for posting that QuadManiac. I just credited the source.

And you're right about beaner being Ugly....  :lol:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline BRAD

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 4
  • Constant Victim of Grammar Ninja
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 02:03:13 PM »
Thanks for posting that QuadManiac. I just credited the source.

And you're right about beaner being Ugly....  :lol:

:lol: an Ugly Beaner
2007 GYTR Raptor
ROCK series skids
Yoshimura RS7
Motoworks Fuel programmer-(Dobeck Style)
Holeshot HD tires

Offline zacharkins

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 11:21:14 AM »
im going to do this sometime this week but am having a hard time following your directions   do you hby any chance have any pics that show it instead of just the schematic?